Lessons from Garry's Mod

Jon,

This is Jeff’s blog. He can write about whatever he wants. A lot of us find his posts immensely interesting, whether they’re on .NET or not.

-Nicholas
http://www.pdsys.org/blog/

Oh a similar vein is http://www.calamitygame.com/

It’s a Flash based game with physics - it provides you the user with a sandbox. You create physics based devices and machines which then… well… just do stuff

It’s not really a classic ‘game’, but like Garrys mod, it’s fun just to mess about in!

I think the issue with GMod being sold commercially is that it is claimed that he took code from others. He is now selling that code without giving recompense to the actual authors of the code.

Of course you could jusp play the old Version 9 for free

Of course, the fundamental difference in that is - well, fundamental. Garry’s Mod (10) is a completely standalone app, while Garry’s Mod 9 is a mod, piggybacking on a combination of a few Source games (you should know what they are). This means that it has no texture, model, or map dependencies - it dynamically loads everything from the internet, unless you’ve completely downloaded it. And, Miles Bacchus, believe me, there’s a whole world of differences between a mod, and a completely standalone app.

actually HubmaN you are required to have another source game if you want to play GMOD 10. Didn’t know Garry stole other peoples code though :/, that makes me like the mod less…Wiremod is too amazing to just give up though…

Hello, being a gmod player I just wanted to clear out some stuff about garry’s mod. Versions 1 to 9.0.4 can still be freely downloaded from the internet, lua is supported since about version nine. Gmod 10 costs 10$ or so and comes with free updates of the game, the lua, and some other stuff. Being the newest version, gmod 10 is supported by a community of couple dozen thousands people, while gmod 9 serves as an unsupported demo. There was a deal between Garry and Valve. Valve would give sell hismod through Steam, and he would get half of the money. Garry in turn was givenacess to source code to source engine (forever i think) to help him improve his mod in ways he couldn’t without it. I personally think Garry have done what any of us could do, if we cared to and had will. Since he tracks down bugs players notice, and does what he promises, I have nothing to blame him for. Oh and excuse me for the bump.

Gmod 10, i find, is the best thing that happened to the PC. of course, it was made some time ago (before Crysis and Assasin’s Creed and COD 4 came out) but I still find it a hell of a lot of fun.

Gmod 9 was alright for starters or beginners to the new Half Life Era, but after a good amount of time using a crossbow to make wheels and explosions, you get the urge to go online to http://steam.steampowered.com and buy garrysmod for ten dollars.

Is it worth it? Hell yes.

So stop whining about the price and get it over and done with; you will probably make ten dollars in a day’s amount of work. Gmod 9 isn’t worth the choppyness. Gmod 10 is.

can you play gmod for free?

i would really like to know where to get the garrys mod 9 free version i dont wanna get it from gamespot or fileplanet

i need help i feel like an idiot for asking this but how do u start gmod i cant get it to work

i have downloaded half life 10 and 9 worked well but when i start 10 it starts normaly but no menu comes up and it closes and i get a message sayin it wont work what can i do?

I’m trying to put a weapon i downloaded into the game, can u help me?

GMOD is frikin beast the best game I have ever played. the first time i downloaded gmod (gmod7) i fainted from pure awsomeness. But now since this problem has been going on for a month or 2 the game isnt quite as enjoyable. None of the Npcs(with guns) can inflict damage on me is there a fix for this? If there is please ,oh my friking god ,PLEASE fix this

i would like to have garrys mod for myself beacause it’s just…
well awesome

This is truly one of the best mods on the market. You only need to pay ten dollars once, and you have the world of Valve at your fingertips without having to pay another cent except for more Valve games to add to Gmods spawn list). The nice part is that this mod isnt limited by what the games give you. You can download free stuff for it, like tools, spawnable npcs and ragdolls, all sorts of crap! The only downside is that you can only purchase this online. If it had offline purchase available, entire stores would be swarmed!

Oh, Gmod, I love it so…to speak in annoyingly dramatic terms. TBH, it’s a real cool game, but, like anything that runs on Source, it lags my computer like crazy. Sadly, I can never find a GOOD server these days, one with people who play minigames every so often, one with no mingebags, one you might find in the midwest or Europe.

Filter the server list by names, look for Darkland’s servers. They always have at least 40 people on, and usually have 50+. There is role play, my favorite, which was created from scratch. It’s not DarkRP, it’s their own gamemode, and you can do all kinds of stuff.

Sassilization’s servers are good also, as well as JokerIce, but you have to pay a membership to get full features.

uh… its just awesome :smiley:

It seems that when he says “I would recommend the iterative method to anyone.” he is giving all programmers the best advice they could posibly be given. I have seen many projects fail simply because they were to big to work. The open-source modo “release often, release soon” is a good one to stick to, weather or not you are developing an open-source project.