The Evolution of eInk

I had the Kindle Keyboard (that’s the 3rd gen I think) for a long time, after the paperwhite was released I started hoping it would break, but those things are sturdy. Around the time Voyage came out, it started crashing and battery life got annoying. However, reviews of the Voyage made me get a paperwhite instead. Too many “Monday models” seem to be around of it.

I’ll have to see if I’ll upgrade for a 2nd edition of I just wait for whatever comes next.

D’oh! Finally a good reason to get a kindle, and I knew it was possible for some time already. I’d probably use pocket though. Also, I’ll go and buy one thanks to this. Any way to do it and get you your commision? :stuck_out_tongue:

Kobo ereaders are integrated with Pocket, so you may want to take a look to those. I use it a lot on mine.

2 Likes

Damn, I never realized there are so many flavors of e-Ink!

Do they have “unlimited” 3G worldwide as well? Some people sure seem to love it regardless the few missing features, and I’m not sure how much I’d use that limited 3G anyways.

No, they don’t have 3g… In fact I suspect that only amazon has it. But I use mi ereader mostly at home, and I have a huge list of articles pending to read, so it0’s not an issue for me.

Anyway, you can use tethering with a smartphone in order to update pocket articles.

Oh, a warning: since a couple of firmware updates, the experimental browser tends to hang the device. A ereader is not oriented to Internet browsing, but it comes handy to look things on wikipedia.

1 Like

Yeah, it does look like eInk is still too slow for browsing internet…

I was mostly hoping to use its 3G for reading emails and, yes, wikipedia alikes, in places I can’t find internet for whatever reason when travelling around.

I guess I’ll just have to try both eventually. Thanks for all hints! :slight_smile:

Personally spending a few hundred dollars on a tablet, and then spending another few on e-ink did not make sense to me. The kindle app is free, and installed on retina ipad mini, does the job. Currently reading Clean Code by Robert Martin on it, and everything displays 100%. No issues with code blocks or images. Perhaps the kindle device works different than the app?