Coding Horror on .NET Rocks

You know, I thought so too… :slight_smile:

That’s one of the challenges of audio interviews: you have to be very careful not to introduce any verbal tics. I agree, I wasn’t careful enough.

Nice interview, you made a lot of good points and expanding on a lot of things that was in your blog. You were directly, fairly clear and easily understandable (just like your blog posts).

I’m going to be subscribing to the podcast, it seems like a good resource.

Great show jeff!

Congratulations!!!
It is very interesting not only to read, but also to hear you.
Go - mc Jeff - go!

Why .NET when PHP does all you need for free?

Great interview, I can’t stand the DNR guys, but I made the exception to listen to you.

You know I sometimes wonder if I’m in the right business, because even though I enjoy building things in this virtual world we work in, I know that I’m not a true geek. I’ve read ‘Code Complete’ and ‘The Mythical Man Month’ and ‘Peopleware’ and enjoyed them all. But when you and your two interviewers started talking about favorite code samples, I said to myself: “I’m outta here.” It’s code, not poetry and not even good prose. It’s logic. The constructs might be ingenious and the ideas lovely, but the code is just logic. So that interview just struck me as another gathering of geeks, reassuring themselves that their outlook is sane and it’s those other people, the ones who can’t pull out a sample of mind-blowing code, who are weird. And I do think I’m in the wrong business.

to JeffK:

Dude, don’t feel like the lone ranger. I, too, confront the same feelings you do. I don’t get excited about code in and of itself and I don’t lay awake at night thinking about optimizations. I do my job, and in the organization I belong to, I am productive and successful. Would that be the case in some larger organizations? Maybe not. Maybe I could stretch my limits and rise to the challenge, who knows. I code because I can make money doing it, people aren’t always screwing around with me and I do enjoy the challenge of it all (sometimes.) I read Jeff’s blog daily and it’s very good in providing me with insight into this field, which is helpful. I know I’m not one of the chosen few, and some would/will tell me that if I’m not a superstar/natural with computers then I have no business being in this line of work. Well, I disagree. We reach for the stars and sometimes fall short, ya know. This is my fallback career for the time being and I’m doing the best I can. Who knows what tommorrow will bring? Anyway, JeffK, I’m there with you. Now, I’ll wait for the boos and hisses…

I hate the music. I used to listen to the show quite often.

Great show Jeff! I’ve listened to every DNR episode and this is probably top 20.

respect :wink:

Great interview, Jeff. Like many of the other commenters, I had never listened to DotNetRocks until now.

You’re a very well spoken guy. It was awesome to hear you speak; you came across the exact same way you come across in your writing.

I thought blogs and bloggers were a waste of time up until about 2 years ago when I first came across Coding Horror. It totally changed the way I viewed the medium. I now read software/programming blogs voraciously, and have discovered incredibly good writing out there that has immensely impacted the course of my career.

Keep up the excellent work on Coding Horror. And I hope to hear some more interviews in the future.

Kenneth and JeffK I am with you both. Coding can and usually is just a job. I agree that you should care about your work and strive to improve, but the important thing is to leave your work at work. I do. When I get in my car I am on my time. Anything else wouldn’t be fair to my family.

I really liked the interrupt part of the interview that is optimum interrupt was 0.25 in an hour.

I just recently discovered this blog and am enjoying it immensely, thank you. Soon I hope to journey through past posts, time permiting of course! Hearing you talk was very entertaining, good job.

Jeff, you was talking in this interview about that the developers can become too more technical (over-technical) and weak in social (communication) skills.
Could you please give some advises to gain that skills?
It seems that I loosing them :frowning:

Hi Joe,

I started a blog but felt like it was pointless because I didn’t think people would start reading it. Any tips on starting a blog? (Sorry if you addressed this question in a previous post, I am a fairly new reader here at coding horror)

The first rule of blog club is, don’t talk abo… er, don’t worry about people reading. That should never be the primary reason you blog.

I have a few comments on this topic here: "blogging about blogging"
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000297.html

As I mentioned in the interview, the single most important piece of advice I can give you is to pick a (realistic) schedule, and stick to it. If you’re going to write one entry per week, write one entry per week. It’s like exercise: you have to stick with it to get the benefits.

Thanks for the tips Jeff

It was a chance yesterday (1/5/2007) that I was browsing thru IT Conversation, to .net rocks and then downloaded the .net rock show
233, then 232(which I noted Human side of…).
Went home and not getting sleep decide to listen, as I have read about silverlight and
not very much interested about “human side…” at the late night. Selected the show, of course I selected
The wrong one, it was 232, which I did not realize immediately, but I think I did a good job.

I am happy that I listened to yours, and the points you were mentioning on the show, that. Book reading club., code complete, Steve…
Team… interested me very much and I have been thinking about quite some time.
Then your concept on failure, and most of the time our code fails and we learn, the line between an amateur and professional. etc., interested me great.

I have been trying to find a blog like this for quite some, where we can share the books we read and discuss.
Also you were mentioning about your wide variety of interest etc., interested me great.

Whatever i have got out of the show, one thing i am carrying back is your blog.

Awesome interview Jeff. From someone who’s a self proclaimed introvert (as you stated in the interview), you’re extremely well spoken. Thanks for doing it.