iTunes is Anti-Web

if you don’t like it don’t use it. simple.

but browsers can do it all. you just need proprietary plugins.

That’s a great explanation of why the iTunes store is a failed e-commerce endeavour and will never shed any profits for Apple… Except that’s not what happened, is it?

I also have some disklike for it, but rather because being in Argentina I’m not even able to get into the store (even with iTunes installed) and browse nor buy anything. But I think iTunes is one of those models of how it can be done rather than something to point and laugh about.

@Jakub Nar#281;bski I gave Linux a chance years ago before I got my XP machine. I admit that Linux has improved since then, but my experience was that web browser and basic applications and Java worked, but that was quite about it. Linux has more elaborate command line commands yes and stuff, but in general it was really horrible to use Linux. I never got even sounds working so that I could have heard something or music. When I tried to install games, it wanted me to update packages. I tried to update the packages, it was very difficult. Then I learned that some packages needed a newer version of Linux itself. New Linux version was not worth my time for few lousy games though. In some point the X-windowing system crashed so badly, it never started up again.

Even today there is not much other programs for Linux either. I support Linux and open source in general, but I am happy with Windows XP now. So, what comes to iTunes for me personally, I couldn’t less care about that there is no iTunes for Linux. Of course it would be nice from Apple to provide it, but if you want luxury…

I completely agree with you Jeff. How can anyone be comparing iTunes to flash? I own a macbook, I’ve used iTunes, it’s a heavy, non-working, closed down, cpu-hogging behemoth. Worst application ever.

Flash on the other hand; so what if i have to install a small plugin to my browser, at least I can enable it and disable it whenever I want, and it doesn’t take up space.

iTunes Music Store is really anti-web, more than flash. Something iTunes might actually be comparable to is Java, good lord, but it’s worse. Why would anyone want to be forced to install a complete music player just to view some web-content?

And if you’re an iTunes fanboy, well, you ain’t got no say in the matter, you love your application and probably couldn’t live with out it. I feel sorry for you, you’ll never be able to experience Linux and the wonders of amaroK!

We have both an iPod and Zune in our household. We buy our music from Amazon and use the Amazon Downloader (desktop app) to download the music. I can download and browse for music at the same time. We have never had any connectivity issues.

Add me to the Happily own a Zune and don’t have to put up with all that crap list.

Amazon forces you to install Flash so does YouTube is that not anti-web too?

Flash is generally progressive enhancement. If I don’t have flash, I still see the majority of the web page, but I’ll miss out on some zazz.

Websites built ENTIRELY in flash are equivalent to the iTunes Store experience. And those are distinctly unpopular for a reason…

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/info/6qay4/comments/

I think Apple has a tendency to overdue their emphasis on the Designer paradigm (versus the Developer paradigm). While those in the Windows world often err in designing from the Developer perspective those in the Apple world often err in developing from the Designer perspective. Both paradigms can miss the most pragmatic solution. The iPod and iPhone have this beautiful case that has minimal seems but if you want to change the battery you have to ship it back to Apple and pay $100. IMO this is either a ridiculous compromise to make for the aesthetic appeal it buys you or, more cynically, a way to manipulate users into throwing away there old product to buy the new thing.

I have been trying to catch up on the StackOverflow podcasts and I recently listened to Joel praising his Mac Air blah-blah-blah PowerBook for it’s lack of seams, vents, etc. and how crappy his Dell Latitude was in comparison, when viewed from the bottom (seriously). I also recently heard Joel complaining about how you could watch video on his PowerBook because it would overheat! I have great respect for Joel but IMO he is a little to far over into the Designer paradigm. Sure my PowerBook overheats but LOOK how beautiful it is! The simplicity! It is a work of art! I would say, Yes, it is truly beautiful. But I need to get some work done so please give me that crappy Dell.

I think Apple wants this seamless, beautiful experience with iTunes that blends the desktop software with your browser in a way that hides the distinction because, hey, only developers care about that distinction. Having a browser-only version of that page doesn’t fit that vision so you get that ridiculous form.

And of course Apple wants to leverage the dominance of the iPod in the digital music player market to steer people to iTunes. It is so much easier to buy music from iTunes and get it onto your iPod than to buy it elsewhere, so clearly that is part of the goal. The fact that you don’t have iTunes installed indicates that you don’t buy music from Apple so you are not are target market for iTunes.

I guess it is good business but it is also why I don’t own an iPod :slight_smile:

winamp is crap

Ironic how when Apple locks someone out of their closed-to-all-but-the-enlightened platform, the choice is viewed as a business decision, but when someone can’t get Widget X developed by Company Y to work right with Microsoft platforms, it’s considered a monopoly and an attack on free thought whatnot.

Go figure.

you guys need to worry about something important

If you are on Linux, and all you need is being able to sync files (not AAC though) between you’re computer and iPod, then gtkPod http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html might be an option it certainly works for me on Ubuntu 8.04).

For downloading podcasts, try bashpodder or gpodder.

I really don’t see what the big deal is. iTunes is an internet enabled application. It’s not a web application. I agree that it would be nice to simply browse the store from your browser, however, I don’t really give it a second thought when I click on an iTunes link. From the standpoint of usability, I don’t think the Amazon MP3 store comes close to iTunes. Lately, I find that I shop/browse on iTunes and purchase from Amazon.

I think the general public is spoiled by having the web browser be the front end to just about anything you want to do online.

I was talking about this just today over coffee.
I truly despise iTunes, and Apple’s snobbish stance of not letting anyone access anything on ipods. It is by far, the worst software app written by Apple, and trust me, I really like the way it works.

The answer to itunes freedom, is freedom from drm. Until Apple’s drm is around, we will have to suffer itunes. I sure hope they atleast try to fix performance issues when managing any decent sized collection (4/5 G of music).

do you guys know anything about flash? have you seen the flash sdk? it is a resource hog because it takes no hardware features into consideration.

Amen, from a GNU/Linux user. Last.fm is a great example of a music service that is all over that ‘web’ thing. You can actually link to artists or even songs and it - gasp - resolves to a web page.

It’s unfortunate that there’s no iTunes release for *nix systems. Even a limited version that let’s you sync iPod’s or something… But that doesn’t change the fact that iTunes is an awesome music player/library application and everyone who’s anyone has it installed! Hell, at work where I don’t even have anything in the library I still have it installed.

I’m also not sure where you’re getting these links that take you to the iTunes store… If it’s a link to buy music then… what were you expecting? If it’s a link about the music then the site you’re going to are a bunch of idiots for not just linking to Amazon.

It’s not anti-web just because it’s an application. There is no web version at this time, so just don’t click on those links if you don’t want iTunes to launch.

@Ryan Montgomery: Can you supply your source for 99% of all computers running Windows or OSX?

On-topic, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a link to itunes on a webpage - anyone have a good example?

I think its very different from Flash. They could show the info in a page. If the people liked it, then they could install iTunes. You cant show a video without installing a plugin (like Flash) first.

I think what Jeff is saying is something that could help Apple. Dont see any bashing there.