Avoiding Walled Gardens on the Internet

My facebook is for me and my friends in my chainlink surrounded garden. I don’t want my conversations or pictures available to my current or future employers, people I don’t know, or marketing harvesters. If FB targets ads to me I’m ok with that, they’re providing me a free service.

Companies and products investing time creating FB pages for reasons other than SEO or SEM is a waste of time. Create a blog as this article describes - it will be around longer.

Jeff, I completely agree with your sentiment, in fact I came here while writing this blog entry http://cathcam.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/app-internet-and-the-ft/

I couldn’t resist asking though, do you have a facebook account now? I do…

I don’t mind contributing to the public Internet BUT ON MY TERMS.
I CHOOSE to donate content I create
I CHOOSE to donate my time and creative input

This idea of ‘Information being free’ is ALMOST ALWAYS parroted by people who never create anything themselves.

I have NEVER spent my time in an office programming (sometimes for days) without a pay cheque with which to pay my bills at the end of the week. I certainly would have something to say if the owner waltzed up to me at the end of the project to tell me that he no longer needed to pay me for my work as ‘Information needs to be free’

So if I want to create a website and I CHOOSE for it to include a walled garden…

SO BE IT!

If you have a problem with that? I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad News but breast feeding should have ended for you LONG before you learned to use a keyboard buddy.

1 Like