Almost Perfect

We’ll be having the same nostalgic discussions about Word versus Google Docs in 10 years time.

Google Docs are awesome. Maybe you can’t run a small enterprise off of a single spreadsheet, but it satisfies the 80/20 rule very well and gives you loads of useful features. I have access to my documents anywhere, I can export to pdf with ease, I have enough formatting, and there’s all that built-in collaboration and change tracking.

Word Schmerd. I rarely use it anymore. Hate to sound like an old codger, but the constant interface changes without making the underlying program better just seem to be a waste of time. They have some good ideas, but the fact that you still can’t export a basic document to html and not end up with reams of garbage would be pathetic were it no so funny.

It was somewhat unusual for a software company to let the programmers decide the future of its products.
but some failure patterns are timeless
Context.

Is it just me or is MS word getting bloated with the latest version…
i mean ver 2003 was better …when i switched to version 2007 …i switched back again to ver 2003

and about WP …it can still change the tide…its not dead yet…
prolly in a decade…

@UNKNOWN: There is nothing wrong with features (until there is simply too many), but if the features don’t work like I want them to, then that is a problem because the features are there but not like how I would like.

@silvercode…So what u r saying is that the same features which are in v 2003 don’t work the same in v 2007/2008.

Thats strange don’t u think…i mean its MS…they would know better…
Somehow they have completely violated the law of least surprises with MS office 2007/2008/2009…
prolly because bill isn’t managing the company anymore…

The part in The Triumph of the Nerds where Jobs says what can I say, I hired the wrong guy is invaluable :slight_smile:

I’m surprised that WordPerfect still exists, and it ain’t cheap either! Who is buying and using this?!

I worked at the helpdesk of WordPerfect one summer (in 1992 or 1993 or so). I’d get people on the telephone asking me questions like: I’ve typed in a letter. What do I do now?, and people telling me they had copied the software from their neighbour when I asked them for their license number (imagine that, illegally copying the software and then having the nerve to call the helpdesk…).

@Jesper

I worked at the helpdesk of WordPerfect one summer (in 1992 or 1993 or so). I’d get people on the telephone asking me questions like: I’ve typed in a letter. What do I do now?, and people telling me they had copied the software from their neighbour when I asked them for their license number (imagine that, illegally copying the software and then having the nerve to call the helpdesk…).

That is amazing…

…and before WordPerfect - ok, WAY before, there was Michael Shrayer’s Electric Pencil.

Unfortunately WordPerfect for DOS, with all of its shortcomings, was much more reliable, robust, and straightforward than MS Word. Even typing a simple memo with MS Word (say, one that might want bullet points, or to have information pasted from a webpage) is a horrible foray into autoformat horrors, bloated behavior, and gross formatting difficulties. Much less if you have something like complicated footnotes, or, god forbid, non-standard page numberings or, please no, the need to insert figures into your document.

But yeah, he who is on top today will be on the bottom tomorrow. Yahoo! and AltaVista are great examples of that as well. Don’t think that Google, Microsoft, whomever will be around forever — it only takes half a decade for the whole market to turn upside down.

It is extremely telling about the corporate culture behind Word (and Powerpoint, and many other MS projects) that it is easier to insert generic clipart than it is your own figures.

If you really knew what the 80/20 rule is about you would come to the conclusion that only bloatware can fulfill it.

And to continue whining…

I’m an academic. I use MS Word every single day. A huge percentage of my life has been spent with this one program. And yet I loathe it in just about the deepest way possible. I find it completely untrustworthy and unnecessarily difficult, all under a smug veneer of being user-friendly.

It’s not just a case of using it a lot. I also use Photoshop, Inkscape, and InDesign a lot. I think they are all great. Occasionally I wish they’d do things a little better (come on, Inkscape, when are you going to have a Select by Fill and Stroke feature? get with it! don’t make me have to grok XML to do something simple and powerful like that!), but on the whole they allow me to do what I want to do with a minimum of struggle. They actually improve my overall productivity — their user paradigms and features are actually intuitive, useful, and accelerate my ability to put what is in my head into a digital form.

Word does not. I find myself fighting with the program more than even using it. In many ways it makes more difficult the simple transcription of ideas, much less more complicated things. (I use a lot of figures in documents. Word is so sub-par with in-line figures that I recommend my students to just not bother. They waste hours on it and it comes out looking lousy anyway.)

Why do I put up with it? Because I haven’t found an alternative yet that didn’t make me re-learn another whole system that didn’t seem to provide something identical (same cluttered interface, same mouse-driven GUI, same misguided ideas that they should try to make my document creator also serve as an HTML editor, same poor lack of figure support, etc.). Because compatibility of file formats matters. Because everything I have is written in MS Word. Because I keep hoping, against all evidence, that someday, SOMEDAY Microsoft will bother making Word robust and with useful features.

But then again, I haven’t spent much time looking around at others, either. Because that requires investment too. OO.org Writer seems bloated, slow, and just an attempt at an open-source equivalent of a broken product (Word). Abiword looks cartoonish and unprofessional, and had compatibility problems with my old files last time I tried to use it. I’m not against paying for a word processor but I can’t sink hundreds of dollars into something I don’t know is going to do the job. I know Word can do the job, only because I’ve learned how to suppress all of its bad habits. Do I want to relearn all of that? No.

I wish I could quit you, Word. You beat up on me all day long and I, like an abused spouse, keep telling myself that maybe you’ll get better, maybe you’ll change. Someday you’ll go too far! sigh.

@Shmork

I feel bad for u…However this is a good opportunity to write a new word processor…and start a micro ISV…

+1 for WP’s reveal codes. I liked Wordstar, too.

Word is so bad that the simplest explanation is some kind of corporate malevolence – no one can imagine that’s the best way to do anything.

I have some books on WordPerfect that I’ve been trying to sell for years.

uhrg! formatted text, what a nighmare era of history that was.

Thank heaven for Twitter and other text based communications where the words count ;0)

Sadly my company still uses Word Perfect. The execs are never too happy when they receive .doc files from other companies…

Programmers can make bad decisions when running a company? Rick Wagoner is relieved.

You’re making me feel young. I was 10 years old in 1992. I don’t believe I have ever opened a document in Word Perfect (heard about it often though). Now I actually know what all those crazy people who hated Windows were talking about. Hmm. They still seem crazy though :).

I think MS Word gets things done.

I don’t understand what people are winning about. I use Word once or twice a week to write memos or stuff. Works great. Don’t know about advanced features. Don’t care. It just works. Never crashed on me.

Looking down on Word is easy, makes you look cool and elite. Yeah vim and latex rocks. Sorry I have a business to run.

Next.