Web Development as Tag Soup

After a quick Ctrl-F through for Flex, I see only three references - I think that the signal to noise ratio (noise presumably being PHP, ASP and any % % stuff [Python Server Pages etc] is low enough for me to have to give Flex a fourth nod. The reason Flex (and similar things like Silverlight) can get around the tag madness is that they don’t do HTML, so they define UIs declaratively in a manner much more akin to normal (desktop) application development. Since the page production doesn’t consist of a top-to-bottom evaluation (basically a big Main function) you can write proper event-driven code and perform all the user interaction on the client, where it belongs, without having to deal with Javascript browser incompatibilities.

Without wanting to sound too much like a Flex fanboy, I have to say that it’s a lot easier to write good code in Flex / Actionscript than it is in ASP/C#, HTML/PHP, or any other server-side framework. Write web services / REST services to deal with the server-side stuff and design a nice event-driven UI for the client. You shouldn’t be worrying about transmitting forms over the wire in HTML. Try it, you might like it :slight_smile:

Vote 1 nhaml

Vincent sees 20 lines of blog and immediately concludes everything should be thrown in the wastebasket, without even wondering if there was more to the point.

Such as mentioning the existence of ‘good spaghetti code’ and postulating if there IS indeed a better way of doing things. Question (partially) answered I’d say from the reaction/comments received.

I have always liked the seperation using XSLT/XML, but never had a real opportunity to explore it.
However given how verbose xml is and how XSLT never caught on in the main stream, it is a pity!

Rendering engines are the new craze, however it is a new syntax/construct to learn :frowning: