Multiple Monitors and Productivity

I wonder how remote desktop works with Vista. From what ive heard, remote desktop is implemented alot better in Vista than in XP, but i think thats mainly performance and fps they speak about. I dont know how it works with multiple monitors.

I have a dream that i can have multiple monitors on a remote computer, being my laptop.

So basicly:

1 computer with 2x nvidia graphics-card in SLI - (3 monitors and 1 TV-out), which i can remote my laptop on, and distribute windows from both computers freely around among the 3 monitors and TV.

Is this possible with Vista i wonder?

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 P4 with an onboard Intel AGP. I also have a GEForce FX 5200 dual head PCI card. I am currently running two monitors but want to go to three. The motherboard does not have a AGP slot, but I do have another PCI available. I am somewhat confused on just how many video cards I need. Right now, one monitor is plugged into the AGP and one into one port on the GEForce card. Currently the second port on the GEForce card is not used nor does it appears in Display Properties Settings.

Should I purchase another GEForce FX 5200 and try to get three monitors running off of those two cards (bypassing the onboard AGP), or should I try with my combination of the onboard AGP and my existing GEForce. I am not a gammer so intense graphics are not a big concern.

Any advise would be appreciated!

one question,

first i have already 2 screens, but because i do a lot of animation (3d) i need 3 monitors (mostly because i also have scripts running to script animations and tools)

what do i physically need?

do i need a second graphics card? to have more then 2 screens?

Dells have rather odd custom motherboards which run off low-voltage PSUs - additional VGA cards are not ‘supported’ by Dell but may work. That’s what they said last time they were asked anyhow! FYI I run 2 Dell 2007WFP’s and have decided to take the plunge to a triple-20", 20"+24"+20" or 20"+30"+20" setup - my main worry about needing to DualLink-DVI the 30" is the only reason I’ve not decided yet!

Personally I’d try with the existing setup using a junk CRT from ebay or wherever, and then get a recycling company to take away the old CRT and get a LCD monitor if/when you’ve got the three working.

Good Luck!

There’s an important note on Windows Vista and multiple monitors here. Basically, it’s best to use video cards that can share a video driver (eg, ATI/ATI or nVidia/nVidia).

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

To answer a few questions asked in the above comments:

• You generally need a second video card installed to get more than TWO monitors connected.
  • Yes, standard PCI video cards usually work fine as secondary video cards in tandem with a primary AGP or PCI express video card. Note that I said usually… there can still be compatibility issues, typically at the BIOS level! One thing that has helped me in the past is setting the boot order of the video cards to favor the PCI card in the BIOS, so the system boots off the PCI card first. If that doesn’t fix it, you may be hosed; I’ve sometimes had to go through multiple PCI video cards before I found ones that would work.
  • I strongly recommend sticking with video cards from the same vendor (ATI/ATI or nVidia/nVidia) so you can use a single video driver. I’ve had problems running two different video drivers at once.
  • It is not possible to use on-board motherboard video at the same time as a standard video card. Plugging in a standard video card typically disables the on-board motherboard video support; this is by design.

As ever, the very best place to look for detailed compatibility information or get detailed help is at the multimon site:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

and the multimon site forums:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/

Is it possible to use the integrated graphic card together with a dual vga output card to perform the triple display?

I’m a web developer with a 5 screen setup. All 5 monitors are 19” Dell E193FP’s with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 each. This makes for a total desktop resolution of 6400 x 1024 pixels.

http://www.riddolls.com/images/seans_studio.jpg

What’s unusual about this rig, is that it has no AGP or PCI-E slots whatsoever.

It’s a Dell Dimension Basic that comes equipped with only three PCI slots and one on-board video port.

I went out and got two 256MB Diamond Stealth Radeon 9250 PCI [ http://www.diamondmm.com/S9250PCI256.php ] video cards on special for $78 a piece. Each card supports two monitors [a VGA and a DVI output].

I also acquired two DVI to VGA adaptors since all the monitors have only VGA inputs. The center monitor uses the onboard card, and the two monitors on either side use one video card each.

Considering how inexpensive it was to set up this system, it runs surprising quickly and smoothly. It’s no gaming rig, but as web-dev workstation it’s phenomenal. I can run multiple graphics apps, an xhtml editor, as well as multiple browsers and spread them all out with room to breathe.

I am trying to run a multiple monitor setup, but I wanted to know if you need to similar monitors to do this. I have a 19" monitor connected and a 23" TV connected by S-video. I can switch between each screen, but can only use one at a time. I have an ATI X1300 graphics card and Windows Media Center Edition. The card has a primary and secondary drive on it, but when I enable the second monitor it flashes and dose nothing. The card came with a control center but that is unable to setup second monitor either, and I out of luck here?

