Keyboarding

http://asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html

I have a couple problems with this:

A) that research was done in 1989. That predates Windows 3.0, even. I think the abuse of the GUI (and mousing) hadn’t even begun at that point. I’d like to see Tog using some of these insane all-Flash website interfaces.

B) “And, in fact, I find myself on the opposite side in at least one instance, namely editing. By using Command X, C, and V, the user can select with one hand and act with the other. Two-handed input. Two-handed input can result in solid productivity gains”

Basically programmers are an exception, and I agree-- they are. I said that up front. That’s why we’re the only people on the planet who seem to care where the PgUp/PgDn cluster is, or that our F-keys aren’t remapped to the “Open eBay and buy Beanie Babies” function.

My favorite keyboard is the IBM TrackPoint IV 104-key keyboard.

The trick to making it comfortable is to invert the keyboard - raise the front of the keyboard about 3/4 of an inch, keeping the back flat, and put a gel pad in front of the keyboard - works great, very comfortable.

Hard to find but a great keyboard…

Here’s one I was able to find:
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=01K1260-BXtxtMfgPartNo=01K1260nCategorySubID=125CategoryID=9txtSiteTrack=

It’s not about ME-- it’s about what you guys like! But since you asked…

Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo?

Very pretty, but mangled PgUp/PgDn cluster makes it unusable for me.

My favorite keyboard is the IBM TrackPoint IV 104-key keyboard.

Why trackpoint? You use the trackpoint functionality?

I’m taking a serious look at the TouchStream LP

It has no keys-- it’s a membrane. Usually that’s bad in an Atari 400 kind of way. But it appears to also be a mouse, eg the entire surface is touch sensitive? I dunno about that, I’d definitely have to try it.

You know, it pisses me off that major keyboard companies feel they HAVE to modify the PgUp/PgDn cluster to make their keyboards smaller, then LEAVE THE GINORMOUS, STUPID NUMERIC KEYPAD UNTOUCHED.

Who uses the numeric keypad! Kill that to save major space, and leave our freaking PgUp/PgDn cluster alone!

Right now, I’m also using a Natural Pro keyboard.

However, I’m taking a serious look at the TouchStream LP ( http://fingerworks.com/lp_product.html ). There’s a shop ~40 minutes away that has a demo model that I might try out soon. Yes, I know it’s expensive ($345 shipped), but think about it: how much time per day do you spend working at your keyboard? Five hours? Ten hours? More? When you look at it in terms of hours-of-use per dollar, not skimping on your keyboard makes a heck of a lot of sense, for the same reason that it makes sense to buy a nice big monitor or two instead of using a tiny 15" craptastic CRT…

They also have excellent resale value on eBay; they usually sell for $300, sometimes more, so from that perspective, all you’ve got to lose is fifty bucks or so…

Really, people, $300 isn’t THAT hard to rationalize away… just hard enough that I haven’t bought one just yet :wink:

It still looks (and sounds) awfully cool. Heck, at the rate my Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer eats batteries, this keyboard would pay for itself in, what, thirty years? :slight_smile:

A few extra notes: for those obsessed with configurability: you can use their software to remap the position and function of every single key on the keyboard, both letter keys and function keys and other stuff too; you can also configure gestures to your heart’s content.

The keyboard can be used ergonomically (tented) or flat on your desk… apparently most people enjoy using it most on their lap, since it functions as keyboard and mouse together.

Has the sleep/volume/multimedia functions as alternates on the function keys.

If you look closely at the keyboard ( http://fingerworks.com/images/products/TouchStreamSansFrame.gif ) you can see that the right plate has extra programmer’s symbols ( !=, //, +, [, etc ) on the main keys; by dropping your left-hand’s four fingers on QWER, those programmer’s symbols can be typed directly instead of using pinky-reaches. Very very cool.

As a matter of fact, I ONLY use the numeric keypad for navigation (numlock OFF). I cut my teeth on XT keyboards, and I’m extremely efficient with the keypad configuration of PgUp, PgDn, Home, End, and arrows. If I need to type a long list of numbers (rare), Numlock is just a keystroke away.

Advantage: they can screw around with the configuration of the middle block all they want, but the numeric keypad is, with the exception of the addition of /, *, and Enter, pretty much the same as it has always been.

Disadvantages: I hate laptops, and my coworkers hate me for forgetting to turn their Numlock back on after helping them on their workstation. At least I never converted to Dvorak, I’d probably have a riot on my hands.

I can’t tell you how long I had to search to find some used MS Internet Keyboard Pros for the last couple of developers we added. Good design and Mac drivers. I mean, we can’t be the only guys doing cross platform development. I can’t think of another keyboard that has good drivers for the Mac so that the keys map properly as well as a usb hub for the mouse. You do know that most usb KVMs only have one usb port don’t you?

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is still the champ amongst keyboards. However, supplies are now getting scarce. I had to get mine from France, which doesn’t actually matter since I am using it to write Dvorak anyway. In fact, it looks pretty much like this: http://www.debianuniverse.com/chapterimages/03/images-thumbs/05dvorak.jpeg

Although it has the multimedia keys, I find the excellent WinKey utility better for that purpose. The USB hub come in handy too, even if it’s not USB2. I guess that is the reason why it was dropped from subsequent models.

