That Means It's Working

If as programmers we come to the realization that everything we build sucks, how is it possible to remain happy with our profession? Wouldn’t the constant self criticism eventually lead to a what’s the point attitude?

"Nothing is sweeter to someone’s ears than their own name. " Honestly, I just wish people would stop calling and would stop emailing. Everyone is too damn needy and needs to learn how to get things done on their own.

@Phenwoods That’s not how I read Jeff’s blog. He’s not glorifying his incompetence, he’s saying in a tongue-in-cheek way that you need to learn from your mistakes and realize that not everything you code is perfect.

I heard a similar story on an NPR podcast yesterday. They said that neurosurgery residents who admitted they made mistakes and tried to correct them ended up staying in the program whereas those who blamed their failures on bad luck, others, etc. ended up dropping out or getting asked to leave.

I try to tell junior developer this, but they scoff. They believe they’re brilliant right out of college. You can’t tell them anything…they’ll learn.

@MarketGarden: That is why we do not hire programmers unless they have 5 years of experience. Its money well spent as we do not have to deal with any snot-nosed punks who think they know it all, but obviously do not.

@MarketGarden

I’ll admit that I’m fairly fresh out of college, but I still believe elegant programs can and should be written. As others have stated, this typically isn’t done in an organization as it isn’t “cost effective”. Why spend time planning a nice solution when you can start creating today.

Unfortunately this is the world the managers that deal with the bottom line, so it becomes ours as well. I think if true maintenance costs could be gathered using accurate metrics, this would be the point elegant programs would be found back in the spotlight.

Then again I’m just a “college grad”. Perhaps I’m only dreaming.

@MarketGarden
"I try to tell junior developer this, but they scoff. They believe they’re brilliant right out of college. You can’t tell them anything…they’ll learn."

Amen brother.

Another WTF post.

i can see that alot of you have become dedicated to “not getting it” with regards to Jeff’s writing. is it really so hard to understand the use of sarcasm, hyperbole, and self-deprecating humor? these are pretty low level literary devices.

I’ve previously blogged about the how much comments on this blog irratate me, but I have to admit, that even with the negative comments, the fact is people are READING the blog and adding to your popularity since someone else will at some point BLOG about it. Good or bad people still follow, if only to continuelly complain. Isn’t that what readership is all about in the end?

Now if only all of us can learn this important lesson :slight_smile:

Captcha: yahoo erably

This shouldn’t be narrowed to software development. It’s generally true that a personality attribute you dislike about someone else is because it’s something you hate or despise about yourself.

Think about it.

Just like a crap restaurant, you will still come by once it a while and see if it improves. Unfortunately, it didn’t today and just more self-egoistic crap.

This post is mostly about psychology than anything else. When you make, it implicitly says you make mistakes. This is true for any profession. The only difference is that in programming everything is new, there is no production phase and the errors stay in the product.

And yes, people who read your posts start to think and maybe open their mind.

Blog on system engineering
http://design-to-last.com

Classic quantifier error here: the post linked as ‘everything you write sucks’ actually makes the point that ‘everyone [sometimes] writes stuff that sucks’, which is a related but actually completely different assertion.

I agree in the sense that as I mature as a developer I’m much more critical of my work than I used to be – but don’t go as far as thinking my work sucks. Maybe I’m not there yet. Maybe I’m not quite the ‘Professional’ I think I am.

I’d like to personally invite those with nothing worthwhile or positive to add to the conversation to quit wasting my time with your “this sucks” posts.

Today’s amusing captcha: nice $11.2-million
– yes, $11.2 million would be nice, thank you.

I don’t know why I keep coming to this site and reading these articles, so now I shall stop.

@TJ: And that is why I as a software engineer coming out of college can’t find any good jobs, everyone needs 5 years experience, now how am I supposed to build such an experience when I am unable to get a job in the field?

It becomes a chicken and egg problem.

Now, I will tell you right now that not all of us think that way; not all of us believe that our shit doesn’t stink, and to be honest, I think most of my code absolutely sucks. There are a few gems hidden under all of the crap that make me proud and make me feel like I have accomplished something, but they are so uncommon that it makes me sad.

Feel free to click my name to see my portfolio website- it contains the projects I am most proud of that I have completed in the last three plus years while at the University I am currently attending.

Professionals realize everything they write sucks? Really? That’s the end result we’re all working towards??? I would think becoming a professional means learning to recognize when your code sucks and also knowing how to make it better.

I’ve been reading for some time now and you played a part in my decision to just start writing; not to become a raving egomaniac, but to share information with others who might somehow benefit from it. Popularity has a funny way of changing motives, so I guess it’s just a pitfall to guard against.

Paul Graham just release on essay that has something to do with this. “The idea that we’re the center of things is difficult to discard” -> http://www.paulgraham.com/randomness.html