Linus Torvalds, Visual Basic Fan

@simon:

I think it’s important to remember that VB predates PHP by a long shot.

Also, I’d be more inclined to think that your problems were related not to MDAC, which was fairly good at breakless-upgrades, but the fact that a DSN alias existed on one machine that didn’t exist on the other.

Frankly, if you can’t get VB to connect to a database, you really shouldn’t be developing software in any language. It’s about as easy as it gets.

Hi,

Coming from India, and exposed to US markets, seeing the number of persons trained on VB - basics, i agree. VB made ‘learning software programming’ a household phrase. It is altogether a different matter where all those ‘trained programmers’ went later.

And, .Net training is catching up again. Why ? Ease of programming in the initial stages.

Regards
Krishna

To rebut those who deemed Guido an arrogant, terse, pedantic idiot, this link manifestly shows the opposite.

http://www.artima.com/intv/pyscale.html

To rebut those who think Visual Basic is not a “real” language, I created an inventory system that can pull up an item in less than a second with a bar code reader against a database with 2 million records. Now if I had created this in C would that have trimmed it down THAT much?

The whole purpose of programming is to provide a solution. If you are going to create drivers or a game, obviously don’t use Visual Basic. But if you want your business to count beans or inventory, Visual Basic can get you there.

And I made a program that can send intelligable signals though the time barrier using VB6 (with a bit of hardware plugged in the USB port.) I can program in VC++6.0/MFC and Delphi but advanced mathematics and logic are quite enough without additional layers of complexity-it would have taken ten times as long in C/C++.

Try http://www.stifflog.com/2006/10/16/stiff-asks-great-programmers-answer/

I Find it Funny that Nobody here has said a thing a about VB 2005 which a Complete OOP lang. Bash it all you want but more programs are written in vb* than any other programing lang.

This article is from 2006, but, now, in 2014, Visual Basic 6.0 is in top 5 world languages. In May 2014, Visual Basic 6.0 is 5th and C# is 6th and as usual, VB.NET is 11th. VB6 is king in the jungle, it always was.

Where are you seeing those stats?

TIOBE has an index of them here.

Oh you and @mariusorion just meant good old TIOBE. Well why didn’t you say so?

Too bad Python and VB have virtually the same color in this graph, hard to see which is which.