Search: If It Isn't Incremental, It's Excremental

I’m not fully in agreement with your view on code folding and #region but I love that I found out VS has incremental search via your link to this post.

What about Find and Replace? I haven’t seen that enacted in an incremental search function before. I think the Excremental dialogue is slightly better for that… until I see an ingeniously-implemented incremental search do it.

Notepad++ has the exact same intremental search as Firefox !!!

Laurent

Ah, forward slash, how do I love vi [improved]? Let me count the years… 10 … 20 … 30?
Inline search is the best reason to love vi, and yes emacs can get a little love too.

And just to show I’m not archaic, I use Resharper on VS2008 for my fancier searches, I’ve docked my find/replace dialog in an unpinned self-hiding tab at the bottom (near output, take that control-f) and I really like Notepad++ v5+ highlighting all the occurances of a word for me when I doubleclick a word to select it.

Yet I must point out that ‘I’ is just not close enough to my control key to see much rapid use. Yes, I use the Sun type 7 unix layout keyboard for my typing, though really any kbd with control in the middle of the left will do.

(I know this is an old post, but maybe this will help somone.)
@whm if you use incremental search and get lost in your code, try Ctrl minus to go back to your last position.

Ctrl± (minus) is Navigate backward, Ctrl+_ (underscore) is Navigate forward. There are also buttons on the toolbar (with a blue arrow).

The problem I have with Visual Studio’s incremental search is that case-sensitivity keeps turning on (because I use it in the regular find dialog). I wish I could make it always off. Or, even better, it would work like Vim’s smartcase: Only case-sensitive if I use capitals.

Amen!