Secretly, We're All Geeks

Scott Hanselman was kind enough to sing the praises of my blog a few months ago, completely unprompted. I finally met Scott in person at TechEd this year, and I can assure you that if you suck, Scott will be the first person to tell you that you suck.* That's how he rolls, ese. So getting a thumbs up from Mr. Hanselman is hard-earned praise indeed, and I do appreciate it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/06/secretly-were-all-geeks.html

From the link Kay provided:

Unless five hundred people read this article, I have failed. Unless thirty people leave comments, I have failed. Unless it is linked to by forty other blogs, I have failed. Unless it is still being linked to by other blogs in six months’ time, I have failed. Unless it is so brilliant that I am spontaneously contacted by Penguin publishing, who beg me to convert the article into a short and satirical self-help book that goes on to sell six million copies, then I have failed. And failed bitterly. I really suck. I do.

LOL, great stuff.

Amen, Jeff. I’ve been an adict to Leon’s blog for more than a year now, and one of the things that amazes me the most of the guy is his way of throwing off great ideas for great would-be applications (like TimeSnapper, for example) as if it was nothing.

Yeah Jeff, your blog rocks for the amount of effort you put into it, and Leon definitely is very funny!

One of my fav entries from his blog -
http://secretgeek.net/depression_is_easy.asp

“That’s how he rolls, ese.”

Settle down holmes :slight_smile:

Doug

“Man, Rory’s going to put a lot of poor starving shrinks out of jobs!”

???

I actually keep their lights on.

oh boy, i’m having a genuine Sally Fields moment here. Thank you Jeff!

doug -

“As for Rory getting his panties in a wad over your comments”

I’ve taken that post down. Until I know for certain whether Jeff was trying to insult me or he, like you, can’t do the “compliment without negative qualification” thing, I’m going to leave it down.

Rory, I didn’t get to read that before you took it down. I think you’re an amazing and highly entertaining writer, with a lot of great insights.

Now I have to pry it out of the Google cache…

“Rory, I didn’t get to read that before you took it down. I think you’re an amazing and highly entertaining writer, with a lot of great insights.”

Oh, crap.

I thought you were actually thinking that I was a good writer who sucked.

Glad I took that post down…

Jesus. I’m sorry.

It’s just that, with the way you phrased it, I got the wrong idea.

Well, the main difference between you and Leon is that I can laugh at Leon’s writing without feeling dirty and complicit in his personal life. :wink:

Great stuff as always, Jeff. Thanks, I’ve added some new feeds to my daily fix.

As for Rory getting his panties in a wad over your comments, there are many of us who agree with you: Rory is a good writer, but the details of his personal life aren’t nearly as interesting as he sometimes thinks they are.

Or maybe I’m just saying that because I have deep-rooted insecurity that prevents me from giving unconditional praise to others. Man, Rory’s going to put a lot of poor starving shrinks out of jobs!

i would’ve loved to have seen rory’s rant.

“i would’ve loved to have seen rory’s rant.”

Well, here it is:

thanks it s really kool!!