Bill Gates and DONKEY.BAS

those source code printouts in magazines that you had to type into your machine? Yes, that kind of stuff.

I think I do, yes :slight_smile:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-best-of-creative-computing/

I didn’t really understand what I was doing… but it was fun to fiddle with the source and get instant results :slight_smile:

I’m too lazy to look into why is is right now, but in regards to Donkey.net: If you get the “type mismatch error” on line 208 in file “Viewer.vb”, you can mangle the file path and it will run without error. Go figure.

There was a Microsoft Lisp avilable in the 80’s. The product had a very short life.

Anyone remember the game bananas? It was a physics about gorillas slinging bananas, pretty cool! - 30 something on May 16, 2007 06:08 AM

I do indeed, exploding bananas. It was similar to scorched earth, a more logical tank game or indeed Worms of more recent. It was fun as… well as gorillas throwing exploding bananas at each other.

I don’t understand this… isn’t the driver’s score always going to be zero?

I can’t tell you how many programs like this I made myself. My masterpiece was “Chew Man Fu” - an oriental-theme Pac-Man clone for the C-64. I would love to get the source codes from some of these old games. Anybody up for “World Power” :slight_smile:

Does anyone even remember that?

The page has recently been updated.

Note that the vast majority of ‘software historians’ disagree with the statement that “… it is arguably a predecessor of all IBM PC games.”

They consider it a dead and failed branch of the software evolutionary ladder. And it is.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the man behind Microsoft Windows was originally successful for his small, efficient code in Altair BASIC?

Does anyone notice that the sprites are rendered slightly different depending on if you are running the original IBM Basic version of DONKEY.BAS in GW Basic (Microsofts standalone of the original IBM Basic interpreter)or in QBasic?

Yes, he was a programmer, he (co-)wrote the M$ BASIC interpreter IIRC and it was pretty bad, constant crashes, etc.

I used that program on the Amiga, truly awful language, truly awful implementation.

Luke.

@Telos

Careful now…some of us like FF12…

I’ll grant you its not the greatest FF game ever made, but it’s still fun.

The story from the Apple folklore site states: We were surprised to see that the comments at the top of the game proudly proclaimed the authors: Bill Gates and Neil Konzen.

Yet the original copy of DONKEY.BAS from the DOS 1.1 disks doesn’t show the names of the authors (proudly or otherwise.)

So is this not the original source code, or is the folklore story site just made up?

I remember playing this several decades ago. Maybe around 1986, when I was 11. My whole family went to visit on of my father’s co-workers. I always immediately went to either the Atari 2600 or the IBM he had. The one time I picked the IBM, he loaded up Donkey for me. I remember liking it.

–I wonder why credits stripped.
Not so hard to imagine why… I guess it could also be that IBM’s IP lawyers decided leaving the names there would ambiguise (is that even a word?) the license holder of that code.
Most folks that peruse this page would understand why this is no longer a problem - your rights to your code are signed off in your contract, thus the author can happily be left in the code.

Shakespeare back in his day was “just the writer”, just as developers are viewed today by a lot of firms out there.

I like the moral of that story!

While not related to Steve, this was possibly the first computer game I ever played, at age 4, and I too could not get enough of it.

Programming even the simplest side-scroller without background/layering and sprite libraries is no easy task. It’s pretty amazing that Bill and Neil churned that out in a single night.

I find it funny that the Mac guys thumb their noses at it in hindsight, as if they had developed or seen anything that much better in 1981. The abomination that was the Apple Lisa didn’t even come out until 1983. Hell, Macs didn’t even get colour until about 1990. And he compares the 8088 to the 68000, but by the time they were using the 68000 in production, PCs were already using the 80286 and even the 80386. Sheesh, that site is riddled with so many historical inaccuracies and embellishments, it’s no wonder they call it “folklore”.

Wow, I’m impressed that you got things running and have links to the back stories for this. This was a great little trip down memory lane. 8^D

…oh and I was a gorillas player as well. Got some friends in high school into it and we’d spend way too much time before class on the teacher’s computer 8^D

after 3 years of the post, a novice landed on the page to see Bill Gates code. by the way, Bill is now resigned from Microsoft .