But You Did Not Persuade Me

I hope “dogfooding” made it into the list of programming jargon in your previous post.

Leading by example is probably one of the best techniques to earn more respect and have your team motivated.

The vive.ly link is probably causing a lot of deley on your blog…I am seeing this from past few days. not sure if anyone else has noticed this slowness yet. It takes almost 30 seconds to open each page on your blog which used to be fraction of seconds in past.

That clip is one of my favorite movie moments of all time. The man is truly terrifying.

You think there’s no anger in Letter from a Birmingham Jail? Really? I think there’s a barely contained (and to be clear, fully justified) rage. It’s civil, yes. And it’s lacking in invective, yes. But Martin Luther King Jr wasn’t some smiling Buddha. He just had the rare gift of channelling his anger completely into trying to make the world better.

“There comes a time when the cup of endurance runs over, and men are no longer willing to be plunged into the abyss of despair.” That whole glorious paragraph wasn’t written without anger behind the pen.

“The ultimate management challenge is responsibility without authority.”

I was told that within the first year or so of my career, i.e. early 20’s, and it’s stuck in my head 30 years later (and quoted many times along the way!). It turned out to be somewhat prophetic for me as I kept ending up in jobs where my ability to accomplish objectives often required contributions from people over whom I had no authority.

I like to think I did pretty well at that… My approach was pretty simple – earn the respect needed overall as an individual as well as specific to the challenge. If what you’re doing is logical and is consistent with the goals of the organization – i.e. “yup, that’s a great idea” – it’s much easier to be persuasive.

“Persuasion” is a neutral term – the simple act of getting others to agree with you. It’s the intention of persuasion where things get ugly — “manipulation” is a not-so-neutral term and note that some will argue that some manipulation is in the best interests of others, but I’m kind of slow to drink kool-aid.

This is essential when working with management figures. Those people got to where they are by getting their way. So, in dealing with them, you have to figure out how to get your way. More often than not, this results in a resolution that satisfies both parties involved, which is not an way thing to do.

“You Did Not Persuade Me” is required viewing for my class on Completed Staff Work at The Catholic University of America.

2 Likes

I found this article very interesting to read and analyze, as well as relate back to CSW. In my opinion, I feel that Nicholas is more at fault for not selling the idea and not being persuasive enough than Idi Amin is for not listening. Persuasion is a key component to effecting change in both work and life. So often in the workplace, especially in the tech industry, persuasion is swept under the rug. The ability to persuade others is such an important trait to have in order to influence others and make effective change. As mentioned in the article, one can go about persuasion through leading by example. This idea is particularly interesting to relate to what we have learned in our Completed Staff Work class. In any organization, those in charge must be role models to their subordinates, and encourage everybody to make changes within the organization. This can be done through persuasion. The quote that resonated with me from this article was “Nobody ever changed anything by remaining quiet, idly standing by, or blending into the faceless, voiceless masses. If you ever want to effect change, in your work, in your life, you must learn to persuade others.” Great article!

2 Likes

I’ve been reading many of these old topics and so many are so true today. And some of them actually make me laugh out loud with some of things people saying (jokingly).

The old advice that has never lost its value, “lead by example” has been around for thousands of years and will be for thousands more.

2 Likes

In the movie scene, the advisor didn’t persuade the dictator even though he told him to do the right move. The power of persuasion is important in anything that requires other humans. It can even be useful with friends to do the activities you want to do. Marketing is one way of persuasion like the example of the electrical engineer or a company trying to get them to buy their product. The VP of Engineering at Etsy had to persuade his staff in blogs to do his ideas, if that fails then he resorts to needing to lobby for it, but at the end of the day it requires persuasion to get things done with humans. The VP believes that everyone ideas make the vision of the company. The best persuasion is to use statistics but cannot be used in every case. The only way to persuade someone is through talking and not being quiet. A good way to persuade people is by leading by example, because if they see your willing to do something there is no reason, they cannot do it for themselves. I remember being in my engineering class in high school when I would come up with good ideas that did not get used because I was not persuasive enough. The other idea ended up being worse, but because he was more persuasive got his idea through.

