I Rock at BASIC

However, its a pretty safe bet that the lean, muscular model wearing the shirt in the picture does not rock at BASIC. That shirt should instead be modeled either by someone roughly the shape of a partially-deflated beach ball, or someone with the physique of a praying mantis.

Spectrum Basic all the way baby! I’m trying to teach my friend to program at the moment. It’s wierd trying to remember all those “fun” programs you can write when you only know about 4 instructions.

argh I feel so old now… .

Ah, the old Commodore 64 BASIC was where it all began for me. I’m with Sean on the “makes a cool diagonal pattern as it scrolls” - I used to add one character more than the line width to get a funky blur going on.

BASIC rocks, so much so that they still taught it on my Physics undergrad course 4 years ago on BBC micros…

perl -e 'print “I rock at Perl\n” while 1

Hi,
good point…I did programming in Visual Basic for a very long time…

By the way, Basic even exists on Palm OS handhelds. Look for SmallBASIC in google to find out more about it.

Lets digg this to show BASIC rocks:
http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2006/10/04/why-visual-basic/

Best regards
Tam Hanna

Wow, this bring back some memories. My first computer was a shiney new Atari 800 XL. It was even high tech with a tape drive that actually used cassette tapes.

My first BASIC experience was on the Commodore VIC-20. I saved up my “Hay-hauling” money to buy it, and started learning BASIC the next day.

5k of RAM, 3.5 User Accessible. I originally didn’t have any means of storing the programs I’d write, so I’d end up typing stuff in, playing with it for a few hours, then turning the system off. And, I didn’t think anything of it. I was having too much fun!

Of course, I ended up eventually buying the Datasette for it. But by then I had also saved up enough to get the Commodore 128, which had an AWESOME BASIC language. Best I’d ever seen, and the best afterwards for at least a decade.

-Fletch

5 rem Disable the break key.
10 A=BRK(0)
20 rem control N =line feed for paper printout
30 ^N
40 goto 30

Somewhere in after line 10 it had some print or lprint statements to mimic a broken logoff sequence. Then an imput A$ and a statement to write it to a file. We called the program ‘STEAL’ and used it to steal passwords. It was quite amusing to put every computer in the school on it and listen for the VVVVVVVvvvvv… of paper exiting the priter and the frantic hitting of the break key which was disabled by line 10 hehe… High school Hackers!!! But we had to, timeshare didn’t have much time and we NEEDED the access. HP-2000 level F with ‘dumb’ terminals and 110 baud modems dialing into it.

My first encounter with BASIC was a time share computer in high school. We dialed (big black telephone) the number, placed the handset on a modem and worked at a teletype (about 10 characters per second). No screen.

Most recently I’ve been programming multiplication practice for my children on discarded 386 laptops.

I worked on a 8 bit CPM computer with no hard disk. OS was on a 140k 5 1/2" floppy. I remember using command PIP to copy. ED80 was a compiler for Fortran 77. I wrote tons of interactive games on it. Best was an elevator simulator which asked user which floor they wanted to go, then it would print 80 characters simulating view from an elevator. My prof found this out and I lost the floppy for a month.

Finally I got around to write program for my thesis.

Alas, no printer. So I don’t have a copy. At the tne of the term I had to ‘surrender’ my floppy to the department.

Well.

I learned basic on a TRS-80 (1978).

Years latter (college I think) I had someone trying to teach pascal. He went off about how much better it was than basic using structures and all.

I found that nearly all the structures in basic exist in pascal, and actually basic had evolved (the PC version) to where it didn’t need line numbers and was pretty slick.

I turned in two versions of the first project, one in basic with perfect formatting, comments, function calls and no line numbers.

Then I turned in one written in pascal. Everything line was numbers and gotos I didn’t even use subroutines (I would set a variable to indicate return addresses if I wanted to reuse code-even when I’m TRYING to write bad code I ca’t bring myself to copy paste)

Never worked harder to get an F.

I wrote this on a Sinclair ZX-81 at 7 years old. Man, those were the days.

Can you change the T-Shirt to “I Rock At Visual Basic” :slight_smile:
I loved my Commodore 64!

10 REM *** I *STILL* rock at BASIC. ***
20 DIM WORD$(4)
30 FOR T=0 TO 4:READ WORD$(T):NEXT T
40 DATA "I","STILL","ROCK","AT","BASIC!"+CHR$(13)
50 FOR T=0 TO 4:PRINT WORD$(T):NEXT T:GOTO 40
60 REM *** :oP ***

Um… lol make that goto 50 on the end of 50. lol

Rocking at BASIC doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally have a brain freeze! lol

This item reminds me of the link below - the BASIC program here is my submission, too. lol

http://www.reed.edu/~tuckers/jokes/foot.html

The Glarkware website have changed their layout, so the shirt in question is now at: http://www.glarkware.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3idproduct=1764

Thanks Random, I updated the post!

I’ve read your program over and over - untill my hard dick went full

sorry, but I had to comment. Anyway congratulations for good looking