Building and Overclocking a Core 2 Duo System

Can anyone please post their CPU temperture after over clocking a Core2Duo E6600. I have mine over clocked to 3.0 ghz using the fan that came with the boxed processor and the temp is 59 degress when I run Prime96 torture test. Is this too hot? Do I need a netter fan. What temp should I expect? What the lowest temp I can hope for?

Fantastic Article. Putting together various prices for my C2D setup. Based in the UK and the components are a tad more expensive than you guys are paying which really gets on my goat. Iā€™d love to get accecss to the 4MB of L2 cache in the 6600 but my pennies only stretch as far as the 6300 just now :frowning:

I have a total overclocking rookie question. Iā€™ve never overclocked anything before. I canā€™t seem to get my set up to run my core 2 duo at 3.0 GHz. Iā€™m not really certain if Iā€™m setting the correct stuff thoughā€¦

I have a p5b deluxe motherboard with a c2d e6600. corsair xms2 2 gig memory. All of my parts are listed on this newegg list - https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5107867

What am I possibly doing wrong? I have my bios settings set to the following:

CPU Frequency: Default 266 (Do I change this to 333 for 3.0GHz?)
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: 800MHz
Memory: Manually set to 4-4-4-12 Timings
DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: Manually set 2.1v
CPU VCore Voltage: Auto (Is this the CPU Voltage that I change?)
FSB Termination V: Auto (Whatā€™s this?)
MCH Chipset V: Auto (Whatā€™s this?)
ICH Chipset V: Auto (Whatā€™s this?)

Again, sorry for the rookie questions. When I change the above to 333 and CPU Vcore to 1.45 my system says overclocking error. What am I missing?

Quote Vairo:

ā€œI CANT DO IT , MY CPU FREQ STAYS AT 266, AND WHEN I PRESS IT NOTHING HAPPENS NO OPTIOBS TO INCREASE IT, I GOT SAME SISTEM US U BTWā€

On the Asus boards under BIOS you have to use the keypad to type in the CPU frequency, then press Enter to confirm the new frequency. This is something I realised just recently!

FAO Vairo; On the Asus board you have to use the number pad to manually type in the CPU frequency, then confirm by pressing Enter. This is something I only realised myself recently!

Stabfassa; Yes, you change the CPU frequency to 333 for 3ghzā€¦ I recommend reading this article for detailed information on overclocking your Core2 Duo CPU

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

Seems very similar to the system I just put together from parts from Newegg:
C2D 2.4ghz OC ~3.0ghz
Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb
2x1gig G.Skill PC6400 RAM
Thermaltake Toughpower 700watt PSU
ASUS P5N-E 650i SLI mobo
Apevia X-Dreamer II case (black)
22" Westinghouse LCD Widescreen

Groar I am teh overclocking monster!!!11!1

E6600 @ 3.6GHZ using Tuniq Tower 120 AS5 (Tuniq Tower 120 best heatsink in the universe omgwtfbbq)

To the n00b who said overclocking is foolish: Why is it that my C2D E6600 is running stable @ 3.6GHZ? This is a 50% (1.2ghz)overclock ā€“ it will undoubtedly run faster than these $900 processors will at stock speed, and it only cost me about $315. Hell, it might run even faster, but I will admit it is getting exponentially harder to overclock ā€“ I keep having to bump Northbridge voltage up to get it stable.

I am running a C2D 6600 on a P5B Deluxe v1.03g with a Zalman 9500, AS 5 and 4 gig of DDR800C5 Corsair XMS memory. I have an easy OC to 3.3ghz on 1.375vcore; the P5B Deluxe undervolts therefore the CPU voltage is actually running 1.32. I run 44c idle and 55c full load with Orthos. I can boot into Win at 3.4ghz but, I cannot get it stable yet beyond 45 minutes on Orthos. I have FSB Term, NB and SB on auto and I can probably get it stable at 3.4+ on air if I set these voltages but, no guts no glory. Itā€™s blazing fast and stable at 3.3ghz so I am very happy. I can run at 4-4-4-12 or CL4 on CL5 memā€¦not bad. Hope this info helps.

Heatsink question: I have a P5N32-E SLI motherboard with an Intel X6800 chip stock heatsink. I really need to know if you think itā€™s safe to put a Zalman CNPS9700NT. Itā€™s a 110 mm fan. Itā€™s also about 700 grams.
This fan is completely compatible for the chipset and processor. My question is strictly with the motherboard. Is it safe (weight), etc. Donā€™t worry about the $ issue either, it was free.

Larry

Hi, I have a laptop with these specs:

Processor Intel Coreā„¢ 2 Duo processor T5500 (1.66 GHz)
Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
Memory 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)

Iā€™ve already overclocked the gpu from 450/700 to 600/850. How can I clock my cpu without hurting it, and since I cannot open my laptop to clear the cmos, what safe software should i use?

Thanks in advance

Luke mate, i wouldnā€™t overclock a laptop, as teh heat would be too much for the laptop to handle, i would try a cooling matt that you can buy to get better air into it, to make things faster either upgrade your RAM and defreg your drive reguarly.

Finally went for it and upgraded by 2004 system, went with the
MSI P6N Plat with E6600 and the scythe cooling tower.

