Let That Be a Lesson To You, Son: Never Upgrade

jwz actually prefers Mac OS X to Linux. These days, he even develops xscreensaver on Mac OS X.

Thank MOZ for the Firefox Developer Toolbar and its ability to disable styles. =) I tried hard, even knowing the date, to read the comments but it was actually killing me. LOL God, how did we deal with this crap in the old days?

I’m a mediocre software “engineer” at best. And I hate the phrase engineer, it does a disservice to all real engineers.

However, I am a fantastic Linux administrator. There’re plenty of people I know who are fantastic developers, but when their box stops behaving, they come to me, because I know all the tricks to make various distributions behave themselves.

They’re two different worlds.

Also, I like the black green. :frowning:

When will Windows geeks stop bashing everything else

Heh - it really is April 1. As if Windows geeks bash anyone with anywhere near the frequency as Mac or Linux geeks.

Man… this is really the same discussion as someone saying oh asp is so much better than php.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

me too amarok… I don’t know why I keep reading this posts and the comments… I just love to read all Jeff’s and his readers thought, maybe…

Fedora I think, is not really good at some kiosk or embedded system. You can clearly see those embedded devices are majorly based on Debian Linux which is popular to it’s stability and among the oldest linux distribution. I’m also using Debian on my Rain Gauge system board. I’m happy with the stability.

Well, there is more than hundreds linux distributions out there… you may wish to try before bashing em all… ehehehe… :stuck_out_tongue:

@simon

I think your comment about rewriting the drivers was kind of the point. His time is more valuable than that. In fact, if you make money, your time is valuable. Time you spend writing drivers is time you are not spending making money. Thus, you are LOSING money. This is why Linux is more expensive than windows. The cost of the software is negligible in comparison to the IT hours saved.

There’s a lot of wisdom in this post. I worked in a shop years ago that was running an MS-DOS based EPoS system. It worked perfectly - but was upgraded to Windows 95 all the same… the problems started flowing thick and fast! I won’t go into details, but let’s just say it sucked really badly!

I like the new CSS… it allows childish moron’s like me to post ASCII art… ahem…

_--~~--_
 /~/_|  |_\~\
|____________|                    Help Me Obi Wan.
|[][][][][][]|:=  .               You're my only hope!

| __ | \ ’ . /
| ||. | == | | \ ’ . /
(| ||| == | |) \ '
| |[] [] == | | \ '|
| |
______| | \ |
/
\ /
\ \ /
~~ ~~

Nobody seems to get it.

It is not about who is better. It is about choice!!

No options, no choice. It’s that simple!

Your new color scheme stinks. I feel like I’m working on an AS/400 again. :slight_smile:

By the way, thanks for the fun theme, I enjoyed it :slight_smile:

Damn… filtered the spaces… lol

I like Jamie’s colour scheme actually :slight_smile:

As for sound on linux I agree it’s tricky but getting better.
I notice the proprietry linux apps like skype, java browser plugin,
flash browser plugin, … tend to use the older OSS interface rather
than the newer ALSA interface. This practically means that
they hog the sound device while running which is very annoying.
They’re fixing this in newer versions thankfully.

As for all systems there are config/upgrade problems.
Personally I switched from windows to linux 8 years ago because
of the type of thing Jamie is ranting about, and I had no
control over. With Linux it’s not all perfect but it is better,
and one always can fix the problems where it’s not.

Ultimately it’s just an attitude.
If you really want to engineer a working system you will.
Jamie’s attitude has switched form being proactive to whining
a long time ago. That’s fair enough as his focus has changed,
and he’s rightly whining that things are not yet good enough.

Loved the new color scheme.
Totally cool. :slight_smile:

Free software sucks.

Apparently, Linux is so complex that even a world class software
engineer can’t always get it to work.

How exactly are you making the leap from “Jamie had trouble” to “It all Linux’s fault”? I’ve certianly had similar trouble with Windows updates in the past. Should I blame Windows? No, the fact was I had oddball badly supported hardware. I quit buying hardware from that manufacturer and the problems (mostly) went away.

Unless Jamie bothers to track down the problems to their true source, which it looks like he has no intention of doing (his time, his choice), I don’t think you have enough information to draw any such conclusions.

Hey, MattH, you do realise that you have to do the exact same thing in Windows and Mac, right? Right?!?!

Nice central point to the post. pity about the examples used. Or rather, it’s a pity that we’re all so sensitive we can’t approach the topic with any amount of emotional detachment!

Out of curiosity - would it be possible to do what he does with a windows install? I’ve never really used it that much, so I don’t know…