The IPS LCD Revolution

Thank you for this post, I kept your blog in google reader for a long time because I knew you would eventually deliver something like this :slight_smile:

Jose Quesada, Here is how I got it to work in Ubuntu with the nvidia driver:

http://madskj.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/fsm-270yg-led-in-ubuntu-12-04/

James,
I have the same issue with the monitor I received. I put some pictures on Smugmug to show the difference between the left and right sides. Did you get a resolution from the seller? Did you have to mail the monitor back?

http://hendric.smugmug.com/Other/IPS-monitor/24665874_8GXR3j#!i=2016441844&k=V8Bjm2G

120hz for me is a must even when using TN screens, due to eyestrain at 60hz is horrible for me. getting old I guess.
IPS with 120hz, count me in.

I am Dong Whan Koo as the seller that Scott Wasson wrote the review about Korean monitor linked in the webpage of
[ http://techreport.com/articles.x/23291/2 ]. On behalf of my company, I would appreciate to all the international
customers who had bought our products so far. And we did not expect that Korean monitor would have been so popular in
the quality and the price. In some of cases that had come with faulty goods in screen, we deeply regret that we couldā€™t
do the better process of delivery system since we had tested all the monitors before sending overseas. As you all know
about LCD panel, they are sometimes too fragile in a particular impact or pressure although it happens only 3% in the
way of sales. We hope that all the customers are satisfying 100% in what we try and what you get in future. And we think
that it might be better in situation if we have a proper logistics agency in there. If you donā€™t mind, we are wondering
if you could recommend any corperate companies to sell, dealing with electronics and computerwares. If so in any possible
way to give you better warranty, I think we might do better customer services for all customers.

Kind Regards

Update-- Got a powered mini displayport to DVI dual-link from Amazon (startech, $96, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I6L6DW) and the FSM-270YG monitor works great with my 2011 MacBook Pro.

Two of mine (FSM-270YG LED) just arrived yesterday. Seemed all was well until the second monitor warms up after 30 minutes to 1 hour and then randomly turns blank (appeared like signal loss).

Turning the screen off and on again yields a picture for about 30 seconds or less until it happens again.

Iā€™ve just contacted the seller so Iā€™ll see what happens. The other monitor works fine though. Canā€™t fault the panel though it seems the circuitry behind it can be a bit shonkey.

The only downside to IPS panels is burn-in.

People usually donā€™t realize that LCD panels would exhibit it, but with IPS panels, it can happen. The manufacturers mention this in their warranty notice and they say that any burn-in damage is not covered by warranty.

My years-old IPS panel retains the Windows 7 taskbar for quite a long time after one year of use of Windows 7. The ghost image disappears in time, but it seemed to be getting a bit worse. The display, however, went crazy so I cannot see what would happen in another year.

What model of Ergotron are you using? They seem to recommend MX for any monitors >24 inches, but if the LX is possible, thatā€™s the one Iā€™ll get.

Does anyone know how to remove the stand arm on these monitors?

What is the Video card your using or others are using to hookup 3 of the korean dvi dual-link 2560x1440 monitors?

There is a better one in China, IPS + LED / 27ā€™ /VGA, DVI-D Dual link, HDMI, DisplayPort Support, 2560*1440.

http://www.360buy.com/product/640192.html

$331.63

Caveat Emptor.

Iā€™ve just been mulling over purchasing one of these monitors. A word of warning; if you are buying off eBay ensure you review the seller ratings. There are a number of ā€˜Top Rated Sellersā€™ who have achieved this status by selling other items aside from monitors.

For instance, I was checking out a Wecube model from one seller and could find no positive feedback for this monitor in the past month, only negative feedback regarding bleed etc.

So take your time and check out your seller carefully.

@Binarymist I strongly suspect Jeff isnā€™t using a video card to power those three monitors; more likely than not he is using multiple cards (probably two monitors on one and one monitor on another).

@Jeremy, You can drive up to 4 of these monitors with a single gtx 670/680 or a radeon 7970. They feature 2 dual link DVI outputs, plus HDMI and Displayport outputs, all of which can be used simultaneously.

Recent workstation replacement laptops like the Dell Precision/HP Elitebook series with quadro km series are also capable of driving 4 WQHD displays.

I bought some of the Auria panels from MicroCenter which Christopher mentioned above, they are A- panels just like the Korean ones (ie all have some minor defect). They were good monitors for a great price but ultimately I found the glare too distracting and returned them for some of the new ASUS PLS 27" panels.

The PLS panels were double the cost of the Korean IPS panels but well worth it in my opinion because of their semi-glossy coating which provides good contrast and minimal glare without the grainy ā€˜screen doorā€™ effect present on matte IPS panels.

Question for Jeff and/or those who donā€™t speak Koreanā€¦ how do you make an order on those Korean sites? :slight_smile:

Hi I wanted to get high quality US IP but there was a problem right after some days. I searched on google and discovered a very useful link proxyrental.net. They are very supportive. Believe me, my problem has resolved.

One more datapointā€¦ ordered a FSM-270YG for $350 from an eBay seller with a good rep. It showed up a scant three days later. Zero dead/stuck pixels. Tossed the Korean power cord and used one of the dozens of PC cords Iā€™ve got lying around. Works magnificantly.

Sup guys.

How can I get a monitor from eBay with NO dead pixels absolutely?

Even one dead pixel is unacceptable for me.

Can you update the photo links, trying to sell these monitors to my coworkers, they still seem to be the best value monitors around :smile: