Our Brave New World of 4K Displays

Besides gaming I am looking at this for video rendering and most software like Premiere takes advantage of multi GPU as well as thinking can push more pixels for 4K gaming.

I am concerned about heat and noise though as extra load on system and requiring a 750W power supply ups the factor.

Considering my last build was in 2011 with sandy bridge and a minor GPU upgrade about 2 years ago, I think a 6 core with 2 GPU will get me another 4 years.

I assume that the flo mounting system that you went for is the flo modular?

According to the flo website:

Flo Modular can support a triple screen cockpit for 22” screens in landscape or 24” screens in a portrait configuration

Did you just ignore that and hope that it worked with 27"

I am now thinking of going for the same setup as you but as I currently have 2 20 inch 4:3 monitors I am worried about the space requirement for 2 27" monitors. There don’t seem to be many smaller 4k monitors around…

27’’ monitors are simply too big. But I’d love to see curved 27’’ UHD monitor.

I really don’t understand why Samsung & LG try to push curved TVs to living rooms, when the perfect use case for the curved screen is computer monitor.

I am studying BSc Computer Science and often use the computer for more than 6 hours a day programming.
I need a monitor that will not do a lot of harm to my eyes. Any ideas? A good anti-glare monitor perhaps?

I’ve been pretty adament about prefering 16:10 displays, but it seems these are on the way out. Does anyone have experience coming from a 16:10 to a 16:9 4k or 1440p for programming and terminal work? Do you miss the vertical real estate?

Large horizontal viewing angle, 60+hz refresh rate, and no PWM or high PWM rate. Honestly I’m just getting back into understanding monitor specs, but these are what I’d look for.

Still not convinced on 4k compatibility for Linux, but I love it on my MBP.

Only it’s not really 4K (nor 8K for that matter).
From what I can see, it’s 3.8K and 7.6K respectively.

Are monitor and TV makers going down the path of HDD makers with the 1000/1024 “conversion”? If so, what’s the origin of this reduction?

Or just blatantly lying?

I’ve owned three ASUS monitors, including the one mentioned in the article. One was HDMI, the other two were DisplayPort and HDMI. On all of them, I experienced random issues, such as the screen going black, or going to sleep and never waking up (unless power was pulled.) This seemed to happen even more so when I used DisplayPort on a Mac. Buyer beware. I simply think ASUS’s DisplayPort implementation is wonky. Contacting their support, they wanted me to pay to ship it back (it was only a few months old) and they would only send me a refurb, and not another model/new display. Unacceptable for something so pricey, and likely to have the same issues.

I have had some intermittent display glitches, which I chalked up to the high bandwidth of 4k at 60hz times three for my three displays. But nothing systemic so far.

For what it’s worth, I sold my monitor and bought an Acer. Haven’t had any DisplayPort drop outs/issues since. knock on wood

Surface Pro 3 can handle a single 50Hz 4k display using the regular mDP, OR a 40Hz 4k and a 30Hz 4k daisy chained. Some Intel driver tweaks are required to manually add those resolutions.

This is without the need of a dock.

The limitation comes from the bandwidth capability of the port, and is less to do with the screen, rather the technology to drive the display.

Do you use any form of scaling with 4K UHD on your 27"?

So can you use triple 27s with that monitor arm? Doesnt seem to support it online?

While 4k displays have gone down in price in the last few years, they are still far from what I would call affordable. Especially I you consider the fact that you need an external gpu to drive them (maybe skylake has fixed this (but that’s another overpriced upgrade for anyone with anyone with a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k or anything newer) and live in the EU since we get shafted hard on hw prices (no matter what the actual usd/eur exchange rate is hw prices use a 1:1 exchange rate + tax (20-25%) + and extra price hike of at least another 20-25% (although this can be much higher)). Which means something that’s borderline affordable in the USA is overpriced here (I’m fine with paying tax, but the other two things are just a large fuck you to customers).

Although I welcome the day when 16 bit per colour 16k 32" ips/va/some other good panel tech displays running at 200Hz and a contrast ratio comparable to that of the human eye (measured on two neighboring pixels on the same frame not on two pixels on two different frames which produces artificially inflated numbers) are actually affordable (aka below 300 eur). Of course by the time that happens I’ll probably be too blind to see the difference anyway (right now at 30 I can see individual pixels on a 21" 1080p display viewed from a normal distance and it is very ugly) :confused: At least if display tech continues to progress at the same rate as it has so far (I bought a 21" 1680x1050 ips display for ≈ 300 eur 15 years ago and a 21" 1080p ips display for ≈ 200 eur last autumn which is a pathetic rate of progress).

Ever tried a wireless curtain rod while driving an african humvee?

Did you upgraded your setup in any way?

Nope, just faster video cards :wink: and Kaby Lake.

Working the 3rd day on my new 4K monitor, and fnding it a revelation. Coming from VT100 terminals, each generation of bigger monitors was a big advantage, but 4K is special. No more maximizing windows! Now I understand that the maximize button is invented because monitors always were too small.

No more excessive scrolling! Even with big source files, when you can see over 100 lines at once, I find myself scrolling much less than before. The verbose Jeff Atwood postings are now also easier to view :smile:

Just bring into view what you need, either horizontally or vertically. Before, I found myself occasionally rotating the 16:9 monitor for a good view on a long source code. 1080 pixels vertically is very limiting.

Keep each of your important windows in view, perhaps partially, but being able to bring it to the foreground by directly clicking a visible part of it, without needing the menu bar. Now I understand that the menu bar, and also virtual desktops, were invented for too small monitors.

Compared to a dual HD monitor setup, 4K not only doubles the pixels, but does so in one big surface. A window spread out over two monitors isn’t really useful. Not to speak of a mouse that may bump at the monitor edge before reaching the other monitor.

In my opinion, a 5K or 8K monitor will not be that great of an improvement as 4K.

“Downside” of a 27 inch 4K with the smaller fonts is that I need to sit closer to it, in my case at at distance of 40 cm. With the old dual HD monitors, that was 70 cm. For me as a developer, that is no problem, and coincidentally, 40 cm just matches my eye sight, I don’t need my computer glasses. But a visitor standing right next to me would not be able to read anything on this screen, which might be cumbersome for demonstrations.

The fun part of the smaller fonts is that when I switch to a message on my phone, I am amazed at how big those fonts look like :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think about Samsung LU28E590DS/EN it is similar to Asus one and the only difference is the adjustable stand. Would get the Samsung one or the Asus one?

Well, I finally decided to upgrade from these monitors, which have been completely reliable in many, many years of extended use (since 2015). I went with a sidegrade to get thinner bezels for the triple monitor setup, and hopefully less image persistence, which was a bit of an issue.

Example of image persistence, my only real complaint about these monitors:

Nice that they’re $300 instead of $700 now :wink:

1 Like