Your Session Has Timed Out

I did not read all of the comments, but it did occur to me that “locking a workstation” is a pretty nice way to deal with “session timeout” - your applications, data, everything is persisted but completely inaccessbile until you authenticate.

You could do this on a web page to some degree, with an AJAX tool that communicates with the server and simulates session. Whenever user activity is absent for the amount of time, the AJAX tool could throw up a modal login dialog required to unlock the rest of the page.

I see some issues with this… since the server side session would be maintained by the AJAX communication, so more than just form field entries would be preserved, particularly if the AJAX tool is somehow circumvented.

Strange nobody has mentioned rails, so I throw this out there:
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/6184

“Introduce a cookie-based session store as the Rails default. Sessions typically contain at most a user_id and flash message; both fit within the 4K cookie size limit. A secure hash is included with the cookie to ensure data integrity (a user cannot alter his user_id without knowing the secret key included in the hash). If you have more than 4K of session data or don’t want your data to be visible to the user, pick another session store. Cookie-based sessions are dramatically faster than the alternatives.”

I have been timed out by Verizon using e-mail. Why am I not given a clue like 1 min. left ). To loose a letter I have typed carefully, is not funny or customer friendly. At the time of installation of service I was not told about time-out nor was I given a term of service with such info. If Bell telephone in 1948 could tell a long distance customer ther was 1 min. left on a 3 min. call surley someone can come up with a notice to the user. Verizon is not a customer service friendly provider of service. They suck.

I was wandering if it would be possible to create me a simple program to stop my online banking logging me out or do you know of such a program already in existence. Maybe just tell it to activate the browsers refresh button would do fine. I am not a programmer at all yet so i wouldn’t be able to create this myself.

thank you so much in advance

jsmith07611@gmail.com

there is nothing worse, than a lazy client complaining that they have to click the mouse button again.

Put your optical mouse on top of your wrist watch if it has a second hand. Is the mouse moving or what’s underneath it? Won’t time out (if angle and lighting is correct).

Wondering if there is a hack or a way to keep a site going that normally logs you out after 5 min. There has to be a plug-in or something to help with this problem???

1 Like

Most likely one of those “scroll or click the mouse every so often” devices or programs.

1 Like

@Collegeboy , Some web browsers have such extensions/add-ons to do this, such as Session Alive for Firefox. I imagine there are others for Chrome, Android and iPhone as well.

1 Like