Making Donations Easy

I agree on everything except the open-source bit. Yes, Paint.NET is open in the sense that you can take a look at the code; however the project doesn’t have CVS/subversion set up nor do they accept code submissions.

Since when did open source mean accepting code submissions from outsiders? So long as you have the code to recompile, it counts as open source in my book.

I wish the occasional monetary award or ‘successful project’ chachka were really PayPal gift cards instead.

Shirts, Jackets, and (most recently) actual giftcards are nice, but nothin beats cold hard cash.

Then it would be so easy to hand it off to the opensource projects that make my life easier.

Convincing the boss to part with money that’s not from an invoice is much harder.

When it comes to my paycheck, that’s usually already spoken for :frowning:

The code is open, the project is not. I know it may seem silly to make the distinction but I specifically tried to get involved (actually wrote a fair bit of code) but was rejected on the grounds of legality. They claimed that Microsoft’s legal department wouldn’t allow third party code to be accepted.

Question:
Who gets the money in an open source project? Is it split between everyone who contributed?

Gunther:

It really does depend on the project. One project might choose to nominate one person who does the most work as the person to receive the donation, while another might choose to divide it evenly.

I tried Paint.NET, and quickly gave up, after I found out that it doesn’t even have one of the most basic necessities in computer graphics - “snap to grid”.

My vote for a worthy app would be PSPad, a text editor for Windows. It has rudimentary project management features, but as a scripting tool and text editor, I’ve yet to find anything better.

I’d have to go with 7zip for my favorite OSS project. Best archiving tool ever.

Thanks!

"Unfortunately, while Paint.Net has an open licence source, it is not an “open source project” as per your previous post ‘Defining Open Source’ (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000904.html)

It does not accept code contributions, nor does it have public source code control…" - George

Absolutely correct. I actually tend to think of Paint.NET as “released-source”, but unfortunately the search engines and media don’t know what that means.

Jeff, thank you for the reminder. I’m rather disappointed with many commercial apps I used to like, but which are becoming more and more bloated, as you rightly noted not long ago. Since I started using freeware (both open and closed source), I felt obliged to contribute, but never followed through. So I’m making a personal pledge to observe a monthly Freeware Appreciation Day, on which I will make a contribution to one of the apps I enjoy using. I’m planning to start with KeePass, if only I can figure out how to make a payment (I did not quite realize how real is the point you’re raising in this post). The next would probaly be ClipX, then ImgBurn, Audacity, and many more. Hey, let’s make it a regular event!

Beyond Compare was free last year?

Free for 30 days, you mean?

I was really suspicious of something with the technology (.NET) in the TITLE of the application, but just like Jeff I was pleasantly surprised with it and have now stuck with Paint.NET for nearly two years. Yet another happy surprise was going through several major upgrades and each of them making the software BETTER (imagine that).

As far as the donate button, it is on the initial installer because it’s very possible you’re a fan putting it on another computer (your own, a friend’s, or a family member’s). Also, when a big update comes along, THAT update installer has the same donate button at which point you’re more likely to click it; since you’ve tried the software and now you’re updating it.

I didn’t read all the comments above mine, but if you need to be able to open PSD (Photoshop) files, there’s a nice little plug-in for Paint.NET which adds that support. I found that made all the difference in easing me away from my ahem unlicensed copy of Photoshop.

But what do you imagine we should buy?

I forgot the name of the company, but it provides loans for people who want to start a business in developing countries. Candidates are screened on beforehand and it’s a zero-interest loan; you simply get the amount back again after a time so you can reinvest it again.

If you receive donations doing this would work better than asking the user nicely to do it themselves because it’s not as big of a hurdle and combined donations can do more at once.

I believe that making donations as easy (or even easier) as dropping a nickel in a busker’s hat is going to provide income for artists who can no longer count on scarcity and physical distribution models to generate income for them; as simple as Radiohead’s stunt. Yes, one may bleed money from a thousand papercuts, but that’s still more than the daunting zero most artists get when things are distributed.

Imho I would much rather prefer a simple mail than a few bucks. If someone would do the effort to send me money, I’m sure he’d also take the time to write me a mail about why he loved my program so much. And to me that would mean a lot more then a donation, since I honestly doubt that any of my projects would be of much value. =)

Josh, just like Les, I used another taskbar button re-arranger in the past, but Taskix is indeed by far superior. So thanks for the tip !

You think the program is good then you should read the source. Sometimes when I’m eating a sandwich at my desk or just want to kill some time I’ll browse the source to get ideas, inspirations or just answer the eternal, “I wonder how someone else did that?” question. Seriously, the code is clean and it’s a great place to see some real-world uses of various concepts. The Command pattern implementation is particularly nice.

I’ve used Textpad (www.textpad.com) for years (since 2001 I think). It’s a great text editor and you can download language specific syntax to color code your script. I’ve used it for HTML, ASP, Java, ColdFusion and SQL.

I paid for the license back then its one of the first programs I install on every PC/Laptop rebuild :slight_smile:

I actually tend to think of Paint.NET as “released-source”, but
unfortunately the search engines and media don’t know what that means.
From my point of view, it’s the very meaning of ESR’s “open-source”, as opposed to Stallman’s “free software”, not in the words’ meaning, but in an “historical” meaning.

Wasn’t Paint.net originally written with MS support as a proof-of-concept of the .NET application?