Smart Enough Not To Build This Website

Some miscreant could send any known Mensa member (if they know their e-mail) a constant stream of e-mails.

As a developer who works for a company that sends out plain text logins and passwords in both emails and mailings, I’d like to defend the intelligence of at least some portion of the developers who are doing this…

It’s not our choice. Really.

Sometimes, in spite of our best arguments and all evidence to the contrary, we are forced to do really dumb things by the powers that be. Usually this is done in a misguided attempt to provide more customer friendly solutions to a problem. And we hate every minute of it.

Sometimes we even go to extra-ordinary lengths to do the smart thing while making it appear that we are doing the dumb thing mandated by the powers. If they notice that we aren’t doing what they ask, we argue that it is a limitation of the technology. Or we log it as a bug in a long list of low priority bugs that will never see the light of day. Or we make the smart thing smarter so it can appear dumber.

And sometimes we are forced to do the dumb thing anyway. Then we can only make a note of our protests, reiterate them every chance we get, make snarky remarks in code comments, and - when it comes around and bites them in the posterior - gently remind the powers: We told you so.

So, please, take a moment and reserve judgment on the myriad of dumb programmers in the trenches - at least until you see their snarky comments in the code.

1 Like

Aside from the obvious privacy and security problems that everyone’s already mentioned…

• ColdFusion.
  • !-- Source Code Copyright 2001 Active Matter, Inc. www.activematter.com –
  • Above domain is dead.
  • Occasionally, it’s 2003
  • Name-based browser checks.
  • 200 lines of hardcoded switch-case lists for simple image swap code.
  • Spacer GIFs.
  • Can’t make up their mind whether they want www. prefixes in their subdomains or not.
  • !-- saved from url=(0022)http://internet.e-mail –

@Ilia Jerebtsov
I think you are making your point clear more than enough.

Does this site have a virus? I can see telling people not to register with a site, but usually you tell others not to visit a site because it runs some type of exploit.

…and the function _CF_checkCFForm_1() always returns true.

…and the function:

function exeMailTo(thisUser, thisServer, thisExt)
{
var sLink = ma + il + to + : + thisUser + @ + thisServer + . + thisExt;
//Check for a 4th, optional argument for default email subject
if(arguments.length 3)
{
sLink += ?subject= + arguments[3];
}
window.location = sLink;
}

just to hide the email address from spammers.

For Mensa, it should suffice to have Forgot password? Click here, without an input field. Anyone who can not memorize the automatically generated GUID-like password clearly has no business signing in there anyways.

@Ilia Jerebtsov

Yes. Every single web developer with an IQ 0 should know that they can swap images in CSS.
If you are using JavaScript for that, you are out of business(and certainly out of your mind).

…and don’t throw tables at me.

It doesn’t matter that they store the passwords in plaintext… every member has the same password: imagenius_notu

-m

Maybe they just send the hash - you’re in MENSA, figure it out from that.

Are they supposed to forget passwords?

@chris
That is clever.

There is one good cause for storing plain-text passwords, and that is that it allows for more secure authentication methods.

If the attacker can listen on the wire but can’t get access to the password storage, storing hashed passwords will allow the attacker to read the passwords on the wire, because storings hashed (and optionally salted) passwords means you also have to send a plaintext password, or a hash of it. Both are open to replay attacks.

Now, if you store the plaintext password you can use replay-safe authentication methods by having server and client agree on a one-time salt for sending a hashed password over the wire.

Most protocols (including e-mail submittal and retrieval, and HTTP) support both paradigms of authentication in one or more ways.

But as long as you’re on an unencrypted connection, you can’t have it both ways.
If you want both, using some public key crypto for the connection itself, establishing the crypto before authenticating the client. That way you can store a hashed and salted password and still be secure on the wire.

So if eavesdropping is a risk and SSL/TLS isn’t an option, storing plaintext passwords might not be that bad an option.

Submitted to: http://www.plaintextshame.com/

Send me my password doesn’t imply send me my old password they can just generate a new one on the fly and send it to you.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. What I found most curious about this post is the maybe I’m not smart enough to be in Mensa but… Looks like jealousy or something…

Intelligence and knowledge are two different things. The most inteligent people on the planet may not have that particular knowledge about building web sites so they hired someone who did the site the way it looks. Saying that mensa people are dump because you geeks found some mistakes in their site is weird and you pepole make fools of yourself.

Mensa site:
I am a member of British Mensa.
I wouldn’t worry in the slightest if someone got hold of my password.
There’s damn all of any use to anyone on their website.
If American Mensa is like UK Mensa, there won’t be any need to hide your password there either!

Err… They blather on and on. Why not just have a ‘forgot my password’ button? Oh, all the other stuff too.