All Programming is Web Programming

The web is just an interface, like winforms, swing, QT, GTK, TCL, etc. It is an interface with inherent benefits, such as deployment-less updates, but an interface nonetheless

Trust me, as a programmer for a VERY large company, some very complex applications are written in the insurance/financial (among others) sectors that are accessible strictly through a web UI. To do it any other way would be an IT and support nightmare of version hell.

The web UI is the very tip, of the tip, of the iceberg; it’s a means to an end. The challenge comes in developing faster, highly-scalable, highly fault-tolerant, applications that can cooperate with the various technology stacks. Then you get into SOA and the challenges of aggregating, transporting and transforming data across a global enterprise where milliseconds count.

I have developed in C/C++ for ~10 years and prefer the challenges of large-scale web application development over tripping through the minefield of unnecessary, archaic, tedium that is C/C++.

Huh… what a lot of comments for such a silly topic.

Unfortunately it seems we are getting back to making divisive comments just to get comments and reactions without adding to the community debate.

Well… it worked and I’m commenting.

I disagree with your premise, your reasoning and your conclusions.

My personal belief is that the line between desktop and web applications will blur to the point that “applications” will no longer have the “desktop” and “web” attribute applied. People will continue to be “programmers”, and the distinction between “web” and “desktop” programmers will end up being as meaningless as… well… as meaningless as the distinction is today.

But so what if I’m right and so what if you’re right? How is that affecting me in my job today? Come on – this site has some good historic posts on day-to-day development issues. Please bring back those good old days!!!

I should also point out that you completely misunderstand the term “Law”. “Law” is actually a statistical term for a distribution and NOT used in the sense that the statement MUST be adhered to. So “Moore’s Law” is a statement about the distribution of processor speed over time. It specifies the probability of “Y” (flops) will be a specific value given specific “X” (time) value.

That is: Y = a * X+ b, where b is a specific stating point and a is a growth factor. THAT’S a Law.

There are lots of them, some of them interesting like Benford’s Law. But they are ALL distributions.

Stating that some event is going to happen in an undefined period of time… that’s just arbitrary idle speculation. I predict that one day Microsoft will go out of business. It WILL happen… but when??? 5 years, 50 years, 500 years, 500,000 years??? My statement is pointless… like the aforementioned “Law”.

Sorry for being so negative, but we just seem to be straying further and further away from meaningful discussions on topics that actually matter.

“How can you have “most” of the programmers be “below average”?”

Because average is not the same as median.

Maths 101…
Average is a generic statistic term that could stand for: median, mode or mean.

Using these numbers; 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10 the values would be:

Mean - the point at which exactly halves all items. = 5
Mode - the most common item. = 10
Median - the middle point of all values. = 3.5

Median makes sense when the data is not symetrically distributed - such as house prices.

Mean makes sense when the data is symetrically distributed - such as IQ.

Mode makes sense only when you are interested in knowing the most common event.

Average commonly translates to “mean” (e.g. Excel), however the use of average to be “mean” is not a statistical convention. Statistical convention is to be explicit and not use the generic term “average” on its own.

Stating that “most” of programmers are “below average” would indicate that average translates to “median” or “mode” (probably median). Which doesn’t match convention, but is perfectly acceptable.

Just remember - half of all people you meet are below average.

Saying all programming will be xyz is always the kind of comment that makes people look as fools do.

The internet in general hasn’t created idiots, it’s just given them a voice, and thus more noticeable. This domain of the loser is no longer constrained to their basement bedroom of their parents house.

“Social Networking” is the downfall of us all, but then again, it’s all chattering monkeys really want anyways.

@Philip good comment.

“Stating that “most” of programmers are “below average” would indicate that average translates to “median” or “mode” (probably median). Which doesn’t match convention, but is perfectly acceptable.”

Actually, that would seem to imply that average is being used as mean, as if it were median (like I compared it to and what the other poster seemed to believe it implied), then you would have the same number of programmers below as above average. Using it with “most are below” implies mean.

Is “web programming” only that which runs in a browser?

Many desktop apps these days have some web components, include UI.

It’s time to think outside the browser.

I work with (and have great respect for) some really sharp ASP.NET developers. Most of my work has been developing back-end services and databases but I’ve done some ASP.NET development. I appreciate the power and accessibility (not to mention the ease-of-deployment) of web apps, but it is a major source of frustration that web development requires spending TONS of time dealing with “why won’t my UI render propery in version y of browser x?” problems. I guess I’d rather spend my time and brainpower solving more interesting problems. I guess I’m a Luddite - I’m hoping I can eek out a living for another 15 years without having to do too much Web UI work.