2 Likes

In the scene from the The Last King of Scotland, dictator Idi Amin is at fault. Although it is imperative that an advisor must be able to persuade his boss on what he should do, it is just as important that the boss trust his advisor enough to not need such incredible amounts of persuasion. In matters of urgency (which this scene implies), there is not enough time for persuasion. If Nicholas was truly an advisor, Idi Amin would trust his recommendation. If he still wasn’t sure, he could have asked Nicholas to defend his recommendation. If in fact, Nicholas could not defend his reasoning on why he recommended what he did, then there would be a problem. But for Idi Amin to blame Nicholas for his own fault when Nicholas in fact recommended what Amin wished he did is wrong. Without seeing the movie, the dilemma seems avoidable with either a stronger sense of trust in Nicholas or better communication skills between the two of them. It is definitely Idi Amin’s fault as he made the wrong decision and wrongly accused Nicholas to blame for the situation.

2 Likes

From the short clip of the movie, I found this scene to be incredibly interesting. This article was very insightful and accurate. It is true that, as a staffer, you must be able to persuade your manager. It is an essential development skill in business life. Persuasion usually has a negative connotation, however, that is not always the case. It actually helps one come to an agreement or a general consensus. In business, persuasion can help you effectively communicate your opinions or ideas. As the blog states, it can also help you market yourself. When we are at a job interview, that it essentially what we do. We persuade the employer that we will be a great addition to the company. It is definitely a trait that could help you work your way up to the top.

1 Like

This is a great more t clip that demonstrates the power between “hearing” something and “listening” to it. I would have to say that it is Nicholas’ fault because it is the job of the subordinate to present an idea to the manager in a way that is effective, concise, and meaningful. Idi perhaps heard his suggestion but he did not listen to it because it did not strike him as valuable. It is important to be able to communicate things in a way that encompasses their importance. In an organization, the boss does not have time to decipher or interpret what you are saying. it should be black and white and include the details needed for the boss to make a decision based on your command. The issue with this video is that Nicholas simply suggested something rather than ordering it. A suggestion becomes an order (from a subordinate) as a result of persuasion. You cannot tell people what to do. but your opinion can be so compelling that it can lead them to change their perspective. While persuading it is important to appeal to trust and emotion; these are characteristics that make the opinion more personal to the receiver.

1 Like

As the movie clip from The last king of Scotland, it shows you the importance of persuasion. When I relate it to CSW I feel Nicholas is the guy to blame because he did not persuade Idi Amin to not throw the Asians out, however, it is also the Idi Amin fault because he looks like a fierce dictator. It is very important for the advisor to persuade his/her boss on what to do and also it is important for the boss to give confidence to the employees to take this step and be comfortable persuading them. Many great ideas, specially in the technology industry has fallen to the floor because of the lack of persuasion. Persuasion can also help you in your personal life for example, by marketing yourself in job interviews and showing the employer how a great addition to the company you will be.

1 Like

This movie scene is great for our class completed staff work because it shows the importance of being able to manage your manager. In this scene Nicholas is trying to pick up the pieces to a mistake that Idi Amin made. But why does Nicholas have to pick up the pieces? Simply because he did not correctly manage his manager. While Nicholas had clearly told Idi Amin not to kick the Asians out, he did so in a way that presented no benefits or upside in the eyes of Amin. So why would the manager listen, especially when he is a powerful man. Nicholas should have known his audience when he first presented Amin with the idea, he did not speak to Amin because he did not come across as confident. Nicholas, presented with a very dangerous situation now, finds a way to fix the problem because Amin knows now that Nicholas is a smart man and that is what convinces him. The fact that he was correct about the Asians is his only saving grace, so Amin listens to him even asks him what to do. If Nicholas had been persuasive enough in the first place this entire situation would never have happened.

2 Likes

This movie scene is perfect for our class Completed Staff Work at CUA because it shows the importance of being able to manage and PERSUADE your manager. In this scene Nicholas is trying to fix the broken pieces of a mistake that Idi Amin made. Why does Nicholas have to pick up the pieces?Strictly because Nicholas did not correctly manage his manager or persuade him to make the correct decision. Even though Nicholas had clearly told Idi Amin not to kick
the Asians out, he did so in a way that presented no benefits or plus side to the conflict involving the admin. Therefore, why would the manager listen so an argument that is not persuasive, especially when he is a powerful manager. Nicholas should have been more aware of his audience when he first presented Amin with the quick idea. Because of this lack of understanding, the message was not delivered efficiently. Nicholas was presented with a very dangerous situation and now he finds a way to fix the problem because Amin knows now that Nicholas is a smart man. And from there he should be convinced. The fact that he was correct about the Asian situation is his only saving
grace, so Amin listens to him and gets tips from him on what to do. However, if Nicholas had been persuasive enough in the first place this entire situation would never have happened.

1 Like

Persuasion is a powerful asset to add to any staffer hoping to climb the ranks of their organization. This movie clip was so intriguing because of the trueness behind the script. When trust is built between an employee and an employer, there isn’t anything besides a collapse of a performance that will hinder the employer’s thought process. When they trust in you, they will continue to do so until given reason not to. By being a completed staffer, you open yourself up for more opportunities such as seen in the video. More is expected of you, but the feeling of making your employer proud is very rewarding. The clip shows examples of how being consistently efficient can boost your rapport with your boss. Nicholas could have taken a step further and provided Amin with quality options by anticipating this coming - but then we wouldn’t have this golden opportunity to dive into this interesting scene. Even the most highest positions require counseling and the best staffer is the one they will go to for advice on business ventures. Providing your boss with options before they ask you to do so is a sound way to solidify your relationship with the organization.

1 Like

Nicholas, I believe, is at fault for not persuading Idi Amin. When presenting valuable information to someone who needs to hear it, persuasion is everything. What good is information alone without proper messaging? As the article states, “to have any hope of influencing others, you must be able to persuade them.” To truly convey your message to another person, both information and persuasion must be present.
The Letter from Birmingham Jail is a famous example of highly persuasive messaging. What was it about this letter that made it so compelling? As the article asked, what techniques did it use to sound so persuasive? How did Martin Luther King Jr. use the information at hand to persuade? Asking these questions can lead to a discovery of what makes up a persuasive message.
Perhaps if Nicholas knew how to make his delivery of information more persuasive, Idi Amin would have heard him the first time. If we want our message to reach the people we are speaking to, we must persuade them. As history has shown us, never using your voice will never have an impact. However, effecting change is possible when we learn how to persuade.

1 Like

After reading this article and seeing this clip, I see the reason why this is a required viewing for this course. This is such a vital example of the ways in which a manager must provide an example of how an individual must behave but also serves as an example of the versatility that is required of an employee. One must be willing to, at times, sacrifice their natural behavioral manners in order to be as efficient and productive as possible. In the clip we see that the advisor was put to blame for not being forceful enough while attempting to persuade the dictator, Idi Amin, of what he believed was the correct move. Although the dictator is at fault in this situation due to his lack of professionalism and misuse of collective intelligence, it does reveal the fact that in order to be a efficient advisor, you need to know how to effectively communicate with your leader especially in times of urgency. The skills needed to be able to persuade someone in a higher position are often overlooked but are crucial to a successful life in business and demonstrate a confidence which is often sought after.

1 Like

It is a very important skill to be able to convince the boss as to make a decision in what to do. It is not just the job of an assistant to spout off ideas for possible directions. The key is to understand the position and make a more educated and practical judgment. Deeper thought and being forced to defend or explain your decisions and recommendations is key to work out kinks and further improve the idea. When the duty of an advisor is to give quality ideas, not quantity of ideas.

1 Like