A Tribute to the Windows 3.1 "Hot Dog Stand" Color Scheme

I still have a dos 6.22/ win 3.11 machine running for my old games like Duke Nukem 3D and such - its got its tci/ip stack and win 32’s and can run 1024 X 768 in 16 million colors. All my friends get a kick out of browsing with Netscape 4 and AIM 1.0

gotta keep the old tech alive…

How many people know that on the desktop of Windows 3.1, you could only have 40 program groups… No more… well, you could have more, but it would crash windows. The only fix to this was to use Norton Desktop as a shell replacement, which would allow as many as you wanted (I never tried to find the limit, it was well over 100). I know this tidbit because of my boss, who had a group for everything!

Why can’t we get the Recorder program back? That was AWESOME.

By the way Jay, do you know you can have multiple Program Manager’s running… beat that :stuck_out_tongue:

At work a while ago, for training purposed I needed to create virtual OS images. I made up NT4, 2003, XP, etc… and while I was at it, thought, what the heck… I’ll see if I can get Dos6.22 + Win3.11 for workgroups.

I’ll tell you, it took hours of work to get the right network driver for the virtualised NIC, and a lot of fine tuning of protocol.ini, and various other files…

But eventually I got it working! Found an old copy of Netscape 1.2, and Netscape Gold 2.0… and it was just like I’d been transported back a decade!

Emerald city was always my favourite colour scheme.

and the best thing is that the whole virtual image is only 100meg!

RB

Funny how we all act like its some sort of archaeological find… we all used like 10 years ago…

Still… funny name for a theme :smiley:

Despite the horrible theme, did anyone else get a tiny bit of nostalgia looking at Win 3.1?

I stil have an oldl laptop thats running 3.1 i remember my uncle gave it to me years back…and when i booted it up it had the hot dog theme…i almost freaked when it loaded

definate nostalgia…i spotted the otherday i can get DOS 6.22 for my pda…how cool…i can play doom!

I used to change peoples schemes in school, same old thing no one had a clue how to change it back…hehe

the bad, good old days indeed.

I remember using Windows 3.1 for the first time (having already used the Mac), and thinking, “Well, gee, they really didn’t put too much work or thought into this, did they…?” Because nothing seemed to really do what it seemed it should. Still today, Microsoft OS’s retain some of that inexplicable clunkiness like sideways scrolling open-dialog file lists. Enough. Please. Enough.

There was a car stereo in town that painted their building in that color scheme. It was quite “lovely”.

Stuff like that is what made the greyscale MacOS back then not so bad.

I had a i386 AMD PC with DOS, to install Windows 3.1 i upgraded its hard disk to whooping 633mb (found an old seagate HDD lying in a shop, purchased it for $16)
But donno wat was the problem, I was not able to install, later that PC gone kaput.
Was just trying for a fun, I have the latest PC :slight_smile:

“How can I use Hot Dog on Win XP??”

Just take a few minutes modifying the XP colours to a garish mix of red, yellow and white. It’s quite easy.

I have Windows 3.1 running under Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. I hae got it running at 800x600 with 24-bit colour. I liked the Windows Standard scheme when you run it with proper graphics drivers. I notice that Microsoft have almost gone back to that with Windows Vista :wink: As for the Hot Dog Stand colour scheme for Windows, OK. I am visually impaired, and I really am glad they meant this as a joke. My favourite colour scheme for Windows 3.1 is Ocean

Is there any way to get the old ini values for the Windows 3.1 schemes? I would like them to live on, including Hot Dog Stand.

hello jay,
do you know where i can get windows 3.1 for free? i have virtual pc 2007 and want to use some really old os’s

shavot
Windows 3.11-
http://vetusware.com/download/Windows%203.11/?id=4118

Boy is that HORRID!, I do remember it… bad on the eyes!

Ahhh, those were the days. :slight_smile: I sometimes long for those days when things were simpler, technology was simpler :slight_smile: At that time you were just happy to have a pc, who cared what the color. I remember my old Zenith Data Systems PC-AT running windows 286. Bought my first hard drive to upgrade from 2 360K floppies - 10MB full height IBM - sounded like a jet engine but no loading 5 different Wordperfect 4 floppies.

Wow! This brings back memories; playing the Gorillas game with its slow movement, basic colors, and squeaky VGA sounds; the then-thrilling ‘flying through stars’ screen savers…and the wild, wacky, simple, 2D world of 3.1…AHH memories!