9 Ways Marketing Weasels Will Try to Manipulate You

Is writing articles to entice readers to click affiliate links also in this book? (not that anything is wrong with that)

Speaking of affiliates, I wonder if there will ever be affiliate programs for selling ads on other sites (instead of selling products that is), for example for stackoverflow to start an affiliate program for selling ads on stackoverflow. How about it Jeff, maybe time for an experiment? :wink:

“I dont fall for marketing BS.”

Believing that’s possible means you have fallen for some of the most basic marketing BS possible.

“We feel compelled to preserve options, even at great expense, even when it doesn’t make sense.”

This sentnce perfectly apply to software design (at least for me).
If I have a feature in one of my applications, and I realize that no user really uses it, I fight hard to mantain it (at least hidden).
I cannot force myself to eliminate it completely. Maybe because I invested some time in designing and programming it, and the loss seems intolerable to me.

You obviously don’t like marketing “weasels”. Good, neither do I. But you also think that every software engineer should know how to market.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001177.html

You say in that post, “Just because you’re a marketer doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a marketing weasel.”

So I’d be interested in how you distinguish between the two. At what point does good marketing turn bad?

What does this have to do with programming??? The quality of your posts is steadily going down. If you don’t have anything relavent to post, don’t post anything.

predictably irrational? look at these people who still come back after all the useless article this blog posted. i just get amused each time reading these comments even after a down-right meaningless blog. lol

“Don’t fall prey to the “moneymoon”; just because you paid for something doesn’t mean it’s automatically worthwhile.”… Good thing this site is free =)

Captcha “behaves Wieland” - act like a heroin addicted frontman

Thanks, Jeff, you have compressed the actual useful info from a long book, and I don’t have to read it anymore - well done (although I don’t think mr. Ariely would agree :)).

This is exactly the sort of thing when I hear ‘Roadrunner with Powerboost’. What is powerboost anyway?

I dont fall for marketing BS. I know its all lies and manipulation. If I need something (and I know the difference between want and need), I go and purchase it. I will try to get the best price but if I dont, I dont care. My time and sanity has a price too.

More compelling arguments for why #4 appears to be the case is that a discounted rate a, reduces the subjective value of full fee offerings making them more difficult to internalize, and b, provides difficult but discounted clients the idea that because they are paying, they can be, well, clients. Providing these services for free strips the recipient of the moral authority to be a prick.

And of course, as stated, c. If services are offered at a discounted rate, not only are attorneys collecting fees ‘beneath’ them, they can’t fulfill their pro bono requirement (if their firm has them) or brag about their community involvement on the cocktail circuit.

Ok, I just felt like mentioning I’ve seen these exact quoted points somewhere else a few months ago, and it wasn’t from the linked site at the beginning of this post, nor ITS linked site. And they’re both newer than the one I read.

Also:
“6 is silly, when people say they will buy something for $X and sell it for $Y>X they are including the “cost” of sleeping out for weeks to get it. This is a statement that they would sleep out for weeks to get $2,230”

Obviously, the people buying don’t think (at the time) sleeping out is much of a cost to them. People who would only sell them for a 2,230 dollar markup aren’t ever going to get that price for them – since you need the other side of the view too. “Buyers” aren’t willing to pay that much at first because they don’t realize that the whole sleeping out business is nearly worthless. A $170 ticket that ends up “costing” them $2,230 more; they should definitely act on the whole ‘walking away’ bullet point. The irrational decision is freakin sleeping out for a ticket that obviously isn’t worth the 2,230 dollars of sleeping out.

What does this have anything to do with coding? This blog used to mostly about software and programmers and coding. What happened?

Excellent review!
It is a real plaisure to read you, always learning new stuff.
It is very impressive how you succeed on precisely presenting ideas and concepts. Very clear to the point and always with elegance.

Good Job Jeff, see you next post!

hmm. A book about common sense? Then again that’s marketing for you. Only, those weasels can spin falsehoods about free software. I assume that’s what you are talking about. I can’t think of anything else that is “free”.

I thought this post was interesting, but it was not immediately obvious to me what conent was Jeff’s and what came from the linked page. I actually had to open the linked page and compare to see.

Great post…if you like this book, you’d probably like Freakonomics as well. Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is good if you’re looking for something more foundational, too.

You can see #6 in action throughout online reviews everywhere, especially on higher ticket items. The reviews are often justifications for that person making the purchase more than an honest review of the product (“falling in love with what they already have”). I feel much more confident in the accuracy of bad reviews for this reason.

Ok this is only the second article I have read on your blog. I am now feeding you. You are keenly aware in so many ways.

I didn’t like the headline at all, could be because I have to market to sell my product and I am so challenged to do it authentically and within my core values because apparently people don’t understand what you are saying above and if they do they just don’t care. I look forward to your next insights tremendously.

“Just because something is labelled “premium” or “pro” or “award-winning” doesn’t mean it is. Research these claims; don’t let marketing set your expectations. Rely on evidence and facts.”

“[advertisement] Interested in agile? See how a world-leading software vendor is practicing agile.”

hehe funny…