Wireless keyboards just seem pointless; how many feets are you sitting away from your screen?

I don’t have any trouble writing on a regular keyboard, but just as I prefer Dvorak layout I equally think ergonometric (i.e. split) keyboards are better. Any yes, higher powers that be intended the number 6 to be on the left side.

If you are in the market for a new keyboard, I can recommend checking out www.keyboardco.com. Not only does this have to be one of the few companies left in the world which provide good service, they are actually quite nice talking to also.

I really like the now obsolete Microsoft Office keyboard. I bought a pair so that I could have the identical keyboard at home and work. It has the cut, copy paste buttons along with a scroll wheel on the left. This makes it very easy for me to use with a mouse. The only annoying ‘feature’ is the F lock button, which defaults to off making all of the function keys useless until you push it. I rarely use any of the special application keys.

I am still a huge fan of the Happy hacking Keyboard (blank keytop model). I actually purchsed one and am amazed at how well I can type with it!

No special features, no frills, and no letters printed on the keys. :slight_smile:

See http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/en/hhkeyboard/hhkbpro/nokeytop.html for more on it…

Until I read this post a few days ago I didn’t realize how keyboards are changing (or have changed). All I know is that I, like yourself, still use an old Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (mines from Dell) and was wondering why any other Natural style keyboard just didn’t “fit”. At work they asked around if people would a Natural keyboard and said sure, then I can take mine back home with me. Then they delivered the Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard! What a piece of junk! Just like you pointed out, the two main key clusters are messed up.

So now the question? Where can we get the discontinued keyboard? I feel like I should now get two or three just stock up.

The Logitech Internet Navigator is great. I prefer this keyboard over any ergo model that I’ve had or tried. It has a very low profile that is easy on the wrists and has great tactile qualities. We use them at most of our dev workstations (which lets folks sit at another desk to debug, troubleshoot, etc. with minimal distraction).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00006HMPG/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/

Key placements are “normal” including the important F-key clusters (split between F4 and F5 is a biggie for me) and the 3x2 grid with INS, DEL, et. al. And there are Win logo keys on both sides: I use the right one most often, which is absent on many layouts these days.

I believe it was replaced by the Elite, which I have not tried but would expect to be just as good. It looks almost identical other than color and a dial for volume.

FWIW, I’ve been through five or six laptops over the past two years and I’ve found that I’m becoming more adept are adapting to new keyboard layouts. I currently run around with a Toshiba M200 tablet PC, which is a superb piece of hardware. It took me a few days to get used to the keyboard on it but now I am almost as proficient with it as on my Logitech. Perhaps finding that “perfect” keyboard is not as important as your attitude toward whatever keyboard you buy / receive (basic ergonomics notwithstanding).

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro is also my choice - I hadn’t realised supplies were so short, I’ll have to remember to buy a spare one if I see them anywhere! I’ve had two of these great keyboards and, while the USB1-only and #6 placement is annoying, the only real gripe I have is that the left hand control key often sticks. It happens on both my Pro’s, I wonder if it’s just me or have others noticed it too?

Agree with all your other points - the arrows and page up/down must be layed out traditionally (I made the mistake of buying cheaper version of the MS Natural Pro that had that weird layout - ick), and the hub is really useful.

Oh, that evil F-Lock affliction that affects some keyboards can be repaired. Check out:

http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

That’ll get back the function keys as they were intended to be used!

i too am using the ms natural keyboard pro. i’m really picky about having a large backspace button, a “” button above the enter key and not those large inverted shaped enter keys. those keyboard layouts are a pain to use.

You can’t beat the Sun Type 5c keyboard in terms of layout and tactile quality of the keys.

The “Happy Hacking” keyboard tried to emulate some aspects of the Type 5c, with mixed results.

Just ran across this slightly relevant cartoon:

http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/filing.010.html

I noticed the control key sticks too, MattyT. All the MS Natural keyboards that I’ve had have done the same thing for the last 7 years that I’ve used it on different OS’s: FreeBSD, Windows 95, ME, 2000, XP. I’m not sure if its a mechanical or hardware issue though. A reboot seems to always fix it.

I’ve felt your pain about a year ago guys… and I have FOUND THE replacement keyboard. I’ve bought about 10 different keyboards to test, and this is the ONLY one which is 100% identical to the Natural Pro (minus USB + USB Hubs). Before you skip this because it’s not USB, just buy a PS2-USB adapter for $9.00 which I did and it works flawless.

And the keyboard? The F8E208-BLK…

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=Section_Id=100pcount=Product_Id=98781

Now CAUTION: Belkin has several ergo-boards out there. I bought their other ones and they are pure crap. The keys are way to soft and you can’t even tell you are pressing them down. Anyway, I picked up this board and honestly it’s 100% flawless in its design and feel compared to a Natural Pro. Plus it’s black! (which I prefer over white).

Well anyway, I highly suggest you pick one up for yourself if you’re feeling neglected by the idiots at microsoft for discontinuing our fav board. And I give you my word you won’t be dissapointed.

And here is a link to the F8E208-BLK for $19 bucks: http://www.provantage.com/buy-7belv00f-ergoboard-108-key-ps2-split-design-black-belkin-game-pads-keyboards-mice-f8e208-blk-shopping.htm

Great thread. Just wondering why the Logitech Ultra X was rejected.