How Not To Write a Technical Book, Epilogue

I removed the closeup of Petzold’s address last night, just in case.

Kind of pointless to remove it when you still have the comment showing how easy it is to find it on Google. I’d think the only options that would make sense would be to remove both or (preferably, since this is silly) to remove neither.

For the record, 'tain’t no big deal about my address. My address and phone number have been listed in the Manhattan phone directory since 1975, and anybody regularly reading my own blog could easily locate the building in which I live, and even estimate which window was mine! (Here’s a view of the corner of 9th St and Broadway: http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/2006/02/120940.html)

When I wrote for “PC Magazine” back in the 1980s, sometimes someone would have a question about one of the little DOS utilities I had written for the magazine, and surmise that perhaps I lived in the same city that was home to the magazine. And then I’d get a phone call: “I have a question about the SWEEP program you wrote…”

Now that was weird, and that’s why Al Gore and I teamed up to invent email.

How paranoid are your readers Jeff ?
Just because they’re paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t after them.

Reminds me of the old joke :

I’ve watched you; I’ve followed you; I’ve even fired a shot at you to see how you would react.
There’s only one conclusion to draw : You are paranoid.

P.S. What’s the deal with copying text from this blog? You can’t finely mouse- or keyboard-select a limited amount of text from any article. It either copies everything from the point of selection to the top of the document or to the bottom. I even banged on my shift control keys just in case any of them were stuck on. I just don’t remember this being an issue in my previous quotations. (There is the single exception that you can double-click any word select it alone, but that’s not very useful for copying paragraphs of text. And even after selecting a single word, you can’t hold the shift key use the arrow keys to select more text.)

I lived in El Cerrito (on Lexington) in the early '60s. Had an empty lot next door. Stepped on a yellow jacket nest and one flew up my nose and about 10 others started biting my head.

… and that’s why Al Gore and I teamed up to invent email.
– Charles Petzold

Now that’s funny.

And I bet your royalty on each email sent is more than Al’s, huh? Lucky bastard.

For the record, 'tain’t no big deal about my address.

There you have it. Thanks again for the book, Mr. Petzold!

What’s the deal with copying text from this blog?

Let me guess: you’re using IE6.

As far as I cen tell, this is an IE6 problem; the markup itself is clean. Can you switch to something more modern, like IE7 or Firefox?

Also, I think Credence Clearwater Revival is from El Cerrito.

Yep, CCR is from El Cerrito. They played their last concert at El Cerrito High (the Mighty Gauchos) which is less than 2 blocks from my house.

(Google Maps link)
http://tinyurl.com/2fak7w

Let me guess: you’re using IE6.
As far as I cen tell, this is an IE6 problem; the markup itself is clean. Can you switch to something more modern, like IE7 or Firefox?

Yes I am; no, because I’m just too stubborn to switch to FF too paranoid to upgrade to IE7.

But thanks for letting me know it’s a browser incompatibility, even though I think it’s a fairly recent issue since I’ve copied/pasted from here before.

I am pretty sure, he will sell quite a few books more now. (so it is a quite cheap advertisment)

C.Petzold, a true WinAPI32 hero! I can still remember as a first year @ the university this 600 pages WinAPI32 manual! Ooh my God. C.Petzold’s books were ok …the real problem was WinAPI32 with C++!

I think some-one could write a post for that

How Not To Write an API :smiley:

hehe I’ve been given a signed copy too! Now if only I was as famous as you Jeff :wink:

http://runtothehills.org/rob/archives/56

I second the kudos to Mr. Petzold on having a sense of humor. Shows class, which is rare enough lately…

hey AC, you can try but he has plasma guns on the roof :slight_smile: