C# Snippet Parity

For all of you who’re seeing folders that aren’t there when pressing CTRL-K + CTRL-X, the key is to delete this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings%User%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio

Next time you start VS it’ll get fixed.

Edgardo…

Brilliant! It worked perfectly. Thank you very much. (If you have a minute, would you mind sharing how you discovered that? I’d really like to know.)

I simply figured if its not in the registry, where the heck can be stored?

After 30 minutes of inspecting all the appdata/local settings/etc inside my username (you’d be amazed the amount of crap I found–this is a 2-years old install) I found that VS folder so I decided to delete it, and well, it worked. :slight_smile:

If you really need to know the following file is what contains these “extra” folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\1033\ExpansionsXML.xml

Edit this file to remove the extra ones.

For those of you using Visual Studio Express open the reg file and replace ‘VisualStudio’ with ‘VCSExpress’ in each path.

Thank you all for posting your comments.

They ALL helped me get not only the Snippets working OK but you also helped me understand the whole VS2005 Dev IDE a little bit better.

One thing though - when you are looking for a solution to a problem that shouldn’t be a problem (and boy this definitely falls into this category) there is nothing more that pisses me of than having to instal another proggy just to get the original problem solved.

Until now I’d never heard of 7.thingErMeJig and until I have a lot of spare time I probaby won’t again.

Once again, sincere thanks to you all…

joe paris, i was having the same issue as you were. their decision for microsoft to do it like that was asinine.

however, thanks to Edgardo and MikeWo for your replies to this thread. it was driving me crazy, but now i’m where i need to be.

THANKS!

jen

That was really cool. Especially finding the Code snippet manager helped me a lot! I was shocked when I didn’t find it under my tools menu!
Best of luck

Thanks for this code snipped.It helped me a lot!
Pefix from Sicily!!

The files are not on the MS site anymore. Thanks for saving them.
Does anybody know how you can make snippets “double tappable”?
For example: if I type “if”+double tab, the whole if structure is inserted. I would like something simmilar with some other snippets too.

how to disable right click in c# form

Yay! Now I’m snip-a-licious too!
My mom would be so proud!

First post!

No, seriously, thanks for doing this. This just about makes up for the loss of an evening on Darwinia, which is totally your fault.

As for 7z, I totally agree that it’s a better format, but since it’s still a 733t h4x0r format I usually make them self extracting exe’s (sfx’s). Dunno if WinRAR supports it, but the 7zip program does.

Replace text in readme.txt (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/files/ms-csharp-snippets.7z.zip) :

1. Try invoking the snippets (CTRL+X, CTRL+V).

to

1. Try invoking the snippets (CTRL+K+X).
1 Like