“So when will I be able to write an interactive 3D application that runs inside all of the popular browsers without any special plug-ins?”

Funny you should ask, since that is exactly what I’m doing right now for the company I work for. Using current technology it’s obviously slow, hacky and quite inefficient in many many ways, but non of that matters since it is good enough for what we need it for and the advantages of a web app outweigh the disadvantages in this particular scenario. It will obviously not replace our desktop app (yet), but makes a very good complement in certain cases.

Realistically I’d guess that in 2-3 years time 3D on the web will be quite usable.

@Adam

You’re right. Maybe I should take Maths 101 again.

That final statement was wrong and should read:
Stating that “most” of programmers are “below average” would indicate that average translates to “mean” or “mode” (probably mean).

Which can only be true if there are some very exceptional programmers that tip the scales, and therefore more than half of all people are “below mean”.

Because dick waving is the heart of programming. Thanks to the internet, that is. Since it is almost purely an intellectual game, unlike pretty much everything else, people will always want to claim supremacy. The smart ones figure out early on that all of this posturing is absolute rubbish.

I think this really boils down to an argument about why programmers write code. Jeff [and I] clearly do it so other people can garner enjoyment, save time/cash/resources, or both based on our work and expertise. Mr. Braude clearly works for other reasons, be they self-aggrandizing or merely intellectual.

It takes all kinds. Someone has to write those apps which make the web work (apache, rails, php, database drivers, etc) before we can start “web programming”. Maybe Mr. Braude could use his clearly superior brain to develop an un-klugified web language where we don’t have to mix business logic and presentation quite so much as quite a few of the modern ones.

I think this really boils down to an argument about why programmers write code. Jeff [and I] clearly do it so other people can garner enjoyment, save time/cash/resources, or both based on our work and expertise. Mr. Braude clearly works for other reasons, be they self-aggrandizing or merely intellectual.

It takes all kinds. Someone has to write those apps which make the web work (apache, rails, php, database drivers, etc) before we can start “web programming”. Maybe Mr. Braude could use his clearly superior brain to develop an un-klugified web language where we don’t have to mix business logic and presentation quite so much as quite a few of the modern ones.

Mr Atwood,

You have your own ‘law’ ? Are we trying to get in amongst history somehow?

Comon, stackoverflow doesn’t make you a pioneer in the web world and your not popular enough to have a ‘law’.

But I like it either way.

By the way, I suffer from spasticism

Putting up a web page != web application development. Mr. Baude is welcome to come sit at my desk and watch me work any day. Maybe once he actually learned about what he is denigrating he would have a different opinion.

All programming will NEVER be web programming. “Web programming” wouldn’t exist without desktop/hardware programming:

Is the OS web? No.
Is the IDE web? No.
Is the database server software web? No.
Device drivers? No.
Server side processes to support a web app? No.

The only thing “web” about web programming is the browser and the stream of data sent to it from the server. The majority of the elements of “web programming” have nothing to do with “the web” at all.

A more accurate statement would be “most of commonly-thought-of web programming is not web programming at all.”

Michael Braude article was so stupid that I wonder if Microsoft had it series of lay-offs just as an excuse to get rid of specific persons- Braude still works there. He was wrong on so many levels. You make software because you need to and not because you want to avoid headaches. Having different browsers to contend with is no excuse not to do web development. Do desktop developers worry about view state, post back, query string, CSS and other web-specific technologies? Experienced web developer do know things like like threading, OOP and other Braude implied they are too dumb to pick up. Software developer has its beauty and its headaches and it about what you need, not what you want to avoid. I wonder what Jeff was thinking when he decided to quote an idiot. Jeff sounded smarter than that when I heard him speak on Hanselminutes.

“Pretty soon, all programming will be web programming.” - I don’t think so, because in future there won’t be a separation between a desktop programming and Web programming

RockMelt will change all this. You will boot into the brwoser and there will not be a way out. No “x” icon to close the sucker, none of that. You boot into it and you spend your life in it.

If you hold F8 during boot, you will boot into jQuery IDE. It will have compile and save button. Guess what compile does? Nothing. It is javascript hahaha. So, you save your stuff into rockmelt’s registry, boot again and off you go with testing.

You can buy a Mac still.

APPLAUDES

Doesn’t Google kind of confirm this with their new OS?