Do You Wanna Touch

As other commenters have pointed out, touch and/or keyboard exists on other devices and in some cases have existed for a long time, but the point is that Microsoft has pulled a trick from Apple’s playbook:

They’ve used their influence and position combined with actually doing something very well to make it popular.

The Surface hardware combined with the Win8 Modern UI has shown us that even though these things are first generation, there’s a bright future for this style of computing AND Microsoft’s muscle has given it a huge boost.

Writing with the iPad and a bluetooth keyboard are the most fulfilling experience I’ve had with a computer so far.

That is something I don’t understand about Surface: you could attach a keyboard to the iPad from day one. So basically the Surface is inferior in every way. Why would anyone buy one?

The difference I see is that the iPad was never marketed that way.

When I got the iPad2 (my first iPad), I had the same initial wow response as most. But I knew it would mostly wear off soon and it did. My 8 year old daughter was logging more time on it than me (and she was only allowed to use it for 20-60 minutes a day).

Then I bought the Zagg Folio Keyboard/Case for it. It was suddenly as close as you can get to a traditional laptop and once I downloaded various productivity and writing/coding apps, the thing became incredibly more useful to me and I loved taking it places now… knowing that I could actually TYPE and WORK on it.

I have since bought a MacBook Air since my old MBP was becoming problematic. The Air is probably my favorite computer, ever. But I have constantly speculated that Apple’s next significant product will be… needs to be… the MacBook AirTouch. I see absolutely no downside to having the Air screen be a Touch screen and being able to toggle iOS and OSX. In fact, I believe thats what Microsoft has done (2 OS on Surface RT). I can see how having a 2 OS admits to an incomplete vision in a way. A perfectionist might cringe at the idea. But realistically, if UIs are tuned to different usage modes then it is an acceptable approach to dealing with Touch and Non-Touch experiences.

The future will lead to a harmonious single OS core that handles a variety of experiences tuned to certain devices and form factors. Apple and Microsoft and Google are heading in that direction. They have to. The only problem will be in how much new restriction is built into this new era of computers… Post-PCs or whatever. New walled gardens and app ecosystems that allow these companies to better leverage and monetize what is built for what they build. Pros and cons.

Anyway… I seriously would love to own the MacBook AirTouch :wink:

The first time I ever saw a ClamCase for the iPad I thought the same thing. They mix the best of both worlds. The full keyboard with the ability to touch and interact with the screen.

Awesome post.

@Petebob796
Actually, you can use the pen on a Surface RT, but it doesn’t come bundled with one as the Pro does. I also do not know if it has the same sampling resolution.

It’s not a laptop killer because it lacks a hinge. You can’t use the keyboard unless you have a table to rest the device on.

“Don’t even consider buying a Surface without the touch keyboard cover. Within an hour or so I was hitting 80% of my regular typing speed on it” << #notTrue

You must be out of this planet then. I could hit 80% of my regular speed only with the TYPE cover.

I kept doing typewriting speed tests to see how fast I could get with the touch cover and I could never get past 55% of my speed with a regular keyboard (~90 to 110wpm)

I’m surprised you totally missed the Asus Transformer. This tablet really defined this space that you correctly identify as a really powerful mix of laptop and tablet. The Asus Transformer Infinity does this so much better than the surface though. The build is really great, the keyboard a real keyboard that will blow away that touch one on the surface, AND the keyboard acts as a second battery which doubles your real world battery life. It is an amazing device.

I’m personally going to upgrade from my Transformer tf101 to the Nexus 10 (I’m an Android developer so I want to see where Google is taking the platform), but I will definitely miss the transformer a lot.

Unfortunately Microsoft just doesn’t get it. If they are going to compete with the BIG boys with tablets, they Really net to hit everything 99.9%.

It’s great that the hardware is so awesome! Having a basically nonexistent email program a very lame word processor is just NOT acceptable. MS you have Outlook and MS Word, and this is THE best you could do!?!?!!

What are you thinking? You think this will blow ALL of the other tablets off the map?!?!???

Where is Bill Gates when you need him? I don’t think he would have EVER released a product in this state with what’s at stake.

Its been long time since I have heard something good about a microsoft product. I couldn’t stop laughing at phrase “Unless you’re required by God to hate all things touched by Microsoft”.

Someone told me that Windows is just a operating system but MAC is a religion :slight_smile:

Slowly the world of handheld is reaching smaller life span, it makes me think how the companies would survive competing with all these increasing needs. Businesses are already spending on android/ios and now W8 is going add to the mix. Hope things will merge in a decade or so.

If the world moves to touch computing, what’s going to happen to PC gaming? Traditionally, PC gaming has been popular because PCs get used for many other things besides gaming. If most people switch to touch devices for their primary computers, will there still be enough people building gaming rigs for developers to care about that market? I’m sure the big console manufacturers would love nothing more than to move everyone over to consoles, but this would signal the downfall of indie games, certain kinds of first-person shooters, real-time strategy games, simulators, and many other genres. I would be devastated to see this happen. (Cross-posting this from Hacker News.)

I’m not a fan of Microsoft software. Far from it. I find Microsoft software to be generally awful, buggy, bloated stuff.

But I have to say, I have always been a huge fan of Microsoft hardware. It’s strange that a company that is best known for being one of the biggest software companies around actually does a very good job with the hardware they sell. I’m genuinely intrigued to see how good the Surface hardware holds up to the competition, but it sounds promising so far.

I’m just curious how long it is until someone gets Android running on it :wink:

As a tablet-luddite, I have found tablets a pretty good idea, but never practical enough for exactly this reason of lack of keyboard. Imho, my phone covers enough of my mobile computing needs and a tablet just didn’t cover any additional bases, and loses the main appeal of desktop. When I found out the Surface was going to have this little light-weight keyboard, I began to seriously think about breaking my avoidance of the tablet, despite any misgivings I have about the OS. If I don’t get one, it’ll only be because an Android/iOS competitor gets on the ball quickly with a solid configuration like this, but without the flaws of the OS (unless Microsoft gets their software fixed quickly too, which may or may not happen).

Graffiti and predictive typing isn’t bad with a stylus, actually. Feels a lot better than constantly pecking at a solid surface.

The keyboard is why I’m so enthusiastic about my Asus Transformer. I’d wanted a netbook for years: something I could stick in my small bag to write with wherever. I procrastinated long enough that my significant other just showed up one day with the Transformer & said “I think this is what you were looking for.” Everything you say about having both touch & typing available, plus the form factor that means I can write on the bus or on my couch, no table required. I carry it with me almost everywhere; the keyboard goes back in the bag if I just want to read a book.

BTW, after a year with the Transformer, I find myself attempting to touch laptop screens to navigate. :\

Having played with Jeff’s RT for a few days and being a long time Apple user (who doesn’t have an iPad), I can say that I agree that the Keyboard is very nice. I have been an Apple user for a long time and I have used (and still use) Android phones for personal telephony. I have used all versions of Windows (although Windows XP was the last version I used on a daily basis). I have now put together a PC and brought the Windows 8 Pro (39.99$) for gaming.

I agree, the Surface RT is nice, looks interesting and I wish I had those 10 years ago when I developed a tactile system for windows using GDI and GDI+ when C# came out.

Like Jeff said, this is a 1.0 device. But unless Microsoft screws it too bad, it can only get better. This is good for both Apple and Google as well. We really need a 3rd player here.

I understand Jeff’s fascination with Surface, but my sentiment is in line with Sqlsvrman’s point: Microsoft needed to make no obvious errors during this Surface launch to reliably capture new customers.

They didn’t do it.

What’s worse, the errors they made are typical Microsoftian blunders, that could’ve been predicted by many, and (for that reason) avoided by Microsoft if they spent any time in self-reflection.

First, the software’s behavior, with the email app’s poor design, and with the operating system’s slow performance, simply brings to the consumer’s mind the question of ‘Why?’

Microsoft has had years to focus on this new product. How on earth do they allow the software experience (their wheelhouse for their entire existence) to be so bad?

Then, in the hardware, the decision to make the keyboard an integral part of the Surface experience, and yet to charge extra for it, will simply infuriate potential buyers, who judge it as a nickel-and-dime decision that tries to bait them into considering the Surface a lower-cost purchase than it really is.

Jeff believes that people should consider this purchase as entrée into a future experience, not as an experience for the here-and-now.

I believe that it’s too late for Microsoft to be begging for this gimme.

If this was 2007, and they were competing on level ground with Apple and the iPhone, it would’ve been totally justified. Even if this was 2010, and Microsoft was competing against the first iPad, consumers would’ve probably granted them the leeway. But in 2012, against an entire product sector which has been thrashing Microsoft black and blue for years, they needed to be near-perfect coming out of the gate, but they’ve unforgivably failed.

Not that I’ve ever use a Surface RT, however I really think you need to be comparing the Surface RT against its competitors, the iPad 4 and the new Nexus 7/Nexus 10. Comparing it to what the iPad was 2 years ago is light years in computer terms.

The “future” you’re talking about is already here. It’s over with Apple and Google.

OMG !! NERDS!! lol, Revenge of the nerds, that was like my all time fav movie!

www.e-privacy.tk

re: flipped laptop. I used a Compaq TC1000 (and then TC1100) as my primary laptop for more years than the processor could really support (running debian linux) just because the form factor was sooo spot on. Yes it wasn’t actually touch (it’s a wacom pen) but thact screen/slim keyboard which can fold out of the way (this one did the spin/fold thing, so could fold either way) is definitely a ergonomic sweet spot.