Blog Advertising: Yea or Nay

Hi Jeff,

I would welcome some small adverts on your site of a google-adsense type nature. Why? Because you are in the USA and every time you link to some supplier of natty hardware I get the link to a ‘handy’ US supplier - but for me a handy UK supplier would be better :slight_smile: Yes, it is true, I am too lazy / skint to investigate Core Duo myself… but who knows what would happen if I had convenient links to similar suppliers in the UK, courtesy of Adsense?

I think you could look at it like this. You are generous with your links to suppliers who you presumably like and support (for whatever reason). However, suppliers have a nasty habit of having blips in service and let you down. Do you then regret the links you made in the past? Do you stop linking to them in future? Adverts are actually a way of balancing the perceived projection and would encourage the reader to compare items and suppliers, if they wanted to.

Plus, I know that blogs I support get a few cents / pence for a click on those adverts, and whilst I won’t click disingenuously, it is a ‘free’ way for me to support your continued blogging.

Best Regards,
nij

There’s a thoughtful analysis of high-profile bloggers who don’t advertise here:

http://www.blogkits.com/blog/?p=77

Jason Calcanis estimates he could make $5k month at his traffic level, but chooses not to. He calls it “like advertising on your business card”, which I agree with.

http://www.calacanis.com/2007/01/09/am-i-throwing-away-100k/

I do not mind seeing ads on a blog, because I understand that bloggers have to monetize the information they provide in some way.

But when you see mental health advertising spam tatooed all over the comments thats something else.

I guess things have changed in the last 2 years :slight_smile:

You’ll probably never see this… But on your blog it seems like advertising isn’t really a big deal, it’s small, rather understated, fine with me that it’s there. I don’t even look at it as a “job” I look at it as merely you providing a service because you enjoy it, and getting a rather small amount of money in return simply because you can and might as well.

On larger pages with more advertising I simply don’t click to anything more than the first time I show up. On most pages I look at advertising as me paying for the service, and decide if I really want to pay that much for it.

This may be unpopular, I’d like to see more ads here. A lot more. See, I try to read you web blog articles, but they are very confusing and most of them don’t have a buy button. I’ve looked. I’m here and I’m ready to buy stuff, and you disappoint me.

Google Ads are nice, but I can’t afford to buy them right now. I heard they cost about four hundred billion dollars, and I don’t have that. What I really like are ads that pop up on the screen and play music or maybe even video, because they are very easy to find. Those are the best ones.

I used to find good ads in your comments, but it seems like your “orange” blocker is stopping them. It’s unfortunate. I’m trying to find somewhere to play p0ker online, and I just can’t seem to find a game.