Apple Laptops: Good, Cheap, Fast -- pick three

Oh and for those of you who don’t check out techbargains.com, here are the latest Dell coupons. Pay special attention to the one that is $750 off of a laptop $1999 or more. Wow!

$300 off Select Inspiron Notebooks $999+ (Excludes XPS)
Code: 2$WP$RS0GBXFLL Exp 6/1 5:59am CT or after 4000 uses

$450 off Select Inspiron Notebooks $1499+ (Excludes XPS)
Code: X?67S1XLMWCLCV Exp 6/1 5:59am CT or after 4000 uses

$750 off Select Inspiron Notebooks $1999+ (Excludes XPS)
Code: JHWP?6BZH8DFFM Exp 6/1 5:59am CT or after 4000 uses

Never buy a Dell computer without a coupon.

So if they are going to provide a coupon, why not price the laptop at the lower price in the first place?

I’ll come right out and say it, I’ve had fewer problems with my iBook than with ANY Windows based PC I’ve ever owned. Just last night I had to reboot the previously mentioned HP laptop so I could EJECT A CD. I’ve never had to break out a paperclip, the official Macintosh repair tool, on my slot-loading iBook. Would you be willing to pay an extra $300 if you knew you wouldn’t have to futz with your computer? I’m not saying Apple computers don’t EVER have problems. I’m saying the problem rate is a lot lower than ANY PC line and many Consumer Report ratings support that statement. So, if I assign an hourly rate to my personal time, and calculate up all the time I spend maintaining a PC laptop vs. a Macbook I bet I’d spend a lot more on the PC than on the Apple. Which, in my eyes, evens out the cost. When I come here to read “Coding Horror”, I don’t want to have to make sure my anti-virus is running, enable the pop-up blocker and phishing filter, make sure my PC passes the Jen-yoo-wine Windows test, install a new video driver to make sure the one graphic Jeff has at the top renders perfectly, make sure that “ClearType” is enabled so the fonts render sharply, and have to watch my PC re-recognize my USB mouse just because I plugged it into a different USB port. I just want to start the browser and go.

I’ll probably get a Macbook at some point, I’m just not sure I want to degrade my user experience by dual-booting Windows XP on it just to run Half-Life 2 or Windiff. :wink:

Scott. No one is debating that Macs are higher quality than say the Dell counterpart. But a direct price comparison is clearly not going to come out with Apple on top. The reason that they ARE more expensive is because they are better quality. To compete directly with the likes of Dell on price, Apple would be forced to lower the quality of their laptops or basically offer them as a loss leader. It is pure economics.

I’m just calling Jeff out on his statement that Macs are becoming a viable option as a wintel replacement because they are cheaper. I was easily able to show that this is not the case. And Jeff didn’t even add in the cost of purchasing a legitimate copy of Windows which boosts the MacBook price even higher. So now the comparison is:

Dell = $878
Mac = $1099 + $150? (Win OS) = $1249?

That’s $371 difference to use the lowest Mac laptop as a VERY stripped down wintel replacement. That’s 42% higher than a comparable Dell machine. Granted, the Mac will be much higher quality but it should be for the extra money.

Mac’s are known for being high quality, not for being cheap. It would be like Lexus trying to do a direct price comparison against Chevy. Why would they even want to do such a thing? If this is really the way that Apple intends to go then I think it is a big mistake. But I tend to believe that this bit of hype has been generated outside of the Apple camp.

And in Jeff’s defense, he picked one of the edge cases that he mentioned may not even hold true for his comparison. A Macbook has some inherent quality built into it even in the lowest model which boosts the base cost. So it makes sense that there would be cheap wintel laptops out there that could easily beat it based on price. I would be more interested in seeing the mid-range Macbooks against Dell and HP. I would bet that they would be much more compelling. And those are the laptops that developers will be buying anyway. Not some stripped down base unit with only 512MB of RAM.

Like I said, I have no problem with the quality of the Macbook and would love to own one someday. But it sure won’t be because it is cheaper.

Never buy a Dell computer without a coupon.

Evidently that’s the trick… because without those special coupon codes, the Apple laptops have price parity.

I’d be careful about heaping on the upgrades, however. It’s still much cheaper to upgrade certain things like the memory and hard drive yourself. For example, Dell charges $300 for 2gb of memory; you can buy two 1gb SO-DIMMs for $150.

Make sure you spend that upgrade coupon money on things that you actually can’t upgrade yourself, like the video and display, etc.

Sorry, I didn’t answer your original question.

“So if they are going to provide a coupon, why not price the laptop at the lower price in the first place?”

Because apparently not everyone knows about the coupons. :wink:

Mr. Orange is so right. Why should Macs be cheaper than Dells in the first place? I will never use an ugly computer with crappy Win OS even if it run at 6 GHz and had four mouse buttons.

Nobody has mentioned malware here. What price do Win PC users have to pay for viruses and virus protection in terms of dollars and wasted time?

I just bought a 15" MacBook Pro for Mac development. I run Windows in a window with a href="http://www.parallels.com/"Parallels/a desktop. This works so great it isn’t even funny. I could literally get rid of my PC laptop (an HP) and just use the Mac, running “everything” in the Windows window [at full speed] and using OS X when I want to. Apple has totally hit a home run here.

paid just over $1100 for this machine

I’m assuming that was with a web coupon? One thing I’ve learned from this discussion is that Dell’s web prices aren’t that great until you factor in the web coupons.

I just don’t see how you guys can attempt to compare MacBooks to something like a Dell Inspiron on price. Right now I’m sitting here typing this on my e1405 that I got 3 days ago. I paid just over $1100 for this machine w/1.6Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB ram, 80GB disk, bluetooth, upgraded wireless, upgraded 1440x800 glossy screen, 3 year warranty and… California Sales tax.

Reading this post I thought maybe I goofed by not more seriously checking out the MacBooks. So I went to Apple and tried to configure a similar machine… not even close $1500, and $1621 after adding in CA sales tax. The only thing that was better on the Mac was the 1.83Ghz processor speed.

I can certainly understand how someone would prefer OSX to Windows. And that alone might be worth it for some when it comes to choosing. And while the Macs have certainly come down from the stratosphere in price, they are not yet competitve with all PC makers.

Computers are just tools, getting your panties in a twist over why one OS is better than another is a waste of time. Its all about what the machine allows you to do. Some people need the flexibility of the PC, some need the specific mac only apps, and some just need to look cool.

The price I paid for my machine didn’t involve any web coupons that I found. This was just the price that Dell was offering at the time. I do believe that there was some sort of coupon or discount applied, but that was done automatically by Dell.

The base price on this machine started out at $700, with Core Duo, 1GB RAM and 40GB disk. I upgraded from there. I’ve been watching the Dell coupons on Slickdeals.net for the past couple of months. And thought I really missed out when I didn’t pick up a machine a couple of weeks ago. The coupons are great if one coincides with your buying timeframe. But they are not the only way to get a good deal on these machines.

As far as developer tools are concerned. All of the stuff the other guy just mentioned are available for free on the PC. The only thing that really costs is if you want to develop with Visual Studio .Net (or whatever it’s being called these days). Most people are not software developers so those tools are meaningless to them.

I myself am a professional software developer, with 20 years under my belt, and those things are meaningless to me also. I do development on desktop workstations, not notebooks.

I’m not saying Macs aren’t great… heck I’d love to have one. But it is not a cost efficient option for me now, nor has it ever been in the past.

Once again, computers are just tools, not religions or statements of one’s personal intelligence.

Derek

Do their keyboards still miss }, , ~, etc. ?

I’d like to get a MacBook when I’m next looking to buy a notebook computer, but unfortunately they’re a lot more expensive in Australia. I checked the price of one of the MBP’s on Apple’s US site and converted that to Australian dollars, the same MBP in Australia costs nearly AU$1000 more. The Dell’s on the other hand are only a little more expensive than in the US which means they end up quite a bit cheaper than the Mac’s for us. Also, the Dell’s are more customisable. To be able to get the minimum specs I need with a MBP, I also have to get a heap of other stuff that I don’t need, whereas with the Dell’s the customisability is almost as good as I get with Desktop’s by building them myself. And it’s not even about the Mac only supporting a limmited set of hardware here, I’d be happy if I could just mix and match parts between different MacBook versions.

So even though I’d like to get a MacBook, it’s just not an option for me at the moment, which is a shame. I’ve never actually used a Mac before, and if I could afford to buy one, maybe I’d find I really liked it and would /then/ be willing to pay the extra for them, but at the moment it’s not worth the risk.

-Guy using a laptop he bought from Dell for $1000 off

The coupon argument is invalid.

Most people will NOT do research, at best they will do cursory shopping around if at all. I dont pay full retail for my MacBook, hell i dont even pay edu pricing for my MacBook. For me to then go around touting ‘oh but you never pay full price for a mac’ is just arrogant.

Compare the full retail price of each product.

The only exception to this is if the coupon is automatically added on all purchases from dell ?

