Is Your Computer Stable?

I second the idea of spending money for a solid PSU (Seasonic or companies that are rebrands of Seasonic) to avoid issues. I’ve had entire systems die from PSU failure (other components damaged) and had to rebuild from the ground up. It is the one piece above the rest that you don’t want to skimp on.

It is awesome how powerful these small machines (NUCs, BRIX, etc) are getting. I’m thinking about grabbing an inexpensive/used one, or something like a Pi and building a machine dedicated to emulating retro games.

I’d also be very careful recommending an old tool that was clearly designed for spinning rust hard drives, not SSDs. They are very different beasts and have radically different failure modes.

Steve Gibson from GRC has stated that SpinRite can be safe to run on SSDs, depending on which level is chosen. If running on an SSD, I would be careful or check with GRC first to determine the best way to run the software to avoid excessive/unnecessary writes to disk.

That being said, often when SSDs fail, they just fail completely. They tend to fail differently than spinning drives, so your chance to use SpinRite on an SSD will probably be pretty slim anyway.

1 Like

I am beginning to doubt the utility of MPrime a bit now that I learned it leans on power-hungry (and rare in real workloads) AVX2 instructions so heavily. For example, here’s a thermal image of the 2017 version of the Scooter Computer, under full MPrime load for an hour or so:

Under the same 4-thread Mprime load, this box goes from i5-5200u at 26w peak to i5-7200u at 36w peak. That’s… disturbing!

Four copies of BurnP6, in comparison, draw 22w…

Good news! You can disable AVX / AVX2 aka “the power virus” in the latest version of mprime. Simply answer yes to

Run a weaker torture test (not recommended)

And then yes to

Disable AVX2 (fused multiply add)
Disable AVX

No more needing to download an ancient version of mprime to achieve this!