Who's Your Coding Buddy?

Who is my coding buddy?

Cheryl Burke.

you westernersā€¦

Miyuki and Natsumi

Iā€™m not going tell much, justā€¦ not another cop show :slight_smile:

On a serious note, I knew about the power of pair programming and work buddy a long time ago. If anything, the most prominent effect I have experience is how working with somebody else in real time inherently has me paying_attention to the matter at hand with such focus. Left alone, my mind tends to wonder and think about other irrelevant topics (read: procrastination and distraction).

And then now, the real problem - it is just too dang difficult to find a buddy who is interested in the same topics and activties as I am. Even individuals who are self-motivated and competent have their own interests and schedule to attend to.

I canā€™t express enough how much the ā€˜institutional inertiaā€™ is a factor here. I recently wrote something on my google+ about the concept in response to ā€œThe Best Programming Advice I Ever Gotā€ with Russ Olsen

I really believe in the value of pair-programming, to the point that it is very unlikely that Iā€™ll take up a software position if it isnā€™t part of their workflow in one way or another. I see it one of the biggest signs that the company has an organizational mindset of Egoless Programming.

Even in my hobbies, Iā€™ve worked with my friend to setup a co-working space / hacker house so that Iā€™ll always have my coding buddy by my side. Iā€™m working on redoing our website to have a proper blogging system (learning Ruby with Jekyll) to share our projects. Right now its just something I threw together to host my resume.

We had hoped to turn our basement in to an electronics work area, but the darn thing kept flooding out. Also had some issues with non-developer roommates moving in / staying on for far longer than expected. Being so, we may be leaving our current location soon.

Weā€™ve been looking into tools to help with remote code-reviews so that we arenā€™t limited to just the people in the house. Right now the best thing weā€™ve found is to just share out desktops with Chrome Remote Desktop / Google Hangouts, and making use of Hackpad / Github for code sharing. Weā€™d love a tool that integrates more directly with an IDE. Any recommendations?

1 Like

ā€œYou idiotā€ I cannot imagine a better way to tank morale and boost turnover. Much better would be: ā€œWhy did you take this approach? what problem(s) does it solve? How does this class/trait/field/variable serve that purpose?ā€

a friend of mine we had the rubber duck signal, every time we had a bug, made the other loot at our code, many times we found the bug ourselves, but having him ask, what does this do? helped a lot, and merge conflicts were a lot easier to solve, luckily our computers were side by side, now it seems similar to the coding buddy, i have to do this again.

I guess Iā€™m taking your kiss off my list, then.

What if I have no coding buddy? Nobody. And the rubber duck is far from being a substitute.

Now I know I should probably find one, I hope Iā€™ll be able to! :slight_smile: