The Slow Brain Death of VB.NET

Woops…So sorry. Option Explicit is supported in dotNet.

Benny

** Pokes head above parapet **

I love using Ada. I use Vb6 at work, but Ada at home. A huge amount of ideas that C++ stole, then Java nicked, and so ended up in .Net were available in Ada in 1983. And using a subset of the language (SPARK) you can prove that your software is correct.

But I suppose this debate isn’t about software correctness, is it? It’s about some sort of elitism that programmers manifest for no other reason apart from ego. Why else would you want to criticise someone for using a language that you personally do not like? Why? If a given language makes a given programmer productive, then so be it.

• Drops head below parapet **

The problem with VB.Net is that it is neither Visual nor Basic!! If the purpose of Basic originally was to make life simple compared to Fortran then VB might have acted to make things simple with respect to other languages like C++ or C#. For years, that simplicity was there but creeping away. Now, with the OOP’s crowd making.every.key.word.a.60 _letter.monster the simple or basic part is nearly gone. But in addition, with VB.net, the glue isn’t dry yet. Stability is poor, toolbox crashes are frequent, and with poor internal error trapping (for example the system can’t make up its mind whether it is case sensitive) these things make the student’s life even more miserable. Engineering applications are nearly impossible, the engineer needs to concentrate on function not on undocumented function trees that go on forever. Documentation is wretched. Gone are simple graphics primitives, simple I/O protocols, simple disk handling commands, etc., etc., etc., etc. As a former System.IO.Wedgeymuffin of the 60’s I know when I am being screwed by a vendor. Bravo, you have a great set of Microsofticles there!!!
The question isn’t C# or VB.Net. Sad!!! just Sad!!!

The matter comes down to what your goals are, plain and simple. If you want to make more money, go with C#. If you want to ease of use, go with…whatever you find easier to use. I am a self-taught “programmer” with less than a year experience (save your comments). I originally decided to get into scripting/programming when the guy that works in our office that used to handle those tasks was fired. This left us with nobody to write scripts or anything. At the time, I barely knew how to use the command shell. I picked that up, then moved on to vbscript, then vba, then vb.net (no vb6 for me). I am now working on C++, Assembly, MSIL, PHP, AND C# (I read a LOT…). I would not have been able to do any of this if it was not for vb.net. It definitely has it’s place. I will say, even from a beginners standpoint, that both languages are mostly the same. It was easier for me to get into .NET through VB because it IS higher level than C#. It is just plain easier to read, at least from my standpoint. On the other hand, I have a good friend that comes from a shell scripting background in Unix. VB.NET is very cryptic looking to him, because he is used to c-style programming. My standpoint, ultimately? Learn everything. Forget vb vs C#, .NET vs Java, Windows vs Unix, blah, blah, blah. Learn everything. You will be better off. Ultimately this will lead you to understand the very nature of the machine, which will allow you to write in virtually any language you want, just by getting familiar with the syntax. After all, they ARE all the same at the core, aren’t they?

I’m sorry you don’t like .Net man!! I’m finding it quite cool, maybe its because I started in Java and its kinda similar?

I really don’t see the validity of the c# vs. vb.net debate. .Net is .Net, which uses the same framework stuff no matter what the front language is, so performance or ability is not an issue between the two (at least no longer with vs 2005). Obviously ms created c# to get java and c heads into .net, and redid vb6 as vb.net to get its LARGE BASE of vb coders into .net (which with vs 2005 is incredible – I did hate the initial vb.net and avoided it until now, 2007, not knowing vs 2005 really improved things for vb coders like me). So which is “better”? Neither! Same power, different audiences.

dude you are comparing oranges and oranges. comparing vb.net to c# is usually an argument made by someone who only knows one or the other. Having written C#, VB.net, and Delphi.net side by side, i gotta say, it’s all the same stuff. This really is a style choice not a technology choice.

"To sum up what I think I have heard… the best way to go would be to learn C# AND .NET on a non-MS IDE that has a strong .NET comfort zone.

Did I pass the test?"

DUDE! Talk about a bunch of monkey dung! Flip a coin to decide which language you want to start with. then learn both, and for GODS SAKE, only develop .net in Visual Studio. Anything else defeats the purpose.

As someone who started in VB6, then learned C++, and then Java, and recently learned C# I can honestly say that, at least for me, development is far more efficient in C# and Java then in VB6 or C++. The .NET framework is somewhat bloated, but 3-5 megabytes overhead is very minimal on today’s hardware and that will only become even more true as memory becomes even cheaper.

Managed code is going to be the future for most apps. There will always be things that must be written unmanaged, but for fast development you can’t beat Java and C# because of the tremendous standard library support.

Hi, Now VB.net become so popular …

if u love ur language then so be it.

it’s all depends on your strong logical coding and commonsense and usge of it function or creating your own functions that’s all yaar.

What a waste of internet bandwidth. It’s amazing how many people don’t realize that VB.NET and C#.NET compile the SAME. It’s a pure syntax difference, no speed, no different abilities - just syntax.

youre all wasting your time, i write CIL, have fun with your high-level language showdown : )

The"Express" versions are very slow. You need the “proper” version of Visual Studio. Although they look similar, “Express” is NOT a cut down version of full VS, and lacks features such as dynamic background compilation (which is why it is slow to start every time you run your app)

Use (buy!!) the full version, it’s great…

I don’t quite follow. What language you use (VB.Net or C#) is totally irrellevant, right? I mean, it’s the .Net framework that is important to what you can do with it. I speak danish, faroese and english, and all these languages work equally well for me to communicate in. Depends on what country I’m in.

This is the same with VB.Net, C# and Java. Depends on what platform you are developing on, and what your co-workers will be using… Don’t write VB.Net if all the other 15 people use C#!

Don’t you think it’s a bit vague to say - just because vb6 is getting outdated - that these people will not use vb.net. Your own references state that those who are leaving vb6 are chosing different directions: You quoted that 43 will continue using microsoft platform, and of these:
37 will continue using VB (.net)
31 will use JAVA (Microsoft???)
39 will use C# (.net)

You need to do some more research or simply close this site down. You are way out of touch with todays technology.

good

Right.

Okay, this article was from 2005, so I can only hope that the author has since changed his opinion about this. I don’t have the time to read through nearly three years worth of issues, so forgive me in advance if I’m restating the obvious here.

All .NET languages, including C#, VB.NET (VB 2008 technically speaking), and even COBOL.NET all compile down to MSIL anyway. C# doesn’t provide any technical advantage anymore beyond inflating the egos of those who use it.

VB.NET has a lower barrier to entry, and that may be why you still hear about VB code being bad–these aren’t problems with the language; these are problems with the green developers who are still learning their craft.

C# has the benefit of being terse, while VB.NET is verbose; but while this may be an advantage while you’re developing (less keystrokes==marginally faster code generation) I present to you that VB’s verboisty is a strength, not a weakness.

The fact that each VB.NET structure has a clearly defined terminus instead of using the exact same terminus for all statements is and ADVANTAGE when going back to re-read code. Take VB’s “End If”, “End Class”, “End While”, vs C#'s “}”,"}","}", respectively. When I’m working on code, I want my brain devoted to understanding what the code is doing, not on “what is this curly bracket tied to?” VB.NET is inherently more readable–hell, it’s almost self-documenting.

In another example, VB.NET is case-insensitive–and this is often a complaint from C# folks. Well, I really hate trying to read code where the same english word means different things throughout the code simply becuase it’s capitized differently. I’ve seen horrorshows like this in the past:

if (ed!=Ed){ED=eD–;Ed=ed;}//WTF?

…seemed like a good idea at the time, I suppose. Anyway, this point is moot, because you can turn on Case-senstivity in the options. In fact, you can make VB 2008 as strict as C# or as loose as VBA, and every combination in between.

The difference between good and bad code has nothing to do with language anyway. There are fantastic VB.NET coders out there, and really crappy C# programmers, and I don’t think either camp can lay claim to have the bestest developers EVAR or anything.

But, like I said, I’d much rather sit down and read VB code than C#…

well, i work for a UK company with an esablished user base of approx. 27,000 desktop applications (C++/VB6).

as part of our service, we do an auto data-synchronisation between central webservice and client apps. During this process (and with customer consent) we gather data on dotnet frameworks installed on customer PCs. Approx 50% have either 1.x/2.x/3.x … the rest? Nada.

In Spring 2008, dotnet is not an option for slipping stuff onto an established userbase’s PCs. Ever see any large-scale distribution apps in dotnet? Of course not.

everybody here sound pretty professional in either of .net languages, as I read most of your comments!

My background is engineering and I did mostly hardware programming and some Java applications. However, the Company I am currently working for is using VB.net. I thought I go back to school and get a certificate course in .Net which will help both my resume and my current job! but, one of my friends who is a pro in C# told me to get C#.net certificate as opposed to VB.net.

I am not too sure if I should do that, because my company is using VB.net and it makes more sense for me to do VB…

Can you help in my decision making? does any one here know a good .net certificate program/ online certificate? what do you think is best to do?

The author needs an abject lesson in writing objective articles. I’ve never read such an biased load of clap-trap.