Remotely Waking Up Your PC

Update to the above post…

Hey, I have a problem. I have a media center setup in my home. Have it setup so I can turn it on or off by wor(wake on ring). Problem is that if I turn on a light switch for the fan it boots my media center on. How can I prevent this from happening. I have a WOR cable hooked up to my mobo and I think my bios settings are correct. So, any help would be nice or point me in a direction with ppl that have similar problems.

Thanks again for your help in advance,
Sincerely,
bitor
email: s1pamstuff@hotmail.com

I’m not sure why you guys are having all these problems. i have an emachines AMD 3000+ - with this feature. If i’m downloading 3 gig from a newserver, once its done, it goes to sleep after 3 minutes. Then when I try to remote desktop into it, I have no problems. It wakes up,and I can remote to it without a problem.

Maybe i have different settings?

I made 2 batch files using poweroff3.0 by Jorgen Bosman and Wizmo By Steve Gibson for the following purpose

1.mute and turnoff the monitor -mute with wizmo, turnoff with poweroff
2.unmute and power on monitor - unmute with wizmo, turn on with poweroff

the code for the two batch files is

Hey folks! Some of the posts here have helped me a ton but at this point I am still stuck. I have a server I need to wake remotely via the internet. I have been able to wake it over my local intranet (LAN) but can not for the life of me get it to wake over the internet (WAN). If anyone knows how to get this to work I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure if I am setting up my router correctly so that might be the problem. Also in an earlier post I can’t input 192.168.0.255. The max it will allow is 244.

Here is my setup.

Router: D-Link DI-624
Provider IP: Static 68.109.73.xxx
Provider Subnet: 255.255.248.0
Lan Subnet: 255.255.255.0
NIC Card: Wired

** Also I figured out how to wake a wireless pc. You can do this by installing a wireless gaming adapter instead of a wireless card. The adapter plugs into a standard NIC card port(wired). The reason wireless cards won’t wake is because they have no power to receive the signals. The external adapters have seperate power supplies and therefore are able to continue the signal through to the PC. I am currently using the D-Link DWL-G820. It’s wireless G 108mbps. In a sense your using 2 NICs to solve one problem but with most boards having a built in NIC port it’s no different than adding in a seperate wireless card.

I enabled the “allow this device to wake the PC from standby” checkbox, and also made sure the “wake from poweroff” option was selected in the network card advanced properties.

I hibernated the PC, and then ran mc-wol. The PC woke up as expected.

I then hibernated the PC again, and ran mc-wol… but this time he PC didn’t wake up.

I started the PC Up again, rebooted, and then hibernated, and this time it woke up… but after hibernating a 2nd time, it wouldn’t work again…

Anyone have any ideas why my PC will only wake up once?

I have an Abit AN7 motherboard with onboard nvidia network card.

Thanks.

How about easy way? Access your PC power button through your browser:

https://ool-43537bf6.dyn.optonline.net/Power%20Web%20Button.htm

regarding post made by Steve Bush and others Feb 13 where WOL
does not fully awaken computer so that remote desktop cannot
logon and crashes the remote system,

I have fixed this possibly as follows:

The culprit is the add-on pci or pcie video card. If you use the onboard video no problem, but if you disable any onboard video thru the bios settings and use an add-on video card expansion slot (I am using geforce 8600 gts on an intel G33 express chipset under windows xp pro sp2, the motherboard has onboard video which I disabled) then you have this problem. The WOL command does not wake the video card fully although everything else is alive. This will crash windows remote desktop and as a protection may even freeze the system.

I updated my bios to latest and under video section I changed the setting from disable onboard to AUTO. This allows the WOL to poll the video on the MBO. I am not sure of solution if this option is not in your bios, but it does work so far. Otherwise, resort to onboard video.

Great blog! I love the honesty and humor mixed with the solutions. I found this while searching for a solution to my Wake on Lan problem. Like many others, I can wake my computer from another computer on my home network (wired), but when I try to wake it over the net, the Apple Airport Extreme Base station stops the incoming magic packet? I called Apple and their tech didn’t know what I was even talking about. I am trying to wake up a win xp pro computer on my wired home network (using apple router and netgear 8 port gigabit switch) from over the net. I tried the discus site and a couple of others. I put in the mac address, the external ip, and the subnet just like on the lan, but it won’t get thru the apple router. Anybody have any ideas?
-blue
p.s. Or can anybody recommend a router (wired wireless) that WILL allow me to do this?

I can accomplish remote wakeup over the internet using the dslreports.com site. I use RealVNC to work on the computer remotely. After I wake the computer remotely I can’t access it through VNC. When I boot it up physically VNC works like a charm. VNC is running in service mode by the way.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, i want to wake my computer at home, and it is behind an airport extreme router. I can wake it from inside my lan, but not from outside, even though I have made a port mapping of port 9. I think the airport extreme does not have this ability. Unfortunately. It stops the magic packet for security reasons. I found an explanation in an article called “don’t let sleeping Macs lie”. Google and read more.

Advertisement:
All routers from German manufacturer LANCOM Systems GmbH (www.lancom.de) have WOL support with current firmware. They can be instructed to generate the magic packet with MAC, IP and/or port target. They can route (or broadcast) any or specific packets as desired from WAN (inverse masquerading). With extended firewall included you are able to achieve this without loss in security, too.

Private:
Thanks for the amusing thread while solving the same problem with my office PC for home access.

BTW.: I’m using an ASUS P5LD2-SE with Realtek RTL8168B on board and the LEDs are NOT lit while the NIC wakes up fine on the magic packet. I wasted hours trying to bring them alight in PCs off state, till i recogniced the PC wakes up on network traffic without this obvious signal of power supply.

scheduled internet-based wake-on-line over internet - a href="http://www.rshut.com/products/wol"http://www.rshut.com/products/wol/a

I want code to make an HTML version of WOL so I can wake PCs from my phone. Can’t figure it out yet.

Thanks for the article! I discovered it worked best by disabling “Wake from shutdown” in the Advanced properties, and enabling “Allow to wake” in Power Management.

Good write up Jeff. I’ve been looking into a similar issue and found that KB815304 has to be installed on XP SP2 machines to allow RDP to wake up a machine from Standby. XP SP3 machines worked fine but KB8151304 is part of SP3.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to do this from a squeezebox to my pc over a wireless network?

Ideally the computer in my loft can be left on sleep when not being used but if I fire up a squeezebox this will kick it back into life.

Any advice for a relative novice to this area would be brilliant.

Cheers

why get out of your chair and walk 20 feet when you can spend two hours figuring out how to do it without moving at all?

Excellent. You know what, i would have done the same :slight_smile:

Well, good article. I reserched around 10 different WOL tools. The best one I’ve found is EMCO WakeOnLan: http://www.emco.is/products/wake-on-lan/features.php.

Thanks for this post - in my case the computer I need to wake up is in another building across campus, so knowing how to do this will save me a lot of time!

Thanks!