Into hour two of my prime95 tests, had it overclocked to 3.6 Ghz stable system but was getting screen flashes when switching some programs switched down to 3.4 GHz and no problem; guess I will stick with that instead of getting a newer graphics card.

hi, im new to overclocking and im slightly confused. in the bios on my mobo ( asus P5N-E sli) my fsb shows up as 1066 instead of in the region of 333-. i have a e6300. now i have upped the voltage from 1.29 stock to 1.32 on the vcore and changed the fsb to 1088 from 1066. in my bios it says the multiplier is 7 which would make my actual fsb 266 MHz as clock speed is 1.86 as stock on the 6300. any idea why my mobo is showing these numbers and if theres any way i can change it? thanks

Regarding:

Slowly increase the FSB speed in the BIOS. I have an E6600, which is a 2.4 GHz chip with a 9x multiplier. That means the FSB speed is 2400 / 9 or 266 MHz. As I increase the FSB speed, the CPU speed also increases. I first tried 333 MHz, which results in 333 * 9 or 3.0 GHz. As you can see in the screenshot, Iā€™ve currently gone a bit further for 3.15 GHz. Remember, make small changes and test as you go. Donā€™t immediately go for the highest possible overclock. Be conservative initially; you can adjust upward more later after you
develop confidence.

ā€¦
So I tried starting off at 300 instead of 333, it changed it on the bios screen, but under windows (vista 64) using cpu-z the core speed remains at 2400 (bus speed at 266 multiplier 9). Any idea why; does the increment from 266 need to be by a certain factor?

Regarding ā€¦

Increase voltage to the CPU, and memory in the BIOS. To goose that extra bit of performance out of your system, increase voltages in the BIOS across the board. Donā€™t worry, Iā€™m not talking about massive increases here-- just slight boosts. Iā€™m using 1.425 volts for the CPU (up from 1.35v), and 2.1 volts (up from 1.8v) for the memory. If what you want to do doesnā€™t work with these modest voltage boosts, it probably wonā€™t work at all.

ā€¦ is this required ā€¦

Sorry if these questions r silly, Iā€™m a newbie.

I overclocked mine e6600 to 2.6Ghz just using msi overclock utility, and it states in it that itā€™s runing at 2.6Ghz, 295 is bus speed with multiplier of 9, but when i look in cpuz it shows that iā€™m runing 295 bus speed with multiplier of 6 o.0 . how is that possible and how do i fix that? the computer still runs games like test drive unlimited at everyhting maxed out 50-70 fps with 50% load on cpu

e6600
MSI P6N SLI-FI NVIDIA nForce 650i
G.SKILL 1GB DDR2 800
8800 GTS
550W Xclio

regarding
So I tried starting off at 300 instead of 333, it changed it on the bios screen, but under windows (vista 64) using cpu-z the core speed remains at 2400 (bus speed at 266 multiplier 9). Any idea why; does the increment from 266 need to be by a certain factor?

Oddly, when I tried 280 it worked, however when I move up to 300 the system reverts to 266?

Any idea why this may be?

Reading through these posts I have come to a conclusion:
Overclocking is not everybody, somebody mentioned these guys that pimp their cars. Now to me that is dumb why change the engineering
of the car!!??? Iā€™m sure they look at my pc and say what the hell??
Why do you overclock? Itā€™s all relative, either do it or donā€™t and
if you do do it properly!

Im also new to overclocking but I overclock in small amounts all the
time!

I have very similar hardware to most folks out there:

E6600 overclocked to 3.0GHZ
ASUS P5B MB
3x300Gig SATA HDD
2x DDR 2 800 MHZ 1gig modules

This pc creams my AMD 4000+! However some people donā€™t need monster
machines, so one should not say AMD sucks now, to some guy just
typing up invoices and occasionally using his pc a 4000+ AMD
would be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT! I have 1400 egine in my car, I canā€™t
overclock it but it doesnt mean it sucks!!!

Enjoy Core 2 Duoā€¦ until AMD come backā€¦ the battle will never end!

Rob, when i go above 300 it says that the mobo does not support 267 mhz processor, which is real wierd, but when i stay below 300 it works, you might have the same type of problem.
here is the screenshot of the error i get:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/yevgenievich/error_above_300.jpg
and here is the screenshot of the bios screen with settings:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/yevgenievich/bios.jpg

Intel tests and rates their chips for a certain speed, but that speed is geared towards the lowest common denomination of case and cooling (for example, a case with only one or two fans and the stock heatsink for the CPU). Intel rightfully doesnā€™t want to foot the warranty bill for someone overclocking their chips with a poorly ventilated case and a standard heatsink, so they test with that scenario and worse in mind. Overclockers spend a lot of money on their cases and cooling in the quest to achieve better performance and reliability. For example, my FutureMark06 scores went from 5016 to 7023 after I overclocked my video card and CPU (I am also running Vista which is slower than XP). My system is completely stable. My sons mail order computer from a major manufacturer running at stock settings is not completely stable.

I have an Intel Core 2 E6600 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.5Ghz (and I had it overclocked to 3.8GHz with the VCore set to 1.44 (1.39 now). I use liquid cooling to keep the temps down. CPU idles at 39C, playing BF2142 it goes up to 48C. I have seen the temp hit 52C when my room is warm. This is still lower than it idled at with the stock CPU fan provided with the chip originally. Overclocking is a no brainer if you have the time, knowledge, and a few extra bucks. True, you can fry a component, but that risk is an inherent part of overclocking. If you are unwilling to assume the risk, then donā€™t do it. Nobody is making you. Just donā€™t claim you cant significantly improve the performance of a chip with overclocking. That isnt true.

Still canā€™t figure this out. Even if I set the voltage as outlined above

ā€œIncrease voltage to the CPU, and memory in the BIOS. To goose that extra bit of performance out of your system, increase voltages in the BIOS across the board. Donā€™t worry, Iā€™m not talking about massive increases here-- just slight boosts. Iā€™m using 1.425 volts for the CPU (up from 1.35v), and 2.1 volts (up from 1.8v) for the memory. If what you want to do doesnā€™t work with these modest voltage boosts, it probably wonā€™t work at all.ā€

I canā€™t get this puppy to take anything over 280.

Any help or insights would be appreciated.