The Sporkfe

I found some hilarious suggestions when I put “spoonforknife” into the Internet Anagram Server. http://wordsmith.org/anagram/

I think “sporkfe” is difficult to pronounce, even though it’s more descriptive from splade.

Elie is correct, “sporkfe” is awkward to pronounce.

Splayde treats the fork as some third class citizen and, as such, opens the door to a class action suit by all those madder forkers out there.

What about Splaydork? In French we would have Le Splaydork. Roll it off your tongue a few times - OK, with the cerrated edge that might be dangerous - but I truly believe this is the best option of all three.

that thing (emphasis on thing) makes my head spin :smiley:

If your that keen to do away with traditional cutlery in favour of some do-it-all time saver, why nut just use your hands?

That’s right kids. Hands. The wash up easy. They’re always within arms reach. And unlike clumsy eating tools, Hands ™ can apply the full tearing force your arms possess. Put two hands together and you have a cup. It’s just that simple!

The problem with combining these words is that they all have k in them and two of them have f in them, and the sound of spork is already taken by sporks.

Probably sporfek (spor-fehk) (because it has the feh where people expect the kuh sound of spork to be) could work, or knispok (nee-spohk) (because it sounds completely different than spork).

Err. Not sure this is relevent here, but I have noticed something of a trend in North America / Canada to use a knife and fork at the start of a meal to cut it all up, then swith to the fork only for eating. Except, in practice, I used to notice that my Canadian ex used to occasionally realise, half way through the plate, that some food was not cut up enough so she would swap fork back to left hand, knife back in right, cut, then put knife back down and pick up fork in right hand again.

Whereas, I was brought up (in England) to use knife and fork throughout the eating process. There are crazy exceptions, of course, like soup, where we learnt that spoons were the only implement worth using.

I wonder if possible ‘cultural’ difference in how we learnt to eat could contribute to a difference in preference for sporkfe or splayds or whatever?

When cutting food in the traditional table sense, you stabilize the food with your fork…what do you use with the sporkfe, another sporkfe?

Personally, being the outdoorsy type, I prefer the Hobo utensils over sporks and such. Do a Google for “hobo fork” and you’ll see some examples of this convenient design.

Haha, worst invention ever! Personally, I’m not too comfortable with the idea of sticking a serrated blade into my mouth. Not even a plastic one.

How long until we get a combination fork/spoon/knife/straw/apple-corer/melon-baller/cheese-grater/ballpoint pen?

Just so, Jeff, except that, unlike the Swiss Army concept, the Hobo can be disassembled into its individual utensils…“Unique locking system allows utensils to be used assembled or easily slid apart.”

I now own the ultimate geek artifact… the Titanium Sporkfe!

via: SparkFun S.H.O.V.E.L. - TOL-11763 - SparkFun Electronics

1 Like