The Slow Brain Death of VB.NET

Exactly… (Ralph)

http://www.panopticoncentral.net/archive/2006/04/11/11659.aspx

It’s like anything else; golf, music, racing etc. It’s not the implement, but the one implementing! To say that “professionals” are going to flock to C# is ridiculous AND pompous.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2005/12/09/78502.aspx

I am interested in creating a new VB IDE and language based on VB and python ideas i.e. to create a Visual Development tool that support easy to write programs in structured and OO way and run on many platforms.

So maybe it result as an open source IDE and interpreter / compiler for VB language, what do you see its success possibilities ? Should i invest my and others time in this project ?

http://classicvb.sourceforge.net/

thanks
Humayun

This is the same discussion thats been happening for years. There have always been the c++ snobs who are now fast becomming the C# snobs.

At the end of the day, program in the language you are most comfortable with. If you love VB.NET, use it… if you prefer C# then use that. It’s simple!

Back in the mid 90’s there were rumours that Microsoft were pulling the plug on VB and that all the VB programmers would have to learn C++… and it never happened. It’s all propoganda as is the alleged demise of VB.NET.

As Ralphie Boy stated, programming is an art form… just because one artist uses clay instead of stone to produce the sculpture, does it make them any the less talented?

We are all in the best job in the world, regardless of which language we choose to use… just enjoy it!

Goldfishrock
((((

vb.net isn’t gunna die… it’s gunna grow… I’ve watched C/C#/C++ programmers migrate to vb.net and it’s also gone vice versa. C# is gunna be big, I agree. but one will not overshadow the other… I have experience in all the languages provided in VS2005 and I couldn’t be happier!! when I only had VB 2005 Express it was like meh… yeah I can program whoopidi doooo… now with this beautiful layout of languages to choose from at any given moment, I remark with the statement that y’all have wasted your time in this fruitless adventure of whitty statements, and analogies because you must remember. this is the internet. you’re opinions have about the same effect on .net as your p.enis’ do in bed. they’re fragile, limp, and overlooked for more benefitting pleasures. grow up, shut up and go write some damn applications in the IDE of your f.uckin choice.

First of all, I’d like to inform all of you that there is a Cobol for .net. http://www.adtools.com/info/whitepaper/net.html

Secondly, C# has similarities to Java, this is true…but I think it has more in common with Delphi.

Now if you are going to go with .net, why not Delphi.net? If your apps had been written in Delphi rather than VB6, migrating over wouldn’t be an issue at all. You can do it when you feel like it and not feel rushed by Microsoft and their desire to leave VB6 programmers high dry by making Vista the last version of Windows that will have a VB 6 runtime available. And learning VB.net is like learning an entirely new language…Delphi.net is still Delphi.

This is why when I decided to learn programming I went with Delphi rather than VB…that and the fact that the VB6 IDE felt like a child’s toy compared to Delphi 6.

Microsoft has always done this to VB programmers…look at all the previous versions and how you were forced to upgrade to the next or be left in the dust. How many of you are still programming in VB5…or even earlier?

Delphi programmers have never had this problem. As was previously stated by Joe Bain, old Delphi code does compile in newer versions. I know programmers still using Delphi 2!

To Microsoft, VB isn’t a programming language…it’s a product…and they will make as much money from it as they can, making all you VB coders shell out more bucks every time they feel like changing the rules of the game.

The have done it before, they are doing it now, and they will keep on doing it. And you as a programmer have a choice…keep on buying tickets for a ride in the caboose of the Microsoft profit train, or start coding in a language that has tools created by more than one entity. C/C++ programmers have had that luxury for eons, and you should, too.

I can see why so many are switching to C#…Microsoft isn’t their only choice for an IDE. And I will eventually make the switch myself, when I am ready…not when Microsoft says I am.

Well, until the blog posted by “Losers? on May 24, 2006 01:51 AM,”, I certainly enjoyed the diverse and intelligent opinions that I was reading.

“y’all have wasted your time in this fruitless adventure of whitty statements, and analogies”

Don’t let this dimwit squelch your enthusiasm for debate. The only thing “fragile and limp,” is his ability for repartee.

I am grateful for all the blogs i’ve read here. dotnet seems to be the answer for the future, my question is what is the best route to learn it?, i am contemplating spending/borrowing 5K to learn VB.net with a “reputable” training company, i have some fundamental programming knowledge from years back at Uni, i.e. Pascal, COBOL C,C++ . MY FUNDS ARE really limited but i’m prepared to make the sacrifice.
rasraymond@hotmail.com - please help

[ICR] wrote:

They are producing plenty. Microsoft Expression Interactive Designer (Sparkle) is all managed code. Alot of Vista is managed code (The first componant that comes to mind, the volume control I’m pretty sure is. There is ALOT more though). Alot of the new software is being written in managed code (these are two of a few examples that I know of, I just can’t remember what the others are off the top of my head, and can’t research it now). Visual Studio has a large amount of legacy code. You really expect them to re-write the entire thing in managed code? That is just unreasonable.

Ah I see so it is unreasonable to expect Microsoft to re-write all their code but reasonable for them to expect everybody that uses their products to do so?

VB.net will not die.

It will be for example, the only language used in SSIS.

and if you know SSIS well, you are making nice cash.

How do I know it will be the only one used for SSIS? I got it from Donald Farmer himself at TechED.

enough said.

I think this is pretty funny. My personal opinion on the whole C# and VB.net is this…

We all know VB was/is pretty straightfoward to program in. With experience, one could do most things with it most businesses needed a program to do.

What VB inherits from version to version in addition to backwards compatibility is the “Hobbiest Language” stereotype.

C# on the other hand is pitched as brand new and doesn’t inherit anything good or bad because it’s, what folks?..it’s New! It did inherit one thing (or should I say borrowed). What is that? it’s the letter “C”.

Whether they want to admin it or not, many of those switching to C# instead of continuing with Vb.net are doing because of that letter “C”.

Pre-.net, they gathered and defended how capable VB is/was, how it wasn’t just a hobbiest language anymore. Now they can gather together with feel like they are out of the hobbiest language stereotype.

Converting C# samples to VB.net is simple compared to converting from another language right now because they both use the framework, it’s pretty pointless to say code samples are fewer now when one can use either language sample for the other with minimal trouble.

VB.Net is like a cousin to VB
C# is like a third or forth cousin to C/C++. (maybe more like an in-law)
VB.NET and C# are like half brothers

The whole debate is really just BS.

I’ve been using vb since version 4. I made the switch to vb.net when it first came out. I absolutely love it. The .net platform is pure joy to use. I really do enjoy it.

Those informations helped me a lot to create my assignment “vb vs vb.net” i am thankful to those who added good information about this subject.
what i found is that vb.net is only a better version over vb6.There are so many advantages
Full object-oriented capabilities
An incredible IDE
Cross-language inheritance
Real VB (or C#, etc) in ASP.NET, not VBScript
Web service tools
One way to do things, no matter what .NET language you are using.
…NET is a completely different architecture that provides better
performance, better scalability, less maintenance and more language choices
than COM. For example, VB 6 was not a true OO language and did not perform
as well as C. VB.NET is now fully OO and performs just as well as any other
…NET language

I studied C,C++, advanced C++, Visual C++ etc, in college. When I got out (eight years ago), the only job I could find was in VB - I could not believe how easy it was. After I got certified in VB.net my company decided to go C#. Here’s my two cent opinion. If you are a vb6 programmer reading this blog trying to decide…you are wasting your time. Go out and learn C#. In creating the .Net framework Microsoft made C# more like VB6 not VB.net more like C++. Because C# is almost as easy as VB6 - C# is going to grow the way VB did. I like VB better - I read these blogs because I hate to see VB die. But it lives on…just with some with some weird syntax and inheritance.

Debates such as this are testament to the fact that free speech still exists, regardless of its form so to speak. Anyone seeking to squelch a debate does not deserve this freedom.

OK, now to buisness. The age-old debate between VBx and C/C++ is still going, albeit not as loudly as the new VB.NET vs. C# fiasco. One could attribute this to the fact that VBx and C/C++ are in fact TWO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES not in any way related by a Framework or CLR. The arguments for both sides are/were strong because of this fact. Type “VB vs C++” into Google and then go practice your counting skills.

Despite this, deep down most debaters knew that neither language would be dominated by the other because it usually boils down to which one is cheaper. If Programmer #1 can produce a working program from VBx in less time than C++, it would have cost less (assuming a time-based wage). In the buisness world, that is all that matters. And if Programmer #2 can produce a working program quicker in C++ than VBx, it have would still cost less. And conversions from either language to the other was next to impossible using automated tools. One would 99% of the time have to re-write each line of code.

FWIW - I came to this site via a clusty.com search. I have spent the last 45-60 mins of my life attempting to gain some insight as to how to proceed. Regrettably, I have mainly endured useless opinions of “my Daddy can beat up your Pop!” Gentlemen and Ladies (if present), for the sake of those that must replace you someday, PLEASE, consider the value of the CONTENT of your post. An example is my post (the one you are reading) could have been just a whining session, but it is a substantive plea to provide more useful CONTENT (there’s that word again) that can be of help to those of us initiating the journey.

To sum up what I think I have heard… the best way to go would be to learn C# AND .NET on a non-MS IDE that has a strong .NET comfort zone.

Did I pass the test?

CJW

Those are bison, not sheep.

This is a funny read and long read – anyone else notice the problem here?

I started coding MS Basic on a TRS80 color computer (circa 1981), over the years the syntax to accomplish a Task comes and goes with the reality that I learn, I forgot, I learn, I forgot at least 20 languages – then I ask myself why? Cause I like to learn new stuff? Cause everyone else was doing it? Cause it looked good on my resume? But after first decade or two of coding the language of the day it just got boring and I yearn for the day this inefficency comes to an end – the day there is ONE and ONLY ONE programming language to get any automated task done. I’m done with skinning the cat 100 different ways – it’s still a cat.

Rob.

Bwuahahahahahhaa!!! I just had to laugh at the “pompous, arrogant buffoon” comment made by Ralphie Boy. That’s hillarious! I like how he comments on my “crippling personality defects” even tho he’s never met me. Good stuff, good stuff. Funny thing is, I actually agree with his comments. Oh well, what do I know?

I agree with Rob, everyone seems to be missing the point and that is whether you are developing using VB,C,C++, etc you will be always doing the same boring tasks. There are 3 main constructs used to write code, which are sequence, selection, and iteration, that’s all there is !!!.. everyone is talking as these new languages are ushering in a new advanced form of writing code. I believe that the chose of language used should be down to your requirements and that as a qualified developer you should be able to pick up any language, and after a short learning curve be able to use it proficiently.

Hello,

I love VB.Net. I am completely self taught. Starting with VB6 8 years ago. If you program with VB-6 and and then you make a transition to VB.Net, it is the dotNet framework that is new. The syntax is still very much the same, but with some distinct changes. Option explicit is no longer supported. But you can use option strict in dotNet instead and force explicit declaration of variables. Which is a good idea if you wish to learn the new rules for variable declaration under dotNet.

The trick to making the transition is to study the framework a little bit first. Learn the NameSpaces and the classes that reside there. Try to look at it this way. In dotNet you have the VB Code (not entirely but very much like VB6)and then you have the dotNet code which is very different and not like your old buddy VB6. So the trick is simply to learn the dotNet framework’s classes and constructor methods, and how dotNet behaves at runtime and at design time.

I am still learning dotNet and I do not claim to be VB Guru. In fact I am merely a VB Geek and nothing more. And I know that when you see the code on my website, you people are going to rip me a new one.

GDI+ is so much fun and a good place to start. I do alot of GDI+ 2-D Vector Graphics. That is obvious if you visit my website. Check out the MATRIX Class, write some animated timer events, and use some arrays and for next loops in your code.

Then explore the rest of dotNet and it will make more sense.

Anyways, give it a try, it worked for me.

Benny