The background in that photo is called Neuron and is in the Microscopic section of my website www.dualmonitorbackgrounds.com
For those with triple monitor backgrounds, the site www.triplemonitorbackgrounds.com is coming soon too, and for the select few with 4 monitors there’s www.quadmonitorbackgrounds.com
I can’t say nice backgrounds will help with productivity but they look nice :slight_smile:

I use 4 monitors, I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce 7300GTs (512DDDR), it’s very nice ( 4 19" flats =) ) running on a Pentium D it’s flawless

hi am looking for a multi pc system in my pc.
i need two working monitors seperately working from a single machine
where 2 person can work in different monitors.

avinash_boot@hotmail.com

Nice setup for sure. But I definitely prefer having variable screen sizes. My display has two 17" wings tipped into portrait mode on either side of a luscious 21.3" landscape mode center panel. The mount is absolute heaven because it let’s me rotate the screens anyway I want with my finger. No screws, or cabling to mess with. Its like one of those cool previous-generation imacs with the screen on the arm. beautiful stuff. check out the details…they wont let me post the url for some reason…Im gettin an error. Anyway. its CineMassiv*Displays dot com. - 21X

I saw their MasterPlex has been getting some serious press lately. It might be time for an upgrade soon…dream.

hi,

i have a dell dimension 2400 and would like to run a second lcd monitor off it. I have a second monitor but no idea where to start!!
Im not very computer savvy and dont really know what ports i have. I have never upgraded so it is just what the dell dimension 2400 comes with as standard. Do i need to buy a video card/adapter and if so where do i plug it in?? Also, i read somewhere that 2400s have limited dual monitor capabilities? is this the case? Im a graphic/web designer but am still feeling my way around the hardware itself so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Hi Guys,

I’ve been looking for a software solution to enable all alerts/message boxes that popup to NOT span dead centre of both my screens.

Is there any way to manage this so a popup (from any program) pops to a specific screen? (I know the popup position is normally coded into the program…

Cheers.

HI everybody, does anybody know if its possible to run 3 monitors from two dual head FX5200 256 MB PCI cards using XP? AND how to do it? I got 2 monitors working flawlessly, when I go for the second video card, both cards show up in the device manager, but no screen on the 3rd monitor. Im using the newest Nvidia driver V.93.81. thanks HOmer

Interesting. I’d never say no to another monitor, but I tried a dual-screen (CRT) setup at home and the side monitor suffered from massive negligence. I suppose this is due to X-sans-Xinerama not letting one move windows between screens, and that I am also using virtual desktops. Alt-arrow is simply faster and easier than turning the head and moving the mouse pointer?

When using x2x to have the laptop as secondary screen I also keep forgetting the real estate over there…

A good idea would possibly to use 1600x1200 screens in portrait mode so three of them aren’t that wide to svivel the head while providing 110 lines of code at once in each window.

(@Tim: Use three screens :slight_smile:

Hello everyone…
I need to drive multible monitors…approx 30.
In a boeing 737 cabin trainer to simulate outside conditions in all the windows.
Any ideas???
Thanks for any input.

quite interesting

plan to try it out very soon

with three or more LCDs

For those interested, here is a useful bit of autoit script that automatically activates a monitor when moving your mouse over it.

It works for 1280x1024 pixel settings, so modify as required.

(AutoIT is freeware gui programming tool)

Opt(“TrayIconHide”,1);Hide tray icon
Dim $pos, $x, $monitor
;left monitor = 1
;center monitor = 2
;right monitor = 3

$monitor = 0 ;initalize without a monitor choice

AutoActivate1()

Func AutoActivate1()
Do
$pos = MouseGetPos()
$x = $pos[0]
if $x =1280 and $monitor 3 Then
;MouseMove(1920,10)
MouseClick(“middle”)
$monitor = 3
ElseIf $x0 and $monitor 1 Then
;MouseMove(-640,10)
MouseClick(“middle”)
$monitor = 1
ElseIf $x =0 and $x 1280 and $monitor 2 then
;MouseMove(640,10)
MouseClick(“middle”)
$monitor = 2
EndIf
sleep(200)
until $monitor = 4; perpetual do
EndFunc

I’m working on my third monitor and windows will not recognize my second s3 Virge video card. It gives it a code 10 and will not start. The monitor and card do work. Can anybody help?