A SSD in Your Pocket

I would love to use a USB 3 drive, but the ports for it are located on the back of my PC that’s under the desk… very inconvenient.

“That’s ok, self!” I said to myself, “I’ll just get a USB 3.0 hub!” Utter disappointment. I have YET to find one that works with a reliable set of the 3.0 stick-drives that are out there.

Have you come across this? It seems like the makers of these hubs don’t even TRY to test that they work with any range of USB 3.0 drives.

1 Like

Argh, wish they had an activity light on this thing. But thank you, I will definitely get a USB 3.0 flash drive right away!

I am still stuck with my USB 2.0 port laptops. No 3.0 since they are old. I guess its time to switch my stack. I have to still figure out some good backup storage for my media.

Jeff, I thought that USB flash drive is out dated !!
With cloud storage: drop-box, box-net, … etc, and services like Google+ instance upload of your photos/videos, I think no need for a USB flash drive anymore.

Jeff, I hope you share your experience in cloud storage.

Thanks,

Ahmed.

It’s rather funny, I actually got an SSD because I have a USB 3.0 external drive. It occurred to me that my USB drive was faster than my desktop’s HDD and I began to feel just how out of date I had gotten.

1 Like

Useless. Can you play songs from the thumb drive on the smart phone?
Use cloud storage like gdrive, dbox or pogoplug.

@Ahmed Abayazid

Drop Box, Box, Google Drive etc etc etc are all well and good for transferring/syncing files between your own machines. But if you have huge files (slow to download/upload over the Internet) or have a need to transfer files to a machine that does not have Internet access, then you will need some kind of physical storage.

Portable storage is going no where any time soon.

I bought one of these on sale last year: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226227

I get similar (if not better) speeds on a 3.0 port. Things are crazy fast.

The large size is useful for toting around CD isos for IT related work.

It’s all very well to talk about USB 3 being blazing fast, but on my machine (Dell XPS ultrabook) it’s completely unreliable. I would type more but I’m trying to get it finished before I get the da-dum, dum-da, da-dum symphony followed by a blue screen, a reboot and a ‘that port no longer exists’ refusal by the computer to acknowledge the blue slot in the side.

Seriously, the USB driver support is patchy, buggy, rubbish, slow, unstable - insert your ‘beta product’ terminology in here. Just try searching for ‘USB 3’ and see if the top results are talking about how good it is, or how unstable it makes machines.

I ordered one of these as soon as I read the article. It arrived today and holy crap, it’s amazing!

I’m going to try running an OS from it for a laugh. :slight_smile:

Steve Jobs’ dream of the NeXT Step could easily be a reality with these things. Dumb boxes plugged into walls. Plug in your USB to use your software programs with your data. Just unplug and reset to make it ready for the next user.

I can’t wait for movies to be released in cheap flash storage format next… Good bye optical storage.

How come my windows file transfer dialog doesn’t look as snazzy as yours :confused:

He uses windows 8.x. Do you? :smile:

I’m with you on the surprise factor, as recently as a couple weeks ago my only USB 3.0 device was an external 1 TB mechanical drive that was faster than my other flash drives but still very slow. I was trying to install Windows 10 on my Mac through bootcamp and it took nearly half an hour just to create the drive on an old USB so I decided enough was enough. I am now the proud owner of a Sandisk Extreme CZ80 drive. 64gb with 245 reads and 190 writes for $38. I’ll never buy another USB 2.0 device again.

Now hurry up with those USB type C 3.1 drives!

1 Like

Too bad most people’s experience with USB 3 is going to be the bottom-barrel stuff that goes on sale all the time. Adata, Kingston, Silicon Power, drives so slow that SanDisk USB 2 drives are faster and more reliable. Well, reads are generally pretty fast, but writes are too slow.

Also, USB 3 hubs are pretty unreliable. Somebody needs to set up a comparative review of those things, so the rest of us can know what to buy.

1 Like