Living the Dream: Rock Band

What’s next, a videogame simulating dating where the goal is to jam buttons until a seduction indicator turns red?

I’m afraid for our young Hendrixes and Joe Pass’s who, instead of buying cheap axes from Sears and grinding them to pieces, are buying these toys for mastery of an ersatz skill.

I see you haven’t looked too closely at Japanese dating sim games recently. That’s probably a good thing.

But seriously:
http://www.news.com/Is-tomorrows-Clapton-playing-Guitar-Hero/2100-1043_3-6220398.html

“The enthusiasm of [guitar] teachers like Emery and Skyler indicate that there’s a real chance the ultimate result of millions of people getting hooked on games like Guitar Hero and now Rock Band will be a new love of rock ‘n’ roll.”

I love voice of the great Freddie Mercury + game Brian May guitar.
It is forever!!!

Epilog (anybody else remember the TV show Dragnet):

Not sure anybody revisits these threads but I feel I need to update my comments. I got my kids an XBox 360 for Christmas along with Guitar Hero (yes, I know this thread is about Rock Band). First off - they love. I saw my daughter playing Surrender (by Cheap Trick). I have played that song in bands for like more than 25 years - and I can play it both on my primary instrument, the bass, and the guitar. I though - ok, I should be able to kick some computer game butt with this…well, being able to play the song on a real guitar has little to nothing to do with Guitar Hero - I quickly understood it is a different skill all together - first time through I sucked. But I do understand now how it focues your attention on the structure of the song - but in a different way from actually playing the song (which would be harder for a non-musician). These games may not directly help you play guitar but they do make you listen closely to the structure and that is a good thing. It is cool seeing my kids get into old-school songs rather than speak of it as “dad’s music”

These are cool games that will heighten your appreciation/understanding of music.

The games can help you to get a better grip on your instrument. There are various methods from which we could learn guitar. By playing music games (guitar games) you can improve your hearing (name tones and chords by ear).

There are various methods from which we could learn music.
By playing music games you can improve your hearing (name tones and chords by ear).
Can help you to get a better grip on your instrument.

If you are a music fan and a geek then you should check out software synthesizers. You will drool over the vast array of sliders and knobs in your rack of virtual electronic gear. And there are plenty of technical details and arcane knowledge to master. I will soon have a Korg Kaossilator, a hand held Dynamic Phrase Synthesizer which is the coolest electronic device I’ve seen this year: http://korgkaossilator.com/

this games is so fun i like to sing my uncle plays the drums my anutie plays the guitar its so fun while play like it was hard to play at first but then i start it to get the stuff

it so fun i know how to play on hard it will be goin fast as hell

Helping people to kick ass!
Rockband is an amazing game. I just broke the left (red) drum off the drumkit. The duct tape looks kinda cool. Not sure if I should buy a new one for $30 from amazon or get one of the better kits. I love RB. I really want to see an SDK for adding our own music to the format. Great site.

What is Guitar Hero? :slight_smile:

Oh, the musician jokes begin:

What does a bassist use for contraception?

His personality.

I have been playing bass these last fifteen years so I’m allowed that one.

I guess after all that time it didn’t even occur to me that people might not break the music down into it’s parts because I’ve been doing it for so long. This is good news for bass players because nobody notices what is going on with the bass unless it’s horribly ostentatious slap nonsense so if a few people start to hear that part of the music it will mean more props for the most underrated corner of most bands.

There is nothing quite like playing a musical instrument on stage live. The Guitar Hero is a great way to get use to fingering and it will absolutely help with co-ordination etc. I have played guitar for over 40 years and love to play live. http://lyonsmusic.com

As a musician, I’ve always despised anything that seems to cheapen the music-making experience at the expense of “paying your dues.” But as a human being, I recognize that the best music is made when there is no one left in the audience – that is, we are all participants. If the unwashed can experience music “making” at least through the illusion of participation, why not? It is what makes us human… http://cartertechblog.com/learn-guitar