Getting Started with Indexing Service

Great article Jeff. Thank you for your time and attention.

The footnote about the “BITING ASP.NET SERVICE SECURITY CREDENTIALS” really did save me - albeit after a day’s “where the hell are the documents, the query runs fine and there are no errors!” frustration. Well, better late than never.

One quick note: the real power of indexing service is the iFilter API. Most companies develop filter for their propriety document types and with this API the indexing service is able to index virtually all documents that you have filters for (pdf, raw image files (with XMP), dwg, mp3, doc, excel, jpg, gif etc). From this perspective, there is no alternative to this immensely powerful monster that is embedded in your server, and I’d go as far to say that any serious web developer would be foolish not to try and master this free tool. Learn and use all the capabilities of your environment, if not, sooner or later someone who does will come and kick your a**.

Hi. I am trying to index a network share (ex. \server\share) The only way I can get it to work is to plug in an admin account when creating the directory in indexing service. It will index the network share then. I want to be able to index our file server from our IIS server…

thanks,
Ben

How do you filter “unfiltered” documents? I have 3 Word documents that will not show up and I can’t figure out why.

Nice article! Really really nice!

Well, I have a question: I want to Index a directory that is in another server, but when I use the map name like “\directory” or “Z:/directory” it seems to not work because says no results and in Total Docs just appears 2 (I dont know which ones) but there are at least hundreds of documents in that directory. There’s something I’m missing? What do I have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Benny.

thats very nice tips! lucky i found your article. that save a lot of my time to fix my problem.

Can someone suggest what would be query command to get the directory path? I tried "#direstory “TARGETNAME=kato” but recived an error.

And this service has been sitting there for all these years?!
bangs head on table three times

Thanks for the tip!

Speaking of indexing, do you have any opinion about Lucene.NET?

Better later than never I’ve found your site and this article. Thanks for start.

I am having a hard time inspecting the content of some of my catalogs. every custom property in all of these catalogs is declared with secondary storage level. Most of all with type VT_LPWSTR (length 4) with some catalogs queries return with rowsets with data in every column, some not. Some hint. thanks for your time. If you can help me please write me your thoughts at pivt17@yahoo.com. Thanks anyway

Hi, as per my knowledge Indexing Services uses IFilters of respective file formats to index its contents. Is there any way to get list of properties that are supported by each IFilter especially by IFilters in Office Filter Pack 2007

The web page title is not mapped to DocTitle. I added meta title but it doesn’t work. Do I have to make a custem meta tag?

Hi,

I can say its the best article for a beginner.Thanks very much for all your time

I have seen your post blog. codinghorror . com/getting-started-with-indexing-service/ and others like w w w . iislogs. com /articles/W2k8R2IndexService/

Mindly notes:

Any script in C# or Powershell for check if Index Service is installed and running - listening? or

Any script in C# or Powershell for check if Provider=MSIDXS is installed ?

Any script in C# or Powershell for List the OLEDB providers available in the system ?

How install Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Index Server?
Provider=MSIDXS.1
C:\WINNT\System32\Query.dll

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Index Server and Microsoft Site Server Search
version 5.0.1781.3
msidxs.dll

http://www.opendll.com/index.php?file-download=msidxs.dll&arch=32bit&version=5.0.1781.3&dsc=Microsoft-OLE-DB-Provider-for-Microsoft-Index-Server-and-Microsoft-Site-

Server-Search

Downloading and installing Windows Search Server does not install the OLE DB provider. Neither does installing the Windows SDK. The provider is installed when the

Windows Search Service is installed.

On Win7/8 desktop OS, this is installed be default (I believe). On server Windows Server 2012, you have to enable the feature.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Indexing Service is MSIDXS . Windows Search Server is the same Microsoft Indexing Service?

Windows Server 2008 r2 using Indexing Server ?
Windows Server 2012 r2 using Microsoft Search ?

Indexing Service is no longer supported as of Windows XP and is unavailable for use as of Windows 8. Instead, use Windows Search for client side search and Microsoft

Search Server Express for server side search.

Proveedor Microsoft OLE DB para servicios de Index Server
Provider=MSIDXS.1
C:\WINNT\System32\Query.dll

Thanks a lot.