Introducing Stackoverflow.com

So now that you’ve decided on a name, what are you going to do with all the other great domain names that are registered to “Atwood Heavy Industries”?

Cool… Looking forward to it… It is a real pain looking at exactly what you have been searching for and finding it hidden behind the dollars (expert-ex-change… !)

Thank You!

people are already trying to mock your project! For only $250. haha

http://getafreelancer.com/projects/PHP-Website-Design/amp-Site-Clone.html

Jeff: I recently found stackoverflow.com and am addicted. What’s funny is that I work as a Linux admin in support for a large hosting company and my day job revolves around answering customer’s technical questions – so why would I be addicted to a site where I can answer (or ask) technical questions without being paid? Yeah…it’s because that’s what I enjoy doing, for one, and that I enjoy the game of answering a question best.

Oh, and I hate Experts Exchange with a passion (even though the registration required answer is available without registration I just feel dirty visiting that site) and refuse to use it.

I’m actually thinking of ways to incorporate some of your ideas in my day job…some because as appealing voting down a customer’s question might make a BOFH feel it’s probably not the best way to treat customers ;-).

Hi, just wondering if there’s still a way to listen to the first 7 episodes of the podcast? I see that ITConversations.com only has them as far back as episode 8.

The level of skills on stackoverflow is very poor, comparated to BBS or Usenet (20 years of history, experts only!)
, in particular about Windows programming…
Useless.

stackoverflow.com is the best community for programmers! great for sharing scripts and Ideas.

Thanks!

Podcast? No thanks. 46 minutes? Really, no thanks.

How about transcripts? I can process information by reading a whole helluva lot faster than I can by listening to it.

Don’t forget the small print at the bottom: All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License

i think it should be obvious by now, but “J2EE” probably has a new meaning!

oops! forgot to mention, if you use Jajah in some way…

Great! I just listened to the first podcast and your discussion has quite a range! Great to hear two experienced and influential techies chat… When can we expect it?

Wow? I was researching the dreaded Transaction Deadlock error when I saw this off-hand comment in 2008 that you were building Stack Overflow. Many kudos to you for building something and not just blogging. Stack Overflow has helped me to survive as a programmer and fool many employers into thinking I was pretty smart. I can’t count the number of times your website has saved my bottom. I hope it’s made you a small fortune. You deserve it.

1 Like

Congrats, guys! You and Joel are my two favorite bloggers hands down.

The irony that stackoverflow deadlock thread got me here. Congratulations and thanks.

1 Like

Wow!! Mr Atwood…I would not have known that you of all people built SO - one of my most frequented sites at work.

I’ve read some of your great blog posts before, and it wasn’t until I read your About Me section that I figured out you were also behind StackOverflow. Kudos and keep up the good work.

Also, it’s that logo that is timeless. Makes me feel like a programmer.
Cheers!

2 Likes

A milestone, 13 years later:

2 Likes

Considering the direction Prosus has taken Udemy and Codecademy, it seems like you may have just enabled some highly monopolistic exploitation of tech knowledge. Selling for $1.8B sure looks like a sellout since it doesn’t appear that the platform was cashflow-negative…

Let’s hope this is pessimistic and Prosus proves to be a good steward, but they’re going to be looking for a return on that (massive) investment before too long, and I highly doubt they’ll stop at the current monetization scheme in place for SE.

3 Likes

Interesting – I wasn’t aware that Prosus had a background in education related sites, but that makes sense. Stack Overflow is, in essence, a classroom, a place for learning and teaching.

2 Likes

Hello Jeff Atwood. I didn’t know this either, about Prosus and its parent company, Naspers. (I don’t know what percentage Naspers holds in Tencent, but it acquired the stake for $34 million in 2001 and it is worth $200 billion now.)

About Stack Exchange, here’s a quote from that Wall Street Journal article, confirming what user @bsplosion observed earlier. Thanks for sharing the link to the article here, by the way.

Prosus already owns stakes in two educational tech companies—Udemy and Codecademy—servicing companies. It is set to make an investment in Skillsoft, a publisher of training software used by businesses…

Prosus is acquiring Stack Overflow from the company’s founding venture-capital investors, including Union Square Ventures; Index Ventures; Andreessen Horowitz; Bezos Expeditions; Spark Capital; Silver Lake and GIC, the Singaporean sovereign-wealth fund…
Siemens AG, Chevron, Microsoft and Liberty Mutual Group are among the businesses using Stack Overflow for Teams, said Prashanth Chandrasekar, the company’s chief executive.

If it had been up to me, your name would have been featured prominently in the Wall Street Journal article. We miss you very much at Stackoverflow, have missed your presence there for a long time.

Best wishes to you and Joel Spolsky on this news. You helped so many people over the years, myself included. Thank you for that.

2 Likes