Optimizing Your Wallet

If you removed that ‘computer listing’ from your original wallet
it might have continued to do sterling service !

I use the smaller 2-pocket All-Ett (European?), have had it about 2 years or so. I have a small amount amount of cards in it (maybe half a dozen plastic cards, and half a dozen heavy-stock paper business and other cards), and only really need to access 2 or 3 frequently (debit card, credit card, and license). When I need other stuff, I do need to slide out a stack of cards from one of the pockets and flip through them, which takes some time. It does get softer and less crinkly over time. Some of the threads have started to come loose by now, but the wallet is still perfectly intact so far.

They’re not that expensive- the minimalist one I have is only $15.

Thanks for this article, Jeff. I am picky about my wallet, and I try to keep it thin too. As far as keeping it in my back pocket, I have buttons on my back pockets, and that keeps it from falling out, and keeps pickpockets out.

Lately I’ve discovered cargo pants, and those have lots of room for pens and such. One can never have too many pockets (in pants or jacket)!

JimGf

+1 to front pocket. I’ve never understood why you would want it in your rear pocket.

I’ve been carrying the all-ett wallet for a few months and really like it. The crinkliness goes away. I’m totally happy with it. Doesn’t have the digits of pi but that’s nothing a sharpie can’t fix…

I had one of those velcro 80’s wallets in high school. It was obviously out of fashion, so while in the military I got a few eel skin wallets in Korea. Eel skin is very thin and supposedly durable. They wore out in record short time. I tried one or two other wallets before digging up my old high school velcro standard.
I’m not sure how many years I’ve used it for now (at least 15), but it’s indestructible. If you’re into form over fashion it’s the best wallet around.

1 Like

use a business card holder as a wallet, front pocket.

My wallet would be a lot thinner if people would just start using dollar coins!

I’m tired of having to keep so many near-worthless units of money in my wallet mixed in with my real money.

Any unit of currency that can’t buy me a bottle of Coke belongs in my pocket with my jingling money, not in my wallet with my folding money. I’m sorry to say it, but the single dollar passed this threshold at least five years ago.

That wallet would suck for me, because I use only cash. Id have no where to store coins and bills. As for pens and stuff, I store those in my book bag. Credit cards are for fools. Too easy for companies and individuals to ripp you off.
Most I use those sorts of pockets is business cards I pick up, and then remove and stick in a shoe box somewhere, and then I end up throwing most of them away!

Talk to any healthcare professional who deals with posture issues and they’ll tell you that sitting all day on hip pocket wallet is an unhealthy idea. Moving it to a different pocket is the best idea but if you have to put it in your hip pocket, thinner is better.

Why not optimise the contents of your wallet? I worked in the US a few years ago and was always amazed at the amount of crap my cow-orkers carried around with them, with wallets 3-4cm thick. My current wallet is maybe 5mm thick, and about half of that is the leather it’s made of.

I use a London Oyster card sleeve as a wallet :stuck_out_tongue:

Cards fit perfectly, and money goes in the other side of the sleeve. Can’t get any more thin.

Make a wallet out a wired magazine cover

The European in me wonders, though: Where does the change go? At least that’s what causes most of my current wallet’s bulge.

Seriously, when did you last use your Nissan-card?

I’ve found that the perfect size is a card-sized wallet with enough room for a few notes, a debit card, a credit card and an id. I picked it up in Fredrikshamn in Denmark.

Henrik J

I have an huge billabong wallet, which isn’t a problem. I bought it because it has a pocket for change inside. It can look a little unmanly sometimes, but I don’t like jangly change in my pocket. I also used the coin compartment for keeping my work-related keys (locker key, kensington lock key, etc). I hardly ever have anything in my back pocket, so a bigger wallet isn’t usually an issue. Though I wouldn’t mind going thinner in the future.

If I want to carry a pen I usually grab one of my many Bic Cristals and stuff it in the pocket with my phone.

My keychain has 2 keys and a Homestarrunner star-shaped fob. I’m thinking of adding my bike lock key, but I hardly ever lock my bike. I never need anything else to be with my keys.

I roll with a Bandit Wallet - http://www.amagpoc.com/

I actually invented this product for people who have the an enormous Constanza Wallet shown above! The bandit is a wallet band this is rubber on the inside and smooth on the outside. I went through 200+ prototypes before going live with sales in Feb 2010.

As a side now, I wonder if the wallet photo at the beginning of this post is the origin of this photo. In my research of “fat wallets” this picture pops up all over the place. I wonder whose wallet that really is…

For a wallet pen, I find the Ohto Petit-B is hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Ohto-Petit-B-Needle-Point-Ballpoint-Pen/dp/B0052RGZXM

It’s 3" long when closed (expanding to 5"), thin, and only costs about $7. I carry it everywhere in the crease of my wallet.

Regarding pens: for a few bucks you can make your own. The ink tube and tip from a Bic pen fits very nicely inside one of the standard sizes of metal tubing sold at hobby shops. A few minutes with a pipe cutter (or pocket knife if you use a soft metal) and a little glue and you can have a pen that fits in a business card case (and happens to be about as small as I can actually use).

1 Like

Hey! how about the Belroy wallets?? I jave one of those and I’m quite happy with it.