The IPS LCD Revolution

When I wrote about TN LCD panels 5 years ago, I considered them acceptable, despite their overall mediocrity, mostly due to the massive price difference.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/07/the-ips-lcd-revolution.html

16:10 or bust, period.

I am wondering how the display looks when the monitors are rotated vertically? I have seen some monitors that get terrible viewing angles when rotated vertically. Please tell me that is not the case with these.

I have three dell 3011 and I like them a lot. I paid 3 or 4 or 5 times what you paid (I bought them separately so I never really added it up). I would pay it again. I also used my video card (nVidia) to split two of my monitors in half and that works really nice too.

There are actually a whole bunch of different options depending on the manufacturer and model including stands that do portrait and monitors that accept HDMI and display port.

Check out this website for a description of some of the many options. Its kind of crazy.

http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/

I think you would enjoy those 3 even more if you put them in a PLP configuration - I have 3 24" widescreen dells at home running 1920x1200 and the 2 side monitors are rotated 90 degrees (portrait) - those 2 monitors are for long sections of code or sites where content scrolls long (facebook/reddit/forums, etc). It’s the best thing I’ve ever done besides moving to 3 monitors in the first place. Do it!

Oh, and also - get DisplayFusion if you haven’t already.

Man, seeing setups like that makes me want to go back to desktop computing. Drooool.

These are pretty beautiful. I’ve had one of these (different repackaging, but…) for a few weeks now, and I’m thrilled. There are occasional flake outs on the Macs I’ve used it with, but they’re substantially less bad than the old Acer 26" that I used before, so I blame Apple.

As for viewing angles - IPS displays generally have very good viewing angles. I temporarily flipped mine, and at a glance it looked fine.

I picked up a Dell e-IPS last year. In an interesting trade, it performs markedly better than TN but certainly not as good as an iPad3. Also, it’s that silly 16:9 “HD” ratio which means a mile wide and still cramped. (Or just ridiculously tall when rotated.)

@Mike Kitzman, one of the advantages of the IPS technology is the great viewing angles it provides. If these weren’t el cheapo monitors from Korea they’d probably have rotation built into the stands. I know my Lenovo IPS monitor does.

I’ll take my 120hz Samsung TN any day - CRT blacks, gorgeous colour and you can actually read the text in PixPerAn.

It’s basically the closest you can get to a CRT today.

I have to wonder if these are made from leftover panels from Samsung and LG. You know, something that is generally ok but some spec does not meet a well known brand’s criteria.

That said, pretty much any IPS panel will trounce a TN. I find it baffling that so many people will buy a several thousand dollar computer and then pair it with the cheapest monitor they can find.

You missed Scott Wasson’s link to www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780 in his article, which is an American version for slighly more money. I picked it up for $400 at Microcenter yesterday after reading his entire review and so far (~4 hours of use gaming and web browsing) I am super happy with the purchase.

Sorry for the double post… adding in http for easy clickings for the lazy: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

Reading this from my 23" 1920x1200 IPS, which was made in 2004, because I haven’t found anything to replace it yet. And if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole, I use it pivoted/rotated so I’m actually on a really tall 1200x1920 which is awesome for coding and web surfing, as both of which are tall layouts, not wide.

I’m the envy of all my office nerds (I use my person monitor at work).

The monitors are nice but the Jerker desk is majestic!

Such a resolution and using Windows??? You will need a jeweler eyepiece to click small 8x8 pixel icons.

love the Nixie Clock …

@Christopher, thanks. The extra cost is definitely worth being able to take it back if something’s wrong, without shipping it across the world. The particular model they have is DVI/HDMI only, but I hope they get one with a built-in DP (converter cables are so expensive), because DVI is rapidly going the way of the Dodo. I have seen that older HDMI can drive it at full size at sub-30Hz, and current Ivy Bridge HDMI can drive it at full 60+Hz, if the monitor uses HDMI 1.4.

I’ve really been itching to get one of these, but I can’t settle on an exact model until I decide on a particular laptop, so I know which inputs to get.

@DarkImmortal, pretty much anything LED backlit looks nearly that good these days. We’re a long way from the dark ages when CCFL bled through every corner and contrast ratios of 600:1 were awesome; now that’s the absolute minimum and I see monitors with 10,000:1 coming out. These ones are about 1000:1 typically. The main downside instead is color calibration, if you need that.