As for mac laptops and heat problems, please, ALL laptops these days get blazing hot. It’s just that the MBP probably don’t immediately chop the processor speed in half when you unplug the power cord. And as for batteries, at least Apple is willing to recall any bad li-on batteries BEFORE the start exploding on a regular basis. Just do a search on “explode” and “Dell laptop”. As for me, when I can pay a little bit more for a car and get German design over Detriot, you bet I will. Apple=Audi, PC=Ford,Lincoln,Mercury. Did Ford just turn the brand around with the new Mustang? Sure, it’s freakin’ hot! But it’s just one diamond awash in a sea of crap cars they’ve been pumping out since the early 70’s. The only decent Fords? the Focus series. But do some research on where THOSE designs and quality standards came from…

I like the Apple/Audi analogy, I’m a VW diehard myself (and looking for an Audi wagon to complete my stable of VAG products). Onto the topic!

All Intel Based laptops as of 10.4.8 OS released support right-click with a two-finger tap, a one-finger tap is a left click, two finger scrolling up and down and side to side two finger scrolling if you move your fingers into an “o” pattern. So the point about the mouse being behind the times is totally wrong – you didn’t read the ReadMe file.

Regarding price, we buy lots of Dell and Apple hardware where I work. LOTS of it. We’ve begun the process to beef up the Apple relations because with BootCamp we can make an $800 (our price) mid to high end iMac function in Windows XP without any real sacrifice. Not only that, when you factor in that the puny little workstations that dell was shipping to us that did not support many DVI monitors, are known to overheat constantly, etc etc… whereas Apple has similar issues and fixes them much, much faster. Their support systems cant even be compared, really, we make a call to Apple and typically have the product replaced or repaired in a matter of days. It can take days to get Dell to acknowledge we have a problem.

As for the consumer market, why is Best Buy #1 at selling PCs and other electronics? Because people don’t care, much like buying a car it’s all about price and performance. Many people want small, portable and good on gas…er battery life. You cannot compare the Dell in battery life to the life of a MacBook pro, because OS X has far better power management abilities than Windows XP. Furthermore, the Apple systems are of better build quality and Apple does acknowledge and fix its screw ups. To compare Ford and Audi is just like comparing Dell to Apple – they both make entry, mid and high level products. You can get a Ford Focus (aka death trap) for under $9000 financed (on a $1700 wagon) if you’re trading in an old Ford, get the friends and family discount, special limited time 0% APR financing, etc etc. However after the warranty expires and your $345 throttle body goes, two radios, a wiper motor, three hatch seals, a set of tail light assemblies and 40,000 later… the Audi which cost a good $12,000 more with a many many many more features and didn’t develop any major issues until it surpassed 50,000 just seems like the better buy, don’t it? Same thing here – I’ve got many MacBooks and MacBook Pros in my support area and we’re not seeing nearly as many come back faulty as we did with the iBook G3 series or any Dell to to date. It’s a matter of perspective, Apple sells a lifestyle and Dell sells a tool. It’s like buying pamapered chef over the walmart brand, they both work for now but in the longrun your pamapered chef knife will probably still be looking good and functional, where the handle to the walmart branded one broke, cutting your finger off, and medical bills aside the savings didn’t work out in the long run.

My analogies sound too far fetched? Then why not go to a Dell Kiosk (The Apple Stores are another reason you should buy a Mac – localized, real time, people-based support) and ask the salesperson how often people come in asking if they can help them with a problem regarding their existing dell. Compare that response to what an Apple Store employee - sales staff or Genius - has to say. Then tell me you wouldn’t buy into Apple’s “complete package.”

The only thing Dell has going for them is printers. That’s really about it. Apple has their iPod, computers and this new little wireless phone. Apple isn’t a Dell, they’re a Sony – expect Plasma TVs within the next year.

Tomorrow my third MBP arrives all the way from Shanghai. The first was a complete lemon, the second ( a replacement after me being a bastard and not accepting more repairs) was a banana within two weeks, so another replacement …!! Now I wish that Apple would turnback the time, stop being a fashion accesory and use good hardware!! The price for my MBP was over $3000 loaded, and now I wish I could get my money back and do the stepover to another platform. Tomorrow I may have the hole fruit basket together…Thanks Apple!!!

I’d love a Mac laptop but they are just too expensive. Here in New Zealand, I can buy a 15.4" laptop with a 3 year warranty for $1800, actually I can buy one for as little as $1000 (Acer) but I’d want some level of performance. I don’t want a 13.3" screen, it’s just too small. The cheapest 15.4" Mac laptop I can get with a 3 year warranty would cost me about $3600. That’s double. The additional cost over 3 years and assuming increased resale price would work out at about $10 per week.

That’s not much, I’m on a low income and I’d rather spend that money
elsewhere, I could see one extra movie, or 1.5 Big Mac combo’s, or subscribe to the daily newspaper.

i have a macbook pro… 2.33
it is the best machine i have ever owned…
well second to my civic.

were can i find a white laptop

Well idk all I know is that it is down right crazy that we are so going to belive this crap