Learning, or, Learning How To Learn

You elevate software development to some sort of mystical status that is somehow saving the world or something

That’s not my intent. The rules are a little different in software engineering. Most other fields play by God’s rules (physics, biology, chemistry, etcetera) We’re playing by rules we invented-- and keep re-inventing year after year! That’s why it’s a particular challenge for us to be very efficient learners.

Dear Acolytes:

Yes, software is amazing, but to say “Nowhere is the importance of learning how to learn more critical than in the field of software development” is a bit preposterous and pompous.

This is a classic post. Thank you. I will keep this one bookmarked and point my teacher friends to it next time they tell me how much of the internet they block at the school router.

:slight_smile:

• AJ

A lot of people are mentioning that they sure hope their doctors are learning something every year and keeping up with the latest research.

Me too. Does the doctor lose his or her job if they don’t? Probably not.

Programmers have a huge incentive to keep up. It’s called money. Your doctor probably has to be forced into it, and resents the time away from their practice.

Doctors learn how to learn too, and get damn good at it if they last through med school. Afterwards…???

@Daniel Fischer

You’re completely missing the point. You skipped middle school and dropped out of high school, and you never went to a college/university. So, how can you judge its usefulness if you haven’t experienced it?

Graduating High School demonstrates your ability to go through a general academic program (math, history, science, english, phys ed/home ec/shop) and acquire a wide range of knowledge. Any four year degree at a college or university will do the same, but it will offer additional classes in the subject matter of your choosing.

Also, the most important component of a quality education is the social aspect. I learned more about people of all types and skill levels at college, and I learned more about how the world really works by getting to know a lot of people from different countries. You’d be surprised at how many I keep in contact with 5+ years out.

Developmentally, the “college experience” is all about balance. You learn to balance the learning with the fun. I argue that it’s where I learned who I really am.

So depending on the school, you may be in debt, sure. But I argue it was worth every penny.

There are honest educators and dishonest educators.

For dishonest educators, education is about indoctrination and control.

For honest educators, education is about institutional endurance tests. Surviving four (or more) years of degradation for its own sake proves that you deserve a job.

Fortunately it is still possible to educate oneself. You have to do that first, THEN go to school and endure the degradation.

I think this post proves itself.

What about learning new ways… of learning to learn? :slight_smile: