The CSS Zen Garden and ASP.NET

I have done standards-based sites with ASP.NET 1.1 a couple of years. It is basically pretty straightforward: just ditch all the buildt-in controls and such, Repeater is really the only control that can be used when you want ultimate control over the HTML. You just have to know your standards (and semantics, findability, usability, accessibility, …) and the rest will come by itself. It is not an easy task – I’ve spent years studying those and now finally begin to feel confident.

This approach is much more flexible: the behavior and the structure can be done, tried and tested first, the design can wait until there is real data with an usable site to work with. This evidently leads to better sites, at least at my company. Of course there are lots of other benefits than just more flexible workflow.

Nice to see you guys are getting into this. I have seen lots of great site shells done by web designers, that have been destroyed afterwards by coders that don’t yet get it. Really exciting stuff.

My asp.net site (powered by community server) is also fairly heavy on the CSS side of things (though there are still a few tables lingering around). CS 2.0 will be 100% CSS driven. A good deal of thought needs to go into your div structure, but man is it a real timesaver when it comes time to write custom themes.