On the Use of Cliches

Liked this post. My thoughts are that people in general (myself included) don’t have a great array of vocabulary and can find themselves using the same phrases/cliches in descriptions. In face2face communication it can be extremely easy to resort to cliches and they are the best friend of someone who is slightly awkward or is a bit uneasy. On a positive front I would say there is something very satisfying about using a cliche (especially when stonded), setting off on a journey of cliche origin findings and then discovering it!

So with this blog on a blog on cliches, when does it officially become a cliche in itself? How many will blog and point here (or gawker) and whats the number of uses that defines a cliche?

My vote is on any of the “Moving Forward” type of comment. God those just make me want to puke.

“Don’t fall into the same rut as everyone else.” - Nay, fall into your own rut. At least it will be yours.

(I find this to be a struggle as well.)

Best. Post. Ever.

(sorry. about. that.)

The “online cliche finder” is great.

I have seen some blogs that have a spell-checker built into the ‘comment’ software. I wonder if it would be possible to also build in a ‘cliche-checker’ that would flag in red any cliches before one hits the post/submit button? It would at least elevate the language somewhat.

I’m just saying we should be aware of what we’re writing and speaking. Is that a bad thing?

I found the use of the cliche “[your|my] work here is done” in the original blog ironic (my name links to a supporting Google search).

NO! Those clichs are mine! They are my little children that have spread out and been fruitful! Don’t stop using them! Don’t hurt my poor little children!

ooh ooh ooh, I’ve got one.

“a - conclusion one, 2 - conclusion two”

Most of these expressions aren’t unique to the blogosphere and have been around many years. The blogosphere merely happens to be most of its denizens’ first exposure to informal persuasive writing.

More coding, less horror, please.

I, for one, welcome our [trend or outlandish characteristic] overlords.

Exactly the same amount of coding and horror, please.

Anything involving an actual owl named ORLY is fine with me.

The Language Log blog has a longer analysis of the “X Y overlords” snowclone at http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000403.html, KR. I suspect that knowing more won’t reduce your ire, but it’s interesting to see the permutations analyzed.

“lickable” and “delicious X-y goodness” are two more that are especially prevalent in the OS X world.

“The last but not the least”

Not only it is a clich when written, people love to drop it in conferences like to pretend to be a good orator.

Someone mentioned “moving forward”, at my previous office I heard a whole lot of the “going forward” variant. It eventually turned into a joke, where the engineers would use it to mock management. Oh well. :slight_smile:

My maxim: avoid clichs like the plague.

I liked this one. YMMV.

“Don’t fall into the same rut as everyone else.”

A recursive cliche!

[Brain explodes]