Investing in a Quality Programming Chair

It was nice to read the blogs, I have been using BodyBilt Ergonomic chairs http://www.ergo4me.com in my office for a long time, never had any back problems no complaints from my employees as well.

It was rally a nice blog about chair, i got very good information.

Just passing through. Thanks for all the input you all are giving about ergonomic chairs. I went through 1 major back surgery and they want me to have lower back surgery now. I talked with the doc and he recommended a HM chair. Im going with the mirra fully loaded one. But on the note of ergonomic computer deska. Im investing in a Biomorph X02 desk next month. It’s fully adjustable where I could recline in my HM Mirra while I work and adjust the desk to the right height. Plus it comes with a fully adjustable keyboard shelf.

Get some exercise, lose weight, and anything you sit on will be comfortable.

I worked for a company where I didn’t like the chairs they gave me, simply refused to get better ones and even mocked me for bitchin’ about it. That was the whole reason for which I quit and I’m glad I did, because shortly after that I found a job that paid 50% more (in the previous place, I got a raise of just over 1% and I’ve been told I should be happy with it).
Now I sit in a comfy chair in the office of another company and when I go to interviews, I look at the chairs the developers have. Asking would be a bit freaky, but I usually say I’d like to see what the office looks like. If they refuse to show me, they’re freaky. I really should know in what condition’s I’ll be working, I don’t want a Pentium II and rusty desk for 8 hours .NET every day. If they think I don’t trust them, THEY’RE RIGHT! I don’t trust companies I interview for, as much as they don’t trust me. They ask me questions about my personal life (of course, a good developer has good hobbies) so I check out how life is at the company.

What about the SwingChair? Interesting design!

http://www.swingchair.com/

One programmer’s review here:

http://www.logicalvue.com/blog/2008/12/my-back-loves-it-some-swingchair/

I had back pain in my tailbone so bad I literally couldn’t sit down because of my office depot chair. Bought a Mirra. Best thing I’ve ever bought, period.

Nice to see someone found useful the reviews I collected [1]. After that I created a table classifying (subjectively) the reviews [2].

Finally I bought a Herman Miller Celle. I’m really happy with it.

Now I’m thinking about buying an used Aeron or Mirra (just because they seem to be easier to find on second hand sites than other chairs) for another room.

Sorry for my bad English.

[1] http://www.google.com/notebook/public/02097020037672550236/BDTBmQgoQg8epiZgi
[2] https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pVNq4m7-PKdT_dMLYl4a0TA X/Y/Z = better/similar/worse (row vs column)

there’s a question in slashdot too regarding chair
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/12/1815232

When compared to the Herman Miller Mirra Aeron, I believe this chair is much better value. I found the chair to be more comfortable, a little softer, and had a better recline mechanism. My biggest complaint is the lack of a headrest for reclining.

Imagine if there was an ergonomic chair with a backbone/spine … Designed to support, move and work with your backbone/spine

If I may contribute, I hear a lot of people talking about mouse-hand problems. Try out the Evoluent mouse from http://www.evoluent.com/. Despite the almost-$100 price tag, I think it’s worth it since, as someone said, your body touches it every day, and it feels very natural once you get used to it.

If you don’t feel like spending that kind of money, you can alternate days – at the office (where I don’t have the Evoluent mouse), I alternate left-handed and right-handed, although I figure it’s not so easy for everyone to do that.

Now if I can only find a good keyboard…

The backrest of an ergonomic office chair should be 12 to 19 inches wide. If the backrest is separate from the seat, it should be adjustable in height and angle.

Office Chair:

Ergonomic Chair Alternatives to Traditional Office Chairs By: Rodney K. Lefler, DC Font size an alternative to the more traditional office chair, new styles of ergonomic chairs have been designed to try to create good support, comfort and promote good posture. These chairs may take a little getting used to, but typically become very comfortable over time. Use of these types of ergonomic chairs can be very beneficial for some people with lower back pain or discomfort. Kneeling ergonomic chair The kneeling chair is an office chair that has no back, and places the user in a modified kneeling position. The design encourages good posture by sliding the hips forward and aligning the back, shoulder and neck. Primary support is from the seat of the chair, with additional support coming from the shins. This type of ergonomic chair distributes the weight between the pelvis and the knees, which reduces spinal compression, and therefore reduces the stress and tension in the lower back and leg muscles. This ergonomic chair has a forward slanting seat that leads to a more natural position for the spine. The result is an office chair that makes sitting in the proper position feel comfortable and effortless.

#12288;
Saddle ergonomic chair
The saddle chair is another ergonomic chair that can be used as a desk chair or computer chair. This type of office chair is in the shape of a horse’s saddle and puts the user in a position somewhere between sitting and standing, similar to the position used when riding a horse. This allows the legs to drop naturally, and widen, creating a healthy and stable position. This position is often useful for patients with lower back problems. With long term use it can even strengthen the back muscles. These ergonomic chairs have an adjustable height to be appropriate for different users. The design is intended to eliminate some of the typical problems experienced with a traditional office chair such as circulation system problems and slouching forward.

Exercise ball ergonomic chair
The exercise ball chair is another completely different type of ergonomic chair. As the name states, it is a ball, which is large enough to support the user in any long-term sitting usage, and works well as a desk chair or computer chair.

The major advantage to this type of chair is that it encourages movement and active sitting. There is a slight bouncing involved that keeps the legs moving, which stimulates circulation and keeps muscles busy, reducing stress and fatigue.

Sitting on the ball makes slouching difficult, and the positioning needed to stay on the ball will automatically improve posture. The ball comes in different sizes to find the appropriate height for individual users. Some of these chairs can be modified with a base frame with wheels for improved mobility, and can even have a backrest attached.

Recliner chair
For some people, sitting in a reclined position is most comfortable for their backs. For example, people with pain from lumbar spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease often will feel most comfortable in a reclined position with feet propped up on a footrest. For these people, one option may be to use a recliner while working. Small tables are available that attach to the reclining chair and can swivel over the chair to allow one to work comfortably on a laptop or do paperwork.

No matter what type of ergonomic chair or regular office chair is used, short breaks should be taken throughout the day to improve circulation. Getting up from the chair from time to time will encourage stronger posture, relieve strain on the eyes, and reduce fatigue

Folding Chairs

Folding chairs are perhaps the most versatile type of seating available today. On the home front, they are easy to set up in the back yard at poolside, or for traveling. They’re essential in commercial or public operations and the hospitality industry as well. Classic foldables and an entire new line of stylish framing mean you have plenty to choose from when you want both stability and good looks.

For centuries, designers have devised ways to make foldable furniture, and the quality of today’s chairs have certainly benefited. Commissioned in the earliest days for addressing the comforts of military leaders, they also evolved into ceremonial centerpieces, including thrones for kings. As time progressed along with the advantages of mobility, these space-saving pieces developed widespread use among royalty and commoners alike. The benefits were also appreciated among larger gatherings as increased comfort began to garner precedence.

Throughout the Folding Chair Shop, you’ll find a full range of styles that is among the most requested. Advanced technologies also assure these are quality products that will stand well for large-scale placement or residential enjoyment. They’re available in the best materials, too, including wood, wrought iron and aluminum framing.

Utility seating includes standard metal frames with options for upholstered seats and backs or colorful plastic insets. These are ideal choices for auditoriums, conventions, school libraries, churches or other organizations. Affordability makes them a practical solution for quantity purchases, plus they’re among the easiest to set up or transport. We have included dollies for stacking that increases their appeal.

More formal or elegant occasions require a different approach. When you’re charged with planning weddings or other special affairs, it’s important to provide a beautiful landscape of seats that will provide comfort. Wrought iron is an excellent choice as is wood, especially teak. For any outdoor dining or bistro location, armchairs and side chairs will keep guests happily seated.

Casual and fun folding chairs are simply a delight to own. Individuals and families can always find a need for these. Extra guests will never be left lacking with any of the great designs featured here. We offer loungers for poolside in several styles. Our ergonomic models are among the most flexible as they’ll let you sit upright or recline with breathable mesh that conforms to and supports your body.

For grander entertaining, you’ll find complete sets that make shopping even easier. In fact, you can find an array of matching furniture that will transform a plain deck into a great grouping. Create a conversation or dining grouping with all-foldable pieces and enjoy the beauty of bar height tables and stools, too.

In addition, director’s chairs are also available in standard and spectator heights. Canvas insets and aluminum frames make them a lightweight favorite for heading to the beach or camping. With such amenities as popup trays and side storage pouches, they’re simply must-haves for those lazy days in the sun and the sand.

Composite materials are an environmentally conscious choice and offer a bright alternative to outdoor seating. You’ll find slatted designs with arms and adjustable backs. Steamer styles are just as enticing, but you can also select footrests that will pair with the uprights.

As you can see, there is no limit to the uses for folding chairs. They’re an obvious hit because of their affordability. Even better, they go far beyond the designs of yesteryear to provide long-lasting quality and a comfortable seat. Please feel free to contact any of our customer service representatives if you wish to purchase in quantity or are simply looking for a perfect chair for any back yard gathering

This blog has a great list of all the ergonomic chairs (or at least many of them). I tried out a few then I popped for a a href=http://www.thehumansolution.com/elheadde.htmlRaynor Ergohuman chair/a from a href=http://www.thehumansolution.com/ergohuman1.htmlthis store/a. It’s a good looking chair and I like the mesh back. The chair is very comfortable and was my favorite of the chairs I tried (Think Chair, Freedom Chair, and Ergohuman Chair).

If you are buying an ergonomic chair. I purchased a great Raynor Ergohuman chair http://www.thehumansolution.com/ergohuman1.html from The Human Solution. It’s a good looking chair and I like the mesh back. The chair is very comfortable.

I’d like to put in a plug for the Humanscale Freedom chair -I’m 6’5 and it’s been fantastic for me for the past seven years of fulltime use.

The company has been brilliant -the chair has a ten year warranty and I contacted them when one of the arms broke (I realized later that I’d been using the arms to lever myself out of the chair -I weigh like 230). They paid to have it replaced free of charge, no problems and they gave me the better kind of arms that pivot outwards, which is a cool feature.

The Freedom chair is able to lean way back and stay well balanced, and the very coolest thing is when you do lean back, the headrest, which is retracted when you’re sitting up, comes forward and cradles your head perfectly. Instant Power Nap!!

Another cool feature is that the arms come from the back, not from below, which allows you to move around in the seat and not be cramped in by the posts that hold the arms on other chairs (see above) and they move up and down in a snap, a feature I take advantage of all the time.

Maybe I sound like a paid shill or something but I’m not, I am a normal person such as yourself. :slight_smile:

I found this blog via a link posted in the comments of cuddletech.com’s blog. Man those are some sweet chairs and I hope to be rich enough to drop $849-$1200 US on a CHAIR.

In the meantime, in the spirit of our new down economy economy, how about a round up of the best chairs for under $499 for those of us still struggling with toxic mortgages?

I just bough an chair after reading this blog
below is the the link to the image , its quite similar to the jeff chair

http://www.diceofficesystems.com/admin/images/6050.jpg

and it cost me Rs 3000 ($60) only!!!

before this chair i used to sit on a chair costing Rs 150 ($3) only !!

I have been using the Steelcase Leap chair for the past 7 months and I figured I would write my own review on it. I read several reviews before buying this chair and after reading so many reviews that talk about how comfortable they are, I figured that I couldn’t go wrong. I’m 5’8 160, so not a big guy… I had read that these chairs were good for a smaller person which was another perk for me.

Since I have been using this chair, I can say that I like it HOWEVER… I would never pay $800.00 for this chair. I picked this one up in like brand new condition for $400.00. Even $400 is too much for this chair in my opinion. The post that goes into the base is starting to wobble a bit and I fully expect to have to replace it soon.

One review in particular sticks out in my mind because it mentioned how you would feel like you were sitting “on air”. Nothing could be further from the truth. The bottom cushion is somewhat hard and I need to take periodic breaks from sitting, which I suppose is a good thing anyway.

The bottom line is that in my opinion, these “ergonomic” chairs are a bunch of hype. I can honestly say that I have sat in much more comfortable OfficeMax chairs that have cost me $120.00 than this Steelcase Leap chair. Again, don’t get me wrong, I like the chair but is certainly isn’t worth $800.00 or even $400.00.

Just my 2 cents.