The World's Slowest Windows XP System

just so u all know, the pentium was the 486. they could not market the name “486” and it could have been the first pentium overclocked to 20 Mhz.

i once installed windows 3.0 on a 60 hz equitrac terminal computer with 1024k ram it takes only a little while to load and has a GUI. this is probably the simplest setup possible and is still compatiable with modern windows xp programs. i loaded notepad, wordpad, solitaire and othello (nicknamed resetti). By swapping the 2.5in 64mb flash drive with my laptop’s hard disk with an adapter i was able to write the programs to the disk other programs from a floppy disk. the system even has microsoft antivirus and looks somewhat similar to the os they were running on the macintosh se. i’m also trying to run windows xp on a pentium one 199mhz with 2.16gb hard disk but keep running into error “vga64k” probably too little ram.

When Windows 95 was introduced, the minimum specs were a 386DX with 4 megs of RAM, VGA card and about 50 megs of hard drive space. (It would still install on a 386SX.) This was to bring in as many Win 3.1 users as possible and while 95 ran (but very slowly) it started people on the never-ending upgrade march.

I’m running Windows 95 on a 386-40 w/32 megs of RAM, 387 co-pro, SCSI hard drive and CD-ROM, Soundblaster soundcard and Intel LAN card (which connects through a router to my cable modem).

If you’re going to try Win95 on a 386 you really need 32 megs of RAM (Win 95 is faster on a 386-40 w/32 megs of RAM vs. a slow 486 with only 4 meg RAM).

Windows 95 will use a math co-pro to speed things up.

And yes, you can install and run Windows 3.0 on an 8088 with 640K. If you replace the 8088 CPU with a V20 you can use a VGA card at 640x480-16 colors (some older 16-bit VGA cards will work in 8-bit slots). Very few apps will run under Windows 3.0 in ‘real mode’ on an 8088/V20 but Word for Windows 1.1 and Excel 2.1 both will. (Bet you didn’t think an 8088 could run Word for Windows or Excel!)

I’ve even gone on the Internet with a V20 12mhz. computer, some expanded memory and a cable modem connection!

The dude on the website (if u actually read it) changed the jumper settings to change the clock speed down to 20mhz duh. He said that when he installed xp on it it took around 4 hours. If you look, he also got it down to 8 mhz, and he has a screenshot of the task performance manager, showing the processor working constantly at 100%. I remember overclocking my old 486 dx2 66 using jumper settings up to 100mhz lol, ran hot tho :slight_smile:

retards, read the link. Nuff said, the guys at winhistory use a German installation of winXP. QQ noobs if you’ve only spent time with pentium era hardware.

if xP can run on this that means that it can run on a psp!!!

psp CPU speed is 333MHz and 32 MB of RAM!!!

it could be instaled at the minimum specs then had the processor underclocked and 32mb of ram removed