On The Meaning of "Coding Horror"

Jeff,

Dont change a thing. Except bad coding.

Abel, are you trolling? :wink:

char *bra = (char *) Boobs;
*bra = (char *) Boobs;

On the last line you are casting a (probably) 32-bit pointer to a (definitely) 8-bit char.

You gotta be like Howard Stern was with listeners who whined and complained - you don’t like it, don’t tune in.

Your blogging stems from the maturity that you have as a person to reflect upon what you do, how you do it, and how you can improve. The issues that you bring to light only interest those who have depth, so screw the script kiddies and their short attention spans.

You rock - don’t change anything.

Your blog is certainly not limb-gnawingly boring! And on the times when I’m not interested in graphics card stats, I find myself able to close the window without losing any limbs…

I think the problem with blogs is the articles and the comments about the articles. If the articles are tedious, or the comments are tedious, then the blog is going to be tedious. As the owner of the blog you have little control over the comments. I don’t find much of what’s on Coding Horror amazingly insightful, but it’s worth it for the stuff that is. I also like WTF, and I wouldn’t like to have to choose between them.

Jeff,

I graduated from school almost two years ago now. Like you I am working for a small software company where you grow up and quickly and have to learn to hold your own. I truly find your blog educational and inspirational. I don’t get much education out of daily wtf. You’re constantly presenting new ideas, new things to think about as well as well as a wide variety of books that I’ve gone out and bought on your recommendation. So Long time reader, although it’s that obvious as I don’t comment that often. However you’re doing an AMAZING job and the commenter who related you to WTF doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Ps. Are you going to be on .NETROCKS anytime soon again ?

I read your blog every day. Keep up the good work. Loved the “Happiness only real when shared.” bit too.

This was a great post, thank you!

I found Coding Horror 'cause we’re both Steve McConnel fanboys. I have both editions and his writing makes me a better programmer. If I wrote a blog, it would be just like this one – so, I suppose I don’t have to.

Keep up the good work, Jeff.

I look forward to reading your posts.

g

Being borderline MTV/youtube generation, my attention span is shot to hell so long blog posts don’t fit well with me when there are a hundred other RSS subscriptions to flick through. That said, yours is one of the few blogs that I will stop and read from top to bottom. Very insightful and also very well written which is the key.

I’ve read an enjoyed this blog more times than I care to count.

It strikes a kindred note in my soul to realize that there is someone else in this world that understands what we go through.
Programming is to many of us; not just a profession but a love. I was first bitten in my early twenties in those glorious days when 64K was a LOT of memory and hard disk drives were what you were awed by at the 1st Northeast Computer Show in Boston, MA!
I’ve been at this for a long time and I’ve met and known a lot of the people who founded this industry but always remember, if it was not for guys and gals like us Jeff, none of this would have ever happened.
So, where am I going with this? WE ARE THE POINT!!!
We (us programmers) are the ones who put the magic in the box. The managers don’t do it, the accountants don’t do it, and Lord knows, the users don’t do it. We do.
And this blog not only lightens my day but also provides some real technical insights.
As for being horrified? We can all use improvement in whatever we do but for every horror that I’ve implemented, I’ve also implemented beauty, that piece of code or design where one has ‘nailed it’ the first time and it’s a wonder to behold. Any programmer who has done any amount of programming has experienced this and it is truly a wondrous feeling.
So, maybe I should start a counter (alter ego, whatever) site and call it “Coding Wonder”! That talks about the exemplary things that go on in our industry.
What do you all think?

Denver and the Tattered Cover. I miss Colorado. And love your blog. Just started tuning in every day just a few weeks ago. I “got it” right away, and have spent numerous lunch hours perusing the archives. From a Coding Horror Fan newbie and former Thornton - ite.

That talks about the exemplary things that go on in our industry.
What do you all think?

I don’t think you’d find much to wonder over…other than how do all these guys writing really bad code get paid!

As always Jeff, leave the hyperbole to others. Your posts are rational, balanced, and persuasive.

And most important, they are interesting, without having to resort to attention-getting tricks like hyperbole and profanity.

If what you write is limb-gnawing tedium, then Dare To Be Dull, dude. Thanks for writing.

Hey! I love the blog. Keep up the great work!

Now that you mention it… A few months ago you wrote one that bored me. But otherwise fine, Rock on Garth!!

Hey Now Jeff,
I’m very entertained educated by reading this blog.
Coding Horror Fan,
Catto

Jeff,
Since I began reading your blog earlier this year, I have had the feeling that you have access to my inbox. Now, I suspect that you’ve been following me around my career as well (probably cleaning up my messes). Your words are too often filled with truth, however uncomfortable. Thankfully, most of us can laugh at ourselves too.

Stay focused and keep up the good work. Ignore the haters.

-jeffh

Heh, I am definatly a coding horror infact so much so I am scared to blog my code, but I do it anyway in hopes to get help.

This was a very elegant post on the “why” blog that almost applies to me verbatum. So yes you hit on a variety of things that other people are concerned and interested about so keep up the good work.

Jeff,

Your blog is my Code Complete. Thanks.