On The Meaning of "Coding Horror"

“Oh come on, what kind of sad loser would find this blog for the first time, and then read every post in the archive. Well sure, there’s me, but I’m “special”…”

Yeah, me too.

I check every day to glimpse your limb-gnawing tedium.
It’s so relevant to my life :slight_smile:

hmmmm now why would that be so?

jeff,

firstly thanks for your blog. i read it everyday eversince i stumbled upon it on google. a hard task cause i’m in east africa thus 6six hours ahead of you.

hi
Your blog is the great source of fun and inspiration for me.:slight_smile:
Thank you:)
Great story about “hapiness only real when shared”. touched :slight_smile:

Interestingly enough Jeff, the very first blog post I wrote about programming (when I was 23) was picked up by you. That was the first time I’d heard of CodingHorror. I initially presuming this was Steve Mc Connells blog, but learned pretty quickly.

Since then I’ve read everything you’ve wrote, every word of it.
Your blog is really great, and it’s been a large influence on my programming life, not so much as Code Complete itself, but a large influence none the less.

So congrats :slight_smile:

Jeff, keep up the good work.

prog.reddit.com is mostly inhabited by youngish CS students, hence the massive amounts of Haskell posts and discussions about FizzBuzz. They find your blog “boring” because it’s about real development, with clients, and deadlines, and the inevitable compromises, and the need to use VB, or Java, or C#, or other impure languages.

You’re a voice of reason in a blogosphere that’s sometimes shockingly uninformed. No-one should be allowed to write about professional software development without having worked with it for at least 2 years.

Surpised no one has mentioned this one yet:

http://blog.kickin-the-darkness.com/2007/09/confessions-of-terrible-programmer.html

I’m going to be reading Code Complete this Christmas on your recommendation of course. I’ve only been a professional developer about 10 months so I’m glad I’ve already found this blog. I really hope I can find as much inspiration in the book as you obviously have.

Another “quantum leap” of yours.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/04/levels-of-consciousness/

cheers,
/wqw

I never get what I expect from Coding Horror, but that is why I keep coming back.

Who wants to talk with people who agree all the time… how boring is that ?

Ill sum-up how much I like your blog in one sentence:
"I check it DOZENS of times a day for new posts."
Or mabey this one:
“Thanks Jeff”

I have been writing instructions for computers of one form or another since I was 11, in 1981. I watched (and enjoyed) Doctor Who, and I used to try to find ways to make commodore basic break the time barrier. 11 was awesome.

All these years later, I am a C++ game developer. I have read this blog for quite some time now, and have always enjoyed it. The comments and commenters have made me nod, and made me curse. But, as has been said above, it doesn’t matter whether I agree with you (or those who comment) or not… the point is, you have an opinion. All my life, trying to talk to people about code, or Doctor Who, has been like bashing my head against a wall.

You, sir, are not someone who THINKS they have an opinion. You are someone who’s hands are dirty with screwy logic, as are many of the people who comment on your blog; and therefore, I gain a sense of community, or belonging here, reading the words of someone who`s opinion is genuine and valid… and the opinions of those who are inspired or stimulated to agree or disagree. I dont believe I have ever commented but today warranted the time taken.

I dont believe anyone that wastes time comparing your words with anyone elses is getting the point, or maybe theyve found their own point, who knows... its a big wide world…

But, I am glad you write this. I dont know how you find the time. My every waking moment is parsable text (and not by humans). I dont know how my fiancee puts up with it… maybe coz she`s a sysadmin…

But, thanks Jeff (!), I read this every day (even my local newspaper doesn`t enjoy that attention, LOL). Everything you say has a grain of truth to it… I always end up feeling that my life has been enriched by bothering to come here and read.

Jeff,

I have been reading your blog for about 2 years now, and I look forward to every post. I came here during a search for some books on becoming a better programmer, and found your recommended reading list. I have read nearly every book you have put on there. Being actually in the programming field for about 2 years now, your blog has been a tremendous source of inspiration, knowledge, and ideas.

Keep up the GREAT work!

This site is my joy of cooking, I was barely a Mort++, then I stumbled upon it a year ago, right away I had to go to post #1 and read them ALL in succession. Basically, Jeff’s easy accessibility and real humility inspired me to hone my own craft. I am a much more serious, professional, and successful Developer thanks in large part to this site.

Thanks,
-Andy

What a great book to find so early in your career. I’m still supporting code I wrote 12 years ago, and at times it’s quite painful.

“Limb-gnawing tedium”? Great phrase, but hardly applicable to Coding Horror. Hey, listen, I’m not a programmer, just know (X)HTML/CSS and wish someone would write a good word processor. I’m a writer, and I read your column for the delight I get from your craft. Also, as an almost daily reminder that writing well requires a deep investment in research and editorial elbow grease. Thanks, thanks.

Hi Jeff,

I can’t believe the comment about “limb-gnawing tedium”!!! I just looked at my Google Reader feeds and your blog has more starred articles for me than any other blog I read! I can’t even begin to count the number of times I referred articles you wrote. At one place I contracted for I know one of the articles I referred to went to the highest levels and was the basis of the final decision made.

And as I also mentioned to you before, I bought the book Code Complete because of your referral. It’s a great book! It was so good I also get Rapid Development by the same author. I also just recommend them both on my blog.

All I can say is thank you for writing your blog. Your blog is one of the best blogs online. It’s not fluff, you have really good content. It’s very thoughtful. I highly recommend it to any and all software developers. I know it’s required reading for me!

Hi Jeff,

Actually after posting my last comment, it made me think about something. For you to post such consistently interesting topics, and with the amount of detail and effort you put into each one, I can’t even begin to imagine how much time it takes you a week…

Hi Jeff. I read you blog daily (I’m even added it to my rss feed reader…), I’ve always appreciate your posts and youre style… Now, after this explaination, I can say you’ve got the Olympus of bloggers… At least for my personal thiught. :smiley:

If you wrote this post to get all of your readers to post a comment lavishing praise upon you and generally sucking your toes, it worked.

I love Coding Horror. :stuck_out